WEEK #7: Big Tom & His Booze

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Mark Lamutt, Mar 6, 2004.

WEEK #7: Big Tom & His Booze

1. [size=2]Zero[/size]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. [size=2]One[/size]

44 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. [size=2]Two[/size]

14 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. [size=2]Three[/size]

25 vote(s)
    23.8%
  5. [size=2]Four[/size]

13 vote(s)
    12.4%
  6. [size=2]Five[/size]

7 vote(s)
    6.7%
  7. [size=2]More than 5[/size]

2 vote(s)
    1.9%
  1. Mar 6, 2004 #1 of 19
    Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    It's been rumored (factually or exaggerated? - You have to decide!) that Tom Buchanan likes his whisky just a little bit.

The question is this: How many drinks of an alcoholic beverage do we SEE Tom take this week?

Taking a drink is defined as lifting a container to the lips, swallowing some of the contents, and then moving the container away from the lips. That sequence counts as 1 drink. If Tom then were to go through the sequence again, that would count as another drink.

This poll is worth 5 points, and closes Wednesday March 10th at Midnight EST.

2. Mar 8, 2004 #2 of 19
    Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    On a side note... every time Tom takes a drink, you must take a drink as well. If you score or not remains to be seen. ;)

Mark: You might want to add a category for "impossible to tell", in case Tom drinks from something we don't know is an alcoholic beverage or not.

3. Mar 9, 2004 #3 of 19
    cdru

cdru Hall Of Fame

Dec 4, 2003
    Do you REALLY think that is a possibility? I don't think so either. :)

4. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Well, here's hoping Tom's tribe wins reward. I picked more than 5 based on the following preview:

Despite suffering the elements on the island, one tribe proves they know how to have a good time.

5. buzzdalf

buzzdalf Godfather

Jan 27, 2003
    My thought was that Tom would have to get a lot of screen time to be seen taking that many drinks. I have no doubt he will drink that much, I just wonder how much of it we will see.

6. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    Well, this is definitely a tough question. I too am hoping for Tom's tribe to win, they are the most partying tribe so it would make since given the episode description. I n the past they have edited it to show Tom drinking a lot so I took a chance.

7. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    How am I supposed to pass you Lee if you keep guessing the same way I do. ;)

Oooh, this was my 666th post. :mad2:

8. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Alas, I'm guessing the answer will be two...

Lots of alcohol adjacent to Tom... empty beer bottle for instance. Lots of shots of him reaching to or from his glass. But the only two actual drinks I saw were both with the champagne at the end.

Tom also drank what looked like a soda when they first got on the boat... although it could have been something else.

--

Darn it, I think I missed every single question this week. -- oops, perhaps not. ;)

9. goodles

goodles New Member

Jan 29, 2004
    :nono2:

The question says taking a drink is defined as... "lifting a container to the lips,..."

In both shots he already has the glass to his lips. We never saw the complete sequence listed in the question!

10. Marvin

Marvin Godfather

Sep 13, 2003
    Thats really only true for the sillouhette 2nd drink. And I think with the first one, the glass was so tall he didnt need to lift it.

It probably should be 2, which isn't what I said. I said zero, which was looking good until they brought on the Champagne.

11. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    I think probably 2 as well--and I also said zero.

I was sitting there saying, "No! Take away the bottle! STOP!" :D

12. abospaum

abospaum AllStar

Jul 11, 2002
    I think that we are also assuming that the first beverage that he was seen drinking was a Coke and not a Rum and Coke since they didn't seem to have booze until getting back from dessert.

I was someone who answered more than five. We saw him with more than 5 different drinks but they almost always cut away just before he looked like he was going to actually take a drink. I also only saw it twice when he actually took a sip.

13. Lee L

Lee L Hall Of Fame

Aug 15, 2002
    I was afraid of this. They were all good and drunk but not much drinking shown. Better luck next time. I wonder if the extra attention on the "evil TV corrupting our kids" changed their editing any?

14. poeppe

poeppe Legend

Mar 25, 2002
    I thought that Tom showed amazing self control, he was at one point shown with a beer in each hand but he amazingly never took a drink :sure:

Later he broke down and had 2 drinks of champaign.

Does that count as alchohol? :D

15. dbkelly

dbkelly AllStar

Sep 20, 2002
    I think the champagne toasts should NOT count as drinking, but that's b/c I answered ZERO on the question. There's a conspiracy here I know it!!!! When Jeff said "open bar", I knew I got the question wrong. But, then they kept bring out cokes. I'm fairly certain they were really just cokes due to the way they were passing them around. ... and then the stupid champagne bottles comes out! Dang it!

David

PS - Yes, I know I'm gabbing!

16. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz New Texan

Mar 23, 2002
    Richardson,...
    Seeing Chapera on that board.... gives new meaning to "Don't Drink and Drive".

I imagine that Mark had expected that Tom was just drinking at camp, and not actually ending up on a party boat. I had answered "Zero" because I figured the bottle was empty.

17. Wildfire_36

Wildfire_36 AllStar

Sep 16, 2002
    Yeah me too, I knew they were out of whiskey and I was thinking they would loose the reward challenge.

Well we will have to wait for Mark's decision.

Why wouldn't the champagne count as alcohol though!?!? It contains alcohol.

18. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    I'm back...a little later than I had hoped, but here anyway.

First, the "cokes" at the beginning of the boat trip are irrelevant to the question because if you watch frame by frame, Tom does in fact lift the glass, but the glass does not make it to his mouth before the shot cuts away.

As for the champagne at the end of the boat trip, yes I did define taking a drink as lifting glass to lips, swallowing, and then lowering glass. And, both times Tom was taking the drinks, the shot started with him already drinking. The purpose of the definition was to defer the arguments like each swallow should be counted as a drink. But, I've introduced another one instead.

So, argue if you must, but the official answer is TWO.

19. Capmeister

Capmeister Large Hairless ApeCutting Edge: ECHELON '08

Sep 16, 2003
    I said ZERO, but think this is fair. It killed me to watch it, but it's fair. ;)