WEEK #1: How Will Immunity Be Determined?

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Mark Lamutt, Jan 23, 2004.

WEEK #1: How Will Immunity Be Determined?

1. One Immunity Idol, Immunity Challenge Winner and 2nd Place Finisher are Safe. Losing Tribe Goes to

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Two Immunity Idols, Immunity Challenge Winner and 2nd Place Finisher are Safe. Losing Tribe Goes to

30 vote(s)
    25.9%
  3. One Immunity Idol, Immunity Challenge Winner is Safe. Second Place Tribe and Losing Tribe Both Go t

24 vote(s)
    20.7%
  4. One Immunity Idol, Two (or more) Immunity Challenges are Used to Determine Which Tribe Goes to Triba

48 vote(s)
    41.4%
  5. None of the Above - something else happens that is not listed in the above choices.

14 vote(s)
    12.1%
  1. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    There are 3 tribes, so how will the immunity challenges work? Will the tribe that comes in last be the tribe that goes to Tribal Council, or will only the winning tribe be safe, and the 2 losing tribes go the TC? Will there be 2 immunity idols, or just one?

How's this all going to work?

Poll Closes ~Midnight EST Saturday January 31st.

This poll is worth 5 points.

2. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Update to clarify: If there is one immunity idol, then there is one immunity idol, regardless of what it does or doesn't do, and if both the winner and 2nd place tribe are safe, then option #1 is correct.

3. jcrash

jcrash Legend

Jul 21, 2002

Hmm...I think Probst is making your job harder! I dislike two of your questions this time, as I think they are at least open to dispute.

I read this as saying - if the two tribes that DON'T lose a member each have an immunity idol in their camp, then there are two immunity idols - especially if the two idols represent different concepts. If they were, for example, two halves of a coin, I can see that as one item, but if they were say, sword and a sheath - then those would be two different things (in my mind).

Like I said, tough call. Things may be all up to your interpretation.

Good luck, all!

4. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    I think a fair compromise would be to see how Jeff might first introduce the immunity object(s). Does he refer to it as a singular idol, or as multiple idols.

5. dbkelly

dbkelly AllStar

Sep 20, 2002
    What's the verdict here? Mark, you specifcally said "one immunity idol, regardless of what it does or doesn't do". Meaning the ENTIRE idol goes to the IC challenge winner camp.

BUT, what if it's one physical idol, that breaks in half (one half for the IC winner and the other for the runner-up). Does this count as two idols?

6. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    dbkelly, that's what I was trying to avoid saying. If the immunity idol breaks into 2 parts, it is still one immunity idol that happens to be in 2 parts. NOT 2 immunity idols.

(Unless of course Jeff specifically says that the pieces are 2 separate immunity idols, and then it is 2, not 1. But that will have to be specifically said on the show.)

7. Feb 2, 2004 #7 of 22
    Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Official Ruling: There is ONE immunity idol (Jeff made reference to THE immunity idol at least twice), and as it split into two parts, the 2nd place team was also safe.

The first answer is correct.

8. Feb 2, 2004 #8 of 22
    Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Judging from the way the idol was made.... we may have three tribes merge into two...

9. Feb 2, 2004 #9 of 22
    abospaum

abospaum AllStar

Jul 11, 2002
    This ruling is so bogus. If next week or during the course of the next few weeks if Probst asks the second place team for their immunity idol then these points should be reversed.

To say that it is one idol but two parts is completely separate from saying that there is one idol and the second team is safe. This implied that the second team gets nothing except that they don't go to council.

Any of us who voted for two idols could have guessed that the pieces will fit together for when they only want to have one remaining idol. My bet is that the two pieces of the immunity idol are not rejoined until at least one tribe is eliminated or their is a merge.

Two pieces is 2 idols.

10. abospaum

abospaum AllStar

Jul 11, 2002
    Mark, in your previous post you said that unless Jeff specifically says that there are two immunity idols. He essentially did. Saying that each team will be playing for immunity. If next week he asks for the idols back then what?

11. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    Well, I heard Jeff say, "this is the immunity idol", "here is one piece of the idol", "here is the other piece of the idol". Seems like one idol in 2 pieces to me. Plus if what Mark mentioned is true then that is even more in the favor of one idol in 2 pieces.

12. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    abospaum, your opinion is noted. However, if you go back and listen to what Jeff said, (and I did three times to be absolutely sure), he very clearly referred to it as THE idol, NOT idols.

13. rjenkins

rjenkins Legend

Jul 18, 2002
    To be fair, I think the first and second answers should both be correct, since it's a little ambiguous. Before I voted, I knew there would be 1 idol but that it split in half, and I still *almost* voted for answer #2. (Although I finally went with #1.)

14. buzzdalf

buzzdalf Godfather

Jan 27, 2003
    Everybody sure is being picky on these polls here.

Mark runs this game for us, he makes the call. Sometimes it goes your way, sometimes not. Relax, this is supposed to be fun (and it's only week 1).
    There are plenty more points coming.

15. abospaum

abospaum AllStar

Jul 11, 2002
    Sorry to be picky but I feel I got screwed by some of the answers to these questions. The poll question said one idol for the winner and that the second tribe would be safe. There was no mention of two pieces. The better answer would be that two pieces are two idols since the top two teams receive something.

16. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    How did you know there would be only one idol? Hmmmm....

17. buzzdalf

buzzdalf Godfather

Jan 27, 2003
    yes, hmmmm indeed.

18. rjenkins

rjenkins Legend

Jul 18, 2002
    Ummm, spoiler sites? :)

Specifically, this is where I first saw it:

http://www.londyscreations.com/survivornetwork/spoilers_ep1.asp

The spoiler could have been wrong, but I was using that info when voting, and I wasn't 100% sure whether to choose #1 or #2.

I wasn't too worried about it, because Mark is usually very fair when things are ambiguous, and I think he does a great job running the contest. Maybe he'll change his mind in this case. If not, big deal, it's only one poll. :)

19. dbkelly

dbkelly AllStar

Sep 20, 2002
    I have to pipe in here and defend Mark on this. Were his questions ambiguous and could be interpreted differently this week? Sure! BUT, if you will note in this thread there are many posts asking Mark for additional clarification on what the correct answer would be counted as. In fact, if you look at Post#5 & Post#6, you will notice I explicitedly asked him "what if it's one physical idol, that breaks in half (one half for the IC winner and the other for the runner-up). Does this count as two idols?"

His answer? "If the immunity idol breaks into 2 parts, it is still one immunity idol that happens to be in 2 parts. NOT 2 immunity idols."

How can Mark be any clearer?

abospaum, if you feel the weekly question can be answered more that one way, bring it up with Mark BEFORE THE POLLS CLOSE!!! I think you will find Mark to be very cordial in answering any and all questions you might have.

Cheers!

20. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    The better answer would be that two pieces are two idols since the top two teams receive something.

I finally got around to watching the episode last night, and the immunity idol was always refered to as a singular noun. In fact, the teams were told they wanted to win a "piece of the idol."

To put it another way, if you buy a bicycle, but take the wheel off when you lock it away, do you now have two bicycles? Obviously not.

It seems obvious that the immunity idol is designed so that in the future it will be won as a whole when two of the teams either join or one team is eliminated. Yes there are two immunities at this point, but only one immunity idol.