WEEK #1: How Will It Begin?

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Mark Lamutt, Jan 23, 2004.

WEEK #1: How Will It Begin?

1. Each Tribe is given a container (of some sort) full of supplies to start with.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Each Tribe is given money (or some other barter goods) with which to purchase supplies from a nearby

13 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. The Tribes start the game with no supplies, but have at least one personal item with them.

1 vote(s)
    0.9%
  4. Supplies are hidden somewhere on their islands, and the Survivors have to find them.

6 vote(s)
    5.1%
  5. The Tribes start the game with no supplies, and have no personal items with them either.

10 vote(s)
    8.5%
  6. None of the Above - something else happens that is not covered in the above options.

27 vote(s)
    23.1%
  7. More than one of the above - for example if supplies are found hidden on the island, and they purcha

60 vote(s)
    51.3%
  1. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Traditionally, in one way or another (with one exception), survivors have been given supplies to start the game with, plus they've had a personal item with them as well (also with one exception).

So, how do the tribes get their starting supplies this time? They are supposed to be the best of the best, right? Are they going to be handed everything they need to light their fires, and be comfortable from the beginning?

Polls close ~Midnight EST Saturday January 31st.

This Poll is worth 3 points.

2. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    What if more than one of the above happen? Pearl Islands had two of the above options. (supplies hidden, and money given)

3. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    The question only deals with what we see in Episode #1. In Pearl Islands, we didn't find out that the supplies were hidden until well into the game when Drake found them.

But, I'll add a more than one of the above answer just in case. If any of the 3 people that have already voted want to change to the new option, let me know.

4. jcrash

jcrash Legend

Jul 21, 2002
    Could you define supplies?

For example, does supplies mean food and/or water or would a length or rope qualify as supplies?

5. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Supplies means food, knives, nets, rope, hooks, fishing poles, pots, pans, anything except for water. There's always a water source for the tribes.

6. jcrash

jcrash Legend

Jul 21, 2002
    so far...

7. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    True...

A water source is not part of "supplies" for the purposes of this question.

8. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Just to exasperate Mark further: ;)

Suppose they are given extremely limited supplies - some food, but only clothes on their backs, etc and no personal items. Since its not a container "full" of them (more like half-empty), does that count as the first option, or a none of the above?

9. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    You guys are killing me here...questions will be better next week - head should be clearer then...damn flu.

If they are given any supplies (other than a water source) in any kind of container, regardless if the container is "full" or not, that is if there is a container with any supplies in it given to them, then that counts as the first option.

10. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    Danny, I had thought of asking that very question.

11. dbkelly

dbkelly AllStar

Sep 20, 2002
    continuing with DannyR's confusion...

Mark, Is your emphasis on container or supplies? Meaning... What if each tribe is given ... say a "tricycle" and no personal items? Does that count as a "container of supplies" ...meaning option 1 is the obvious choice? Or since it did not come in a "container" , the correct answer in this case would be NONE of the ABOVE?

12. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Emphasis is on supplies. If they're given a tricycle, I'd say they should just all walk away and be done with it... :)

Seriously, if they are given a bunch of supplies (2 cans of food, a coil of rope, a set of snowshoes, and a ski parka) all loose, then option one is still the correct answer. Container is in there because given supplies have always been in some kind of container in the past (wood crate, barrel, etc.)

13. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Now that the poll is closed, a machete is by definition supplies. Even if it's by itself, or in a sheath, or naked and rusted out.

14. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    But, will Jeff pull it out of the sheath? ;)

15. jrjcd

jrjcd Arcane Movie Trivia King DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 23, 2002
    i think that's something only richard will be interested in...

16. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Official ruling: The Survivors were given supplies (although not in a container) consisting of a machete (in a sheath) and a water pot or bucket. The water pot or bucket was not hidden, it was clearly visible on top of each water supply.

So, the first answer is correct.

17. abospaum

abospaum AllStar

Jul 11, 2002
    The water bucket obviously itself is not in the supply definition since you said nothing for water was being considered. So the supply definition was for the machette only.

According to the CBS site:
    http://www.cbs.com/primetime/survivor8/show/episode01/s8story.shtml

The survivors only started with their water canteens. They don't even mention the machette. They must not consider that part of the supplies.

18. abospaum

abospaum AllStar

Jul 11, 2002
    Let's review the possible choices:

Each Tribe is given a container (of some sort) full of supplies to start with. They did not receive a container full of supplies. Only a machette. No container, and nothing that was full of supplies.

Each Tribe is given money (or some other barter goods) with which to purchase supplies from a nearby setllement. No, money, no village, no bartering.

The Tribes start the game with no supplies, but have at least one personal item with them. No personal items unless you include water canteens as personal supplies.

Supplies are hidden somewhere on their islands, and the Survivors have to find them. If supplies were hidden then it was done so well that they still haven't been found and no one is looking for them.

The Tribes start the game with no supplies, and have no personal items with them either. Close, they do have a machette and canteens so is this no supplies and/or personal items?

None of the Above - something else happens that is not covered in the above options. Seems to be the best answer so far. They got somethings that are not covered by any of the above answers.

More than one of the above - for example if supplies are found hidden on the island, and they purchase items in a settlement. Not the case.

It seems best answer should have been none of the above. The questions need to be clear in the beginning. How many times should I check back for other explanations of the questions. I was one of the first voters and my answer of none of the above is the clearest answer based upon the original wording of the question. A machette is not a container full of supplies and anything related to getting or carrying of water you disqualified as supplies earlier.

19. jcrash

jcrash Legend

Jul 21, 2002

Actually, during the show Probst said something to the effect of "the only supplies you will be given" (or are given). Therefore, it was "supplies"

20. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    The questions need to be clear in the beginning.

I'm sure Mark will be the first to agree with you. Unfortunately he can't predict what might actually happen when he writes the questions, especially for the first episode, and thus the reason the rest of us start asking for clarifications of what exactly a "supply" would mean, etc and which part of the question was most important.

While you make a good argument for none of the above, I'd argue against that because I specifically asked if extremely limited supplies would count as none of the above versus the first option and voted based on the feedback I got.

How many times should I check back for other explanations of the questions.

I'd always try and check back the day the poll closes.