1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"Weed" from the NY Daily News

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Rich, Sep 1, 2013.

1. Sep 1, 2013 #1 of 42
    Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    This article was in the NY Daily News a couple days ago. The online version of the article is much more informative than it was in the paper. Kinda surprised. Perhaps I should pay more attention to the online version than paying a buck a day for the paper edition. In any event, the article is very interesting. And should raise some hackles on the forum. Here's the LINK.

Rich

2. Sep 1, 2013 #2 of 42
    Herdfan

Herdfan Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    What article? Link?

3. Sep 2, 2013 #3 of 42
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Can't believe I did that. Here's the link. Full disclosure: I was NOT inebriated in any way, shape or form when I made that mistake. Just a random act of stupidity. My apologies to anyone who looked and got confused.

Rich

4. Sep 2, 2013 #4 of 42
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I was wondering last night why nobody replied to that OP. My thanx to Herdfan for letting me know what I had failed to do.

I've been kinda bored with the OT for a few weeks and wanted to start a thread that would spark some controversy. If you're really interested in this topic, there is a lot of info in that article I linked to. You really have to read the whole thing.

Rich

5. Sep 2, 2013 #5 of 42
    Herdfan

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    You're welcome.

I have said this before, it is a plant that has been used for thousands of years and only been illegal for 76.

I was having a conversation about legalization with a friend of mine who is a deputy sheriff. He was flat out against it until I proposed this scenario. We both have daughters that will be going to college in a few years and we both went to college and had more than our share of good times, many of which involved the over consumption of alcohol.

So I gave him a scenario in which there is a party in an apartment with about 20 people even guys and girls. If you daughter were at such a party, would you rather her and the guy she went there with get drunk or smoke some weed. He immediately said get drunk. So I asked him why and his response was weed is illegal. I asked him if he takes that of of the equation would his answer change and he said no. So I told him I would much rather my daughter be in a room where pot was being smoked than them getting drunk for the following reasons: 1) weed doesn't make you aggressive (regardless of what the movie Reefer Madness told us) so the chances of 2 stoned guys getting into a fight is so much lower; 2) weed does not make you lose you inhibitions anywhere close to what alcohol does. So the chances of her getting stoned and date raped by an aggressive (See #1) guy are much lower; 3) as bad as it sounds, would rather her be in car with a stoned driver than a drunk driver; 4) to my knowledge, no one has stoned themselves to death. I think on some level he saw my point.

Plus if the party were on a week night, she would not be hung over and would still make it to class the next day. :)

Charles Krauthammer, the Fox News commentator recently said if he were starting a society and had to pick one intoxicant, it would be weed, not alcohol. I tend to agree with him. It is much less harmful than the public has been led to believe and with new methods of ingestion (vaporizing and edibles), even the harmful smoke argument is moot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMqiBg1qpo4
    CO and WA are going to be watched very closely as to how they handle the legalization. Plus if anyone saw the Gupta special on CNN, he showed there are some actual medical uses for weed. Aside than the little kid, the young guy with the breathing defect was very interesting.

We have been told that weed is just a gateway drug. Why is that. My opinion is that IF it is, it is not because of the weed itself, but because of the people you have to know to get it. Drug dealers are called pushers for a reason. So instead of getting it at a controlled dispensary, you have to go into the back alleys and deal with less than savory people. So the dealer is out of weed, he can give you "something else" instead and before you know it you are hooked on coke. JMHO

Plus add to that the $millions we are spending putting people in jail for possession of a plant instead of focusing on real crimes has taken its toll on society.

My 2 cents.

1 person likes this.
  6. Sep 3, 2013 #6 of 42
    Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    One reply? Really? This is the dreaded drug marijuana we're talking about! Nobody has any comments? Something to spice up a boring OT?

Rich

7. Sep 3, 2013 #7 of 42
    Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
  8. Sep 3, 2013 #8 of 42
    longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    I agree with everything Herdfan said, pot causes far less issues than alcohol. I will not repeat everything but I actually just had the same discussion with a friend but I did not make him see the light. There were a couple differences, I have no kids and his son is only 5 but still I think some people just consider it the 'evil weed'. To me violence is the biggest difference, the only thing assaulted by a stoner is a bag of Doritos. I think it will be legalized under the same restrictions as alcohol with the next decade or two, just maybe we can learn something from Prohibition. Now what was that definition of insanity...

