WEEK #6: How Many "Fish" THIS WEEK?

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Mark Lamutt, Feb 28, 2004.

WEEK #6: How Many "Fish" THIS WEEK?

1. [size=2]Zero[/size]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. [size=2]1-2[/size]

4 vote(s)
    3.4%
  3. [size=2]3-4[/size]

19 vote(s)
    16.4%
  4. [size=2]5-6[/size]

58 vote(s)
    50.0%
  5. [size=2]7-8[/size]

20 vote(s)
    17.2%
  6. [size=2]More than 8[/size]

5 vote(s)
    4.3%
  7. [size=2]Impossible to determine from the episode[/size]

10 vote(s)
    8.6%
  1. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Continuing along with the "fish" theme, with "fish" being in quotation marks because it also includes other sea life as well, how many total "fish" from both tribes do we see caught and/or brought into camp this week? "Fish" already in camp do not count for the total. Any "fish" shown in previous episode recaps, in the credits, or in the previews for next week's episode do not count.

Notice, that it is very clear that this poll is for this week, and this week only.

This poll is worth a minimum of 5 points, but if you get it wrong, you will lose 3 points (yes, brutal and evil I am well aware). If more than 5 "fish" are seen caught or brought into camp, the point value for this poll will be worth the number seen caught or brought into camp. If the number can't be determined (in the opinion of the contest coordinator, ie ME) then this poll will be worth 5 points.

This poll closes Wednesday March 3rd at Midnight EST.

2. Mar 2, 2004 #2 of 28
    abospaum

abospaum AllStar

Jul 11, 2002
    Can we stop these completely random polls where a wrong answer loses points?

Does anyone else feel this way?

3. Mar 2, 2004 #3 of 28
    Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Not unless you can give me a very good reason why they should stop. I think these questions are great equalizers.

4. Mar 2, 2004 #4 of 28
    rjenkins

rjenkins Legend

Jul 18, 2002
    I also dislike the negative points polls. Especially this one, since there are so many choices. The first one wasn't that bad because you could take a bit of a logical stab at it. This one feels more like rolling the dice.

I think the random 10 points awarded each week are more than enough of an equalizer.

If we keep the negative points polls, I'd prefer them to be optional polls. So you could choose to not vote, and it wouldn't count against your 'voting in every poll' points. But if you do choose to vote, you have the potential of getting "bonus" points if right, or "penalty" points for getting it wrong. Maybe even make the points for being right / wrong even bigger. +/- 10 points or something?

Just my 2 cents. :)

5. Mar 2, 2004 #5 of 28
    Redster

Redster Godfather/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Jan 14, 2004
    So what are the points good for ?

6. Mar 2, 2004 #6 of 28
    Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    I don't understand your question Redster. The points are how the contest is scored...

7. Mar 2, 2004 #7 of 28
    Wildfire_36

Wildfire_36 AllStar

Sep 16, 2002
    by equalizer, I believe Mark is talking about spoiler sites. There are SEVERAL of us that do not watch the previews, or commercials, or read the spoiler sites. And because we don't, we have LITTLE chance of winning against those that do. And while we want to win, we do not want to spoil the show for ourselves.

While I agree that this question has too many answers and therefore might be a bit harsh for the negative aspect, I do like the idea of a "non-spoilable" question having negative points. Rounds things out a bit.

As for the "random points" equalizing.....I have played these contests since they started. I have yet to receive the random points. Those will not equalize anything.

8. Mar 2, 2004 #8 of 28
    BearcatScott

BearcatScott New Member

Jan 29, 2004
    I could not vote in this poll. It didn't seem to think that I was logged in. I was able to vote in the other polls, however. Anyone else experience this problem?

Update: After I posted this message I was able to register my vote.

9. Mar 2, 2004 #9 of 28
    Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Ok, good. If that happens in the future, at the very least email me your vote and I'll get it counted (if it's before the polls close).

10. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Poll closes tonight at Midnight EST!

11. Redster

Jan 14, 2004
    being new to forum and all ... contest for ? A star by my name ? :)

12. buzzdalf

buzzdalf Godfather

Jan 27, 2003
    Just a quick shout to say I LOVE polls like this!!
    Keep 'em coming.

13. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Redster - the contest prize is a Dish 921 receiver or an HDTivo receiver. See the official rules posted in this forum.

14. Redster

Jan 14, 2004
    An answer and a star :dance07:

15. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    I hate polls like this--but I wouldn't have them gone because they do make it more fair. A hard contest is fine.

16. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    I'm assuming crabs, mussels, oysters, eels all count as "sea life" right?

17. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Yes, that's why "Fish" is in quotes, and why the "Impossible to tell" option is there.

18. Wildfire_36

Wildfire_36 AllStar

Sep 16, 2002
    now I am really confused.... so eels, crabs and stuff of that sort do NOT count???

19. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Yes, eels, crabs and other sea life (animal life, not plant life) counts.

20. cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    I realize that it's a little late to ask...but sea snails would count as sea life wouldn't they...

Also, aren't the last two possibly both correct at the same time. Say there are 10 fish and a basket of snails, oysters, etc. There is obviously more then 8, but it's unknown how many more.