WEEK #7: How Many Players Will Score Trifecta Points This Week? POLL DELETED

Discussion in 'DBSTalk.com Contests Forum (Closed Forum)' started by Mark Lamutt, Oct 24, 2003.

WEEK #7: How Many Players Will Score Trifecta Points This Week? POLL DELETED

1. 1

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 4

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. More than 6

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. ZERO

100.0%
  1. Mark Lamutt

Mark Lamutt Your Neighborhood Liasion

Mar 23, 2002
    Different kind of non-spoiler poll here starting the 2nd half of the season. This one has to do with our little game here, rather than what will be shown in this week's episode.

How may players in this contest will score a perfect week, thereby earning the trifecta bonus points? As you know from the rules, trifecta bonus points are awarded to all players that correctly answer all polls for a given week. So, how many players will answer all 4 polls correctly (including this one)?

This poll is worth 8 points.

2. Danny R

Danny R Goblin the Pug DBSTalk Gold Club

Jul 5, 2002
    You need to add ZERO. And this poll also poses a problem. If for instance you have several people who get all three other polls right, but each have a different answer for this poll... how do you choose who is right? One player might answer with a 1. However two of those players might answer with a 2 in this poll, etc. In either case either answer might be correct. And of course the person who answers ZERO might get the poll right, but could never win the Trifecta because that would make them immediately wrong. ;)

3. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Thanks for the catch Danny. I'm sure I put in a ZERO option last night, but apparently not...

And you are correct - anyone answering ZERO in this poll cannot get the trifecta bonus because they cannot get all of the polls correct.

I did say in the other thread that the polls were going to get harder now that the bonus is worth more... :)

4. jcrash

jcrash Legend

Jul 21, 2002
    please dont repeat this question next week, it is whacked (I get a headache just thinking about it)

5. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    I can't really tell if you meant it this way, jcrash, but I'm taking your comment as a compliment.

You can't expect me to just give you 25 points, now can you? :)

6. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    You still haven't solved the basic problem of the question though.

Suppose four people get the other 3 polls right and on this question they answer:

0, 1, 2 & 2.

Its an arbitrary decision on who is correct. You need to stipulate in the polls that if something like that happens then perhaps the winning number will be randomly decided from among all the possible solutions.

7. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    Ugh...you're right. Ok, this poll is going away and getting replaced now. Thanks for pushing the issue through my sometimes thick head.

8. TStorms

TStorms Mentor

Sep 16, 2003
    First, Mark, I think this is a great question. Certainly no Spoilers will help answering this one!

But I also agree with Danny...

Person b who answered 1 trifecta could be correct or
    Persons c and d who both answered 2 trifectas could be correct.

Does the question need to be reworked to read - How many players get the other 3 poll questions correct?

Or does the higher guess (in this example, 2) take priority?

Thanks in advance for the help!

------------
    edited to add... Mark's post appeared while I was writing mine. Thanks for clearing this up. I hope the replacement question is as unique as this one was.

9. Mark Lamutt

Mar 23, 2002
    I was writing the new poll question as you were posting yours in this thread. We obviously were thinking along the same lines. :)

10. Danny R

Jul 5, 2002
    Person b who answered 1 trifecta could be correct or
    Persons c and d who both answered 2 trifectas could be correct.

And person A who answered zero would also be correct, but if correct would then be wrong, but if wrong would then be correct again in an infinite loop, etc... ;)

11. jcrash

jcrash Legend

Jul 21, 2002
    My headache is gone!