Weird Audio Issues Since Home Theater

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by bjamin82, Jan 23, 2010.

  1. bjamin82

    bjamin82 Godfather

    382
    3
    Sep 4, 2007
    Colorado...
    Hi All, Before posting, i did some searching first about audio weirdness and dropouts. The main thread of audio dropouts seemed general, so I figured I would post my question anyways.

    I have a HR22-100 connected via HDMI to my Samsung LCD Series 6 and always has worked perfectly.

    For Christmas, I got a Samsung HT-BD1250 BluRay Home Theater. I have connected it directly via optical cable to the HR22, turned on Dolby Digital and completely shutoff the audio from the TV.

    Ever since then, I would say 70% of the time I am satisfied with the audio... the other 30% I dealing with Audio Drops randomly on any HD channel and when playing back HD DVR material, after FF through commercials, it takes 5 to 10 seconds for the audio to return. I also notice it taking a while for the audio to return if when watching live tv on an HD channel, an SD commercial is shown, and when switched back to HD the audio lags.

    So is this normal?

    Thanks in advance to everyone!
     
  2. ThomasM

    ThomasM RF Engineer

    4,324
    10
    Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    Not sure about your audio problem being "normal" but I've discovered a bizzare audio problem involving HDMI, my new Toshiba HDTV, and my R22.

    If I use the DirecTV remote to turn on both the TV and the DVR, the DVR comes up first and then the TV turns itself on. Using this scenario, everything works great.

    BUT if I turn on the TV but NOT the R22 to watch some over-the-air live TV and THEN turn the R22 on, sooner or later after switching to the R22 the audio begins sounding like a distorted buzzing sound. Switching the TV to it's built-in tuner and then back to the R22's HDMI input fixes the problem...for awhile and then it comes back.

    Very annoying problem but fortunately with a workaround (turn the stuff on in the proper order) ;)
     
  3. GregLee

    GregLee Hall Of Fame

    1,703
    19
    Dec 28, 2005
    A problem switching modes from Dolby Digital sound to non-DD and back again might be a problem with your receiver. I had a Kenwood receiver which I replaced 3 years ago which simply would never switch back to DD mode after a non-DD commercial or switch to a non-DD channel, without a manual change of modes. Very irritating. I replaced the Kenwood with a Pioneer AVR, and now there's no problem.
     
  4. bjamin82

    bjamin82 Godfather

    382
    3
    Sep 4, 2007
    Colorado...
    I hope its not the receiver, its brand new, it does switch back, there is just a 5 to 10 second delay.
     
  5. bjamin82

    bjamin82 Godfather

    382
    3
    Sep 4, 2007
    Colorado...
    BUMP....
     
  6. mrcon0728

    mrcon0728 Member

    53
    0
    Oct 19, 2007
    Jersey Shore
    Have had the same issues for over a year now with my Onkyo receiver. It is not a stereo receiver problem it is a D* problem. When I turn off the DolbyDigital on the D* receiver I no longer have the audio dropouts. The audio cycles in and out while in DD going back and forth in stereo mode and DD. This is annoying as hell, this is my only real pet peeve with D* but could force me to leave. I have been with D* since the beginning(USSB days).
     
  7. CCarncross

    CCarncross Hall Of Fame

    7,058
    60
    Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    If it was a D* problem shouldnt everyone be having it? I have never had it on any of my Yamaha or Denon A/V receivers...
     
  8. GregLee

    GregLee Hall Of Fame

    1,703
    19
    Dec 28, 2005
    And you know this how?
     
  9. bjamin82

    bjamin82 Godfather

    382
    3
    Sep 4, 2007
    Colorado...
    I don't think its D* as a whole, but maybe an issue with my current STB? I known its not D* on a whole, my father in law doesn't have the issue. So either its the STB, a setting somewhere, or my Home Theater unit just takes a few seconds for the audio to process??
     
  10. bjamin82

    bjamin82 Godfather

    382
    3
    Sep 4, 2007
    Colorado...
    I got the 0x395 download last night... the audio delay is still there, but the audio return quicker, than before.
     

Share This Page

spam firewall

Advertisements