Week #3 Results Now Online

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Mark Lamutt, Feb 15, 2004.

1. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Week 3 summary and results are now (finally!) online.

Congratulations to Jack White, pjboud and Hoju for winning the 10 random bonus points drawing this week.

I'm beginning to think that trifecta points are going to be a really big factor in the game this time around, as no one seems to be getting lucky enough yet to get them.

http://survivor.dbstalk.com

2. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    The random points are proving to be the bigger factor currently. The two folks in first place wouldn't be there without them.

3. TStorms

TStorms Mentor

Sep 16, 2003
    Mark,
    I've only been in your contest for two years now, and I must say I love the questions this season. There's more thought-provoking and less "spoiler-based" questions. On the flip-side, though, some of the completely random questions aren't much fun (i.e. Who writes down their vote first at TC?)

Anyway...back to my question...why is it called a "trifecta" when you have to get four questions correct? I've done better this season in getting 3 of 4 questions, but never 4 of 4. Did you at one time give points for getting only 3 of 4, or were there originally only 3 questions?

Thanks,
    TStorms

4. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    or were there originally only 3 questions?

In his first game each round usually only had 3 questions: Who got booted? Who won reward? Who won immunity?

5. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    I'm tied for 11th place so far. Is that doing well, or just so-so?

6. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    The first time one of the players used the term "trifecta" was after the final week of the Thailand contest, when there were 6 polls. It was obviously used as a definition of perfection, rather than meaning getting 3 answers correct. So, since then, scoring a perfect week has always been attaining the trifecta. The trifecta bonus was added last season during the Pearl Islands. Points were only given for pefect weeks.

I don't believe I've done the "Who votes first at TC" yet in this contest, although "How many powerboats" comes close. If anyone's got some good ideas for random type questions, by all means send them my way! I don't have a great brainstorm every week coming up with these things.

7. Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    Can we have a point if you use our question? :-D

8. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Anything for a point, huh? :)

Nope, no points given for good question ideas...

9. Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    Just for that, I offer this BAD question:

Whom does Jeff taunt for losing a challenge?

LIST OF NAMES. ;-)

10. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    (Somebody really should jump in here and warn Capmeister to be careful what he asks for... :D)

11. Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    Last year it would have been easy... Johnny A$$play every time. :-D

12. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    I'm tied for 11th place so far. Is that doing well, or just so-so?

Not too bad thus far... puts you in striking range where a good round can knock you to 1st place. But the simple fact is most of us will be saying this when the game is finished.

As for questions, I don't mind the really random ones such as who votes first so much... good strategy is to either bet with the crowd to hold position or against it if you want to try and pass.

The question that always bugs me and I dislike are the hidden polls where Mark asks things like "Which one of the following survivors will more folks pick this week? This poll is worth the same amount of points as the number of folks who vote for it." :eek2:

13. Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    But--my brother's name is Josh, not Charlie. ;)

Buh? This is my first time playing. Not seen those. Hidden WHERE?

14. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Those are still coming, Danny... evil grin...

Cap - the polls won't be hidden (although that's an interesting idea - hide some of the contest polls in other forums on the site...hmmmm...) but the point values they are worth are determined by how many votes the correct answer gets.

15. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Hidden WHERE?

By "hidden poll", I mean one where you can't see how folks have voted until the poll has finished. If you look at the polls now up, you'll see a "View Poll Results" link in the bottom right corner. This can be concealed by evil game show hosts if they really want to mess with our minds. :grin:

This is especially evil in the final round, where 2nd and 3rd place folks have to vote contrary to the 1st place person in order to have a chance to win.

16. Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    I cannot decide if I want to bribe Mark or send him a "pet" scorpion. :grin:

17. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Read my post edit... :D

I'm kind of liking the idea to hide a bonus poll somewhere else on the site and making you guys look for it...

18. Capmeister

Sep 16, 2003
    I demand you stop being evil this instant! :nono:

19. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    Mark, will you at least say there is a hidden poll or do I need to start reading through every forum to find it?

20. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    If I were to do something incredibly evil like this to you guys, I would at least give you some warning that it's happening.