We now are paying for ATT's property taxes.

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by wilbur_the_goose, Oct 13, 2019.

1. wilbur_the_goose

wilbur_the_goose Hall Of Fame

Aug 16, 2006
    For the second time in 12 months, AT&T is raising its price on DIRECTV and U-verse TV customers but this time it is to cover AT&T’s property taxes. Recently AT&T started to notify customers that it will be raising its “Cost Assessment Charge” on their TV bills from 2.92% to 7% in California.

My gawd - can this company get any worse???

AT&T is Raising The Price of DIRECTV & U-verse TV For The Second Time in 12 Months on Some Customers - Cord Cutters News

2. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    Just passing the saving on to you -as all services & Company's do

3. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    Basic economics 101:

Businesses don't pay taxes. Nor lawsuit judgements, higher wages, fines, court costs, insurance premiums, etc.

CUSTOMERS DO.

wilbur_the_goose likes this.
  4. dtv757

dtv757 Icon

Jun 3, 2006
    So if you read the original article :

AT&T raises prices 7% by making its customers pay AT&T’s property taxes

Looks like this applies to SMB customers and att internet/ uverse

The original article and the persons screen shots do not mention DirecTV...

["Effective October 1, 2019, there will be an increase in the AT&T Cost Assessment Charge used to recover AT&T property taxes. The monthly rate will change from 2.92% to 7.00% of your total AT&T Business Internet, Phone and/or U-verse TV monthly charges. This charge is not a tax or fee that the government requires AT&T to collect from its customers."]

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

5. wrj

wrj Legend

Nov 23, 2006
    Don't worry, I'm sure they'll make it up to you with excellent customer service. :rolleyes:

242424 and wilbur_the_goose like this.
  6. CTJon

CTJon Godfather

Feb 5, 2007
    Everyone pays for every business - what do you expect - talk to your state, city ,etc about the fact they raised taxes. Customers always pays - at least AT&T is being transparent about where costs are coming from

7. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    If the customer isn't paying, then the company is losing money and will go out of business. (unless they are doing something illegal like laundering money or drugs.....)

8. codespy

codespy Sorry Bears Fans! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    There are times where I think AT&T is on drugs. :grinning:

wilbur_the_goose likes this.
  9. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    That really isn’t the point. All these pass through fees are just a way for the various companies to hide the true cost of whatever you’re signing up for. IOW, the subscription fee for their service should be the total cost, not including taxes, but it isn’t.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Rich and wilbur_the_goose like this.
  10. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    Your expecting an accurate article from cord cutters. Lol silly silly man

HGuardian and dtv757 like this.
  11. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Drugs? Probably not. Although, I'd be surprised if no top exec at AT&T Charlie Sheens it, at least once in a while.

Laundering money? Doesn't every company massage the books to make them look better? Same way a regular person could do their taxes on Turbo Tax and use all the ultra conservative rules or you can go to a tax guy (no, not H&R, but a "real" tax guy) who knows the loop holes and how far into the gray areas you can go without breaking the law or triggering an audit.

12. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    "This charge is not a tax or fee that the government requires AT&T to collect from its customers."

And yet there it is, itemized on the bill. It is a tax or fee that the government requires be paid ... and AT&T's primary source of income is their customers, so where else is AT&T expected to get the money?

Most of these costs are rolled in to the price of providing service. But just like splitting out the cost of locals and regional sports networks, distributors want their customers to know why their bills are going up. Having a line item makes it more obvious and allows AT&T to charge the customers in the area where they are being charged the fee instead of raising their prices nationwide or (ha!) eating the cost out of AT&T's profits.

HGuardian likes this.
  13. bjdotson

bjdotson Legend

Feb 20, 2007
    The difference is that there are taxes or fees that the government levies on consumers AND requires a company to collect for them. A good example is sales taxes. A tax levied directly on the company is a cost to the company which is rolled into the overall cost of doing business and as such is recouped from the customers via pricing. Examples would be employees, infrastructure, equipment and materials. Customers ALWAYS pay for these costs plus profit for the company.

14. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    It is a question of semantics. AT&T isn't paying the taxes and fees whether or not the tax/fee targets the customer or the company. The customer pays. The difference is whether the company quietly pays their taxes or if they announce the tax/fees publicly as a line item. The line items help customers understand why prices keep going up, but can be confusing.

My employer sends all employees an annual statement which shows the money paid to the employee and the deductions made from the employee's wages (the same information one sees on a W2) but they also include money paid directly that does not come out of the employee's wages (such as the company's portion of social security and medical insurance. It is their way of reminding employees that while the employee may be paid $60k per year, the cost to the company is $100k per year.

15. bjdotson

bjdotson Legend

Feb 20, 2007
    I agree with your statement; I was addressing the quote in the original post. The guy made a big deal about this, implying that the ATT didn't need to charge the customer this. But of course (as we are both saying) they would charge for this regardless. My point was that the article was obviously referencing mandated customer taxes like sales taxes.

16. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    You guys are correct, the customer pays all fees. But the reason they break them out isn’t for any other reason than to be able to advertise things like “subscriptions starting at $39.95”, when the truth is the bill will be higher because of these ‘hidden fees’. Yeah they show up on the bill, and probably in the VERY tiny fine print somewhere before that.

Cell companies do the same thing. Heck, many hotels are doing it with their ‘resort fees’ that are barely shown and now some bars in LV are adding a ‘convenience fee’ to drinks you buy. All mandatory, all made very less visible and all very much bogus.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Araxen likes this.
  17. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Sigh.... AT&T Fiber or Spectrum Internet..... what do I choose?

18. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    I went with AT&T fiber as there was no data cap with our plan.

dtv757 likes this.
  19. buggerit

buggerit New Member

Oct 22, 2019
    This would be more believable if the property taxes supposedly covered by this CAC had actually increased.

20. PHL

PHL Legend

Jul 15, 2004
    Have to wonder how long before a company starts charging an "employee environmental homeostasis fee" to pay for the air conditioning in their call centers.