1 person likes this.
  9. Sep 4, 2013 #9 of 42
    djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Over the years, my position has been changed. Yeah, I've been convinced - and it only took 30 years. Personally, I can't stand the stuff. I've only ever been exposed to it twice and got "contact highs" from being in the same room. Both times I did NOT like the effect it had on me and I avoid that stuff like the plague (and working for the Air Force I'm subject to random drug tests ANYway so 'not killing my career' is another good reason to avoid it).

But, over the years, I've seen some of the positive effects in addition to the negative ones. And, to be honest, it's the alcohol-comparison arguments that are *for me* the most convincing. I have a problem with double standards so allowing alcohol and prohibiting marijuana strikes me as inconsistent and therefore wrong. Add to that all the "Just look how well Prohibition worked" arguments and, well, I've been convinced.

10. RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP Kwisatz Haderach of Cordcuttery

Jan 23, 2008
    LOL, Rich. It's just not the demon weed everyone makes it out to be.

Sometimes it's the only thing that helps my migraines.

11. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
  12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    We recently asked our 23 year old son if he ever tried pot and he said he did, but it "wasn't for him". Every once in awhile I see a bottle of liquor in his room/s. Stuff that I wouldn't touch or pay a cent for. I was an exceptionally good drunk for many years and I do miss beer, but the urge for other forms of booze isn't there.

Rich

13. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I know, I was just trying to stir up some interest in the thread. Or should I say, "Stir the pot"?

Rich

1 person likes this.
  14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    A few years ago a police officer asked me about DARE. He had been offered the DARE job and wanted to know how I felt about it. I told him I did not like the idea of getting kids to rat out their folks. In the end, when that happens, kids end up in foster homes. Of course, the conversation was much longer and more involved than that tidbit, but he ended up declining the job.

Rich

15. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    If legalization does take hold nationwide the biggest benefit to me would be a defined standard of 'under the influence' I have a real issue with drug testing as currently practiced in that being under the influence lasts typically 2 to 8 hours but it is detectable for up to a week. This zero tolerance can be defended by it being illegal on at least a federal level. I have a problem with ZT on any level and in this case it is none of an employers business what you do on Friday night as long as when you come in Monday morning you are straight and sober. It is comparable to the high school student who was suspended for alcohol use. She took COUGH SYRUP that morning and while the level was about 1/10 of impairment ZT kicked in and out she went. :(

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    It actually takes a month for pot to leave the body. I went thru the whole drug testing process while I was working. We started with "for cause" (like if you drive a forklift into a wall for no good reason) and progressed to random testing. Before we reached the random testing stage we attended many meetings with the new drug policy group who proceeded to prove (at least to me) that alcohol is the "gateway drug", if there is really such a thing. We included union officials in one meeting and a shop steward who was very aggressive and feared by many supervisors asked why he "couldn't do a doobie on a Friday when he could do a few lines of coke and pass the drug test on Monday". I thought that was a great question. The drug policy group didn't. Bunch of fanatics, they were. And clearly brainwashed.

Rich

17. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Rich-

I am having trouble coming up with the good reasons for driving a fork lift into a wall......

!rolling

18. Cholly

Cholly Old Guys Rule! DBSTalk Club

Mar 22, 2004
    Indian...
    I wonder about the differences between being drunk and being high on weed when (stupidly) driving a car. I've never smoked pot, other than inhaling someone's second hand smoke. On the other hand, I've been a moderate consumer of alcohol (bourbon is my drink of choice) for over 50 years. I've cleaned up after drunks many times during those years, and learned that a glass or two of wine or a few ounces of bourbon were as much as I want to have. I was once DUI while in the Army at Ft. Gordon, GA during the Masters tournament. Several other cadre members and I had the habit of stopping at the old Bon Aire hotel bar and had built up a friendship with the bartender. During the Masters, he worked bar "upstairs" and we of course went up to see him. He poured drinks very generously, and by the time we headed back to the post, we were feeling no pain. I was the driver and remember vividly my thoughts of "I'd better hurry back to the post before I get drunk," We made it back to the barracks safely, but when I got into my bunk, I had to keep one foot on the floor to keep the room from spinning. Never again did I drink like that --even in Vegas, where they deliver free drinks to you while you are playing the slots.

19. Herdfan

Mar 18, 2006
    Teays...
    That is a great question. Never thought of it that way.

20. djlong

djlong Hall Of Fame

Jul 8, 2002
    New Hampshire
    Most of the "gateway drug" arguments use bad math.

I mean, the way they collect their data, I almost expect them to classify MILK as a gateway drug because you can point to just about every hard drug user as someone who had milk as a child at some point in their lives.