WEEK #1: Which Tribe Acquires Fire First? (CLOSED)

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Mark Lamutt, Sep 11, 2003.

WEEK #1: Which Tribe Acquires Fire First?

1. Drake

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Morgan

63 vote(s)
    60.6%
  3. It's not possible to determine from watching the episode

41 vote(s)
    39.4%
  1. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    I haven't seen this information anywhere. If you manage to find the answer out there in spoiler land somewhere, good for you. :)

Which Tribe acquires fire before the other tribe?

This poll is worth 2 points.

If the result isn't clear, in the opinion of the Contest Coordinator, then the 3rd voting option will be considered the correct answer.

2. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    Wow, fire will be tough this time since they have nothing at all, not even a magnifier. I hadn't even thought of that.

3. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Hence the poll... :D Promo shots have shown pictures of both tribes with fires burning, so they both will eventually get it. Question is which one gets it first, though. :)

4. saulres

saulres Legend

Sep 18, 2002
    Please clarify the "Impossible to tell by watching the episode" choice. Since in the past, the tribe who goes to Tribal Council comes back with fire, then if no one manages to make it on their own, and we select here the tribe who goes to tribal council, will we be awarded the points for this or will the points to to "impossible to tell"/

5. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    If neither tribe manages to make fire on their own, and the tribe that goes to tribal council is given fire at that time to take back with them, then they are the tribe that gets fire first. If, however, the tribe that goes to tribal council is not allowed to take the fire back with them, then the answer would be "impossible to tell". It may come down to what Jeff Probst says or doesn't say during TC. If he tells them that they can take it back then they are the answer. If he tells them they can't take it back with them, then "impossible to tell" is the answer. If Jeff says nothing about it at all, then "impossible to tell" would be the answer because even if we see them leaving TC with torches lit, we won't know for certain if they can the fire back with them, or if the producers will make them put the torches out once the dramatic shot if filmed with them walking away. And, it's possible that they can't take the fire back with them regardless if they have to swim back to their camp. Lots of variables to think about here. :)

Another example of "impossible to tell" would be if the editing of the episode makes it appear that both tribes succeed in getting a fire going at the same time.

The answer to this poll is going to be determined solely on what is shown or heard in the episode. It doesn't matter what shows up on the CBS site later in summary form, or any other site for that matter. Only what is shown or heard on television.

I suspect that one or both of the tribes will have fire before tribal council, but that's just a guess on my part.

6. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Bump

7. dbkelly

dbkelly AllStar

Sep 20, 2002
    Geez Mark. You got me on this one.

Bahhhh...

8. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    What's the verdict going to be on this one? While it wasn't obvious from editing exactly when each team arrived at their camp, it does look like Morgan left the town much earlier than Drake.

Since both teams seem to have started their fires first thing upon arriving, its a safe bet that Morgan was first.

9. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    I really couldn't determine which team was first, so it's going to be Mark's call.

10. sorahl

sorahl Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Oct 24, 2002
    Since this is not a democracy :) I vote that every answer wins :) hehe

11. dbkelly

dbkelly AllStar

Sep 20, 2002
    Personally, to me it looked like Drake actually had proof of fire first. I saw LIL attempting to make a fire in the sand, but I only saw sparks. Drake definitely had fire b/c the fish was cooked!!

12. Ron Barry

Ron Barry 622 Tips & Trick Keeper

Dec 10, 2002
    LIL made fire using the candle and the twigs. Fire does not need to be blazing. ;)

13. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    Oh.. I think the question as to who had fire first is relative to how it is watched. The first one to show fire being made would be the one that has fire first. There is no way to figure the timetable out. Based on the fact that LIL was shown to be starting fire with a candle. Candle has a flame... Then LIL has fire. To me this seems to be a no brainer, but hell I have been wrong before. LIL used a candle it was not sparks dbkelly.

14. timf

timf Legend/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Apr 21, 2002
    From the way the show was edited, Morgan had fire first. Although both teams made it a point to start a fire soon after arriving at camp, Morgan arrived first and therefore had fire first. The only point that makes this question far less significant than previous seasons is that this year making fire involved lighting a candle and not rubbing two stick togethers or creating sparks with flint stones. It was far less of an ordeal this time around.

15. phillipsfamily

phillipsfamily Mentor

Oct 3, 2002
    It's too bad that the question wasn't "Which tribe is shown with fire first?"
    That would be hard to dispute and would lend itself to spoiler-proofing I think.

16. Ron Barry

Dec 10, 2002
    Phillips,

Not sure why changing the question to that would spoiler-proof it. As far as determining who got fire first, you can only go on what is shown. Who is shown as having fire first because as far as the game goes that is the timeline as I see it. That is the only think Mark has to go on. Deducing who had fire first would be problematic at best.

17. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    Who is shown as having fire first because as far as the game goes that is the timeline as I see it. That is the only think Mark has to go on.

Going by just the video sequences, then Morgan was shown as having fire first.

Deducing who had fire first would be problematic at best.

Except we were specifically shown that Morgan left town much earlier than Drake, and ergo arrived at camp first. After running up and down the beach for a couple of minutes, the Boy Scout started up a fire while the others started thinking about shelter. From this video sequence, its pretty obvious they had fire first. The only problem is that its not specifically STATED that they had fire first.

Doesn't matter to me either way... I chose Drake so I don't get any points whichever way the ball bounces.

18. belsokar

belsokar AllStar

Jul 1, 2002
    if you ask me, based on all the argument here, then the result isn't "clear", which means option 3 is the correct answer.... :) (just read the first post by mark)

as for further interpretation of it not being clear...the question states "which tribe 'acquires' fire first",...technically, fire was acquired in the market where they purchased candles and lighters and matches...and there is no "clear" way to tell which tribe "acquired" fire first...again, my interpretation :)

19. dbkelly

dbkelly AllStar

Sep 20, 2002
    WeeJavaDude, thanks for the clarification on the spark/flame thing. I didn't know the difference. My point was obviously lost.

LIL had a flame first, but I do not believe that was "The FIRE." (... and yes, I realize a flame is fire!) But, there is a big difference between having a single piece of paper or twig burning and having a fire you can cook something on. I'm fairly certain the pit LIL used to start the fire was not the same as the final location of their camp fire. ... meaning they had to move it, and there is a very good chance it went out in the process. Whereas, the first shot of a camp fire was at Drake.

20. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    I've only watched bits and pieces of the 1st episode thus far, so I'll make the call on this one tomorrow when I sit down and watch it from start to finish.

But, based on the conversation in this thread, my gut is telling me that option 3 will be the way this one goes down.