1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Weird call from DirecTV

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Alexandrepsf, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Feb 2, 2013 #1 of 19
    Alexandrepsf

Alexandrepsf Icon

Oct 26, 2005
    Today I had a weird call from DirecTV.

A DirecTV agent called me telling me that they have a promotion for equipment upgrade. I was happy thinking that they want to offer me HR34. The person on the phone asked me how many TVs I had at home, I said 3 HDTVs. He asked, and you have 3 DVR boxes? I said yes, and then he replied, thank you for being with DirecTV and hung up.

I guess I did not give the right answer.

Anyone else had same sort of call?

Cheers,
    Alex

2. Feb 2, 2013 #2 of 19
    Krazeyman

Krazeyman Cool Member

Oct 28, 2011
    Nope, but if it were me. I would call dtv to see if you do have any promotions available for the hr34.

3. Feb 2, 2013 #3 of 19
    TDK1044

TDK1044 Godfather

Apr 8, 2010
    Sounds more like someone setting you up for a home robbery. DirecTV would know how many DVRs you have.

4. Feb 2, 2013 #4 of 19
    joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    Yep, that wasn't Directv.

5. Feb 2, 2013 #5 of 19
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Sounds like a scam or setup for a robbery. DTV knows how many DVRs / receivers you have in operation.
    It is a shame that it has gotten to this. I don't answer about half the time my phone rings unless my caller ID identifies the caller with something that looks reasonable.

6. Feb 2, 2013 #6 of 19
    domingos35

domingos35 Icon

Jan 11, 2006
    why would someone go thru all the troubles just to steal an DVR?
    If they do steal it it the OP will call directv ,report it stolen,directv will deactivate it and render it useless ,yes?

7. Feb 2, 2013 #7 of 19
    Rent_Share

Rent_Share AllStar

Aug 31, 2011
    Doh -
    • What is attached to a directv DVR ?
    • do People with 3 HD TV's have IPODS, IPADS Computers?

8. Feb 2, 2013 #8 of 19
    broeddog

broeddog AllStar

Sep 11, 2009
    They want the HDTV's attached to the DVR's would be my guess.

9. Feb 2, 2013 #9 of 19
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Umm, sounds to me like they knew how many DVR's he had, just not how many TV's.

10. Alexandrepsf

Alexandrepsf Icon

Oct 26, 2005
    It was DIrecTV. #(516)453-6809

To answer to the last poster, I used to have 3 DVRs with 2 TVs. About 3 month ago I called and asked if there is any promo HR34 for existing customers, there was none, but I was told that I will be contacted if anything comes up.

Now I am not sure if I should call to see if the promo was real or wait for HR44.

11. Alexandrepsf

Alexandrepsf Icon

Oct 26, 2005
    I do not think that they would tell me that they have an upgrade promotion for me just to get me to say how many TVs I have.

12. Hoosier205

Hoosier205 Active Member

Sep 3, 2007
    DirecTV farms out some promotional sales. These people have limited access to account information,.

13. Brubear

Brubear Legend

Nov 13, 2008
    the only thing I could see with this is if they were promoting a whole home upgrade. Otherwise the number of DVRs wouldn't matter. Actually don't anyway since I have 3 HR24s networked with an HR34. Such a targeted offer doesn't make sense anyway. I'd call and ask. A lot of the time when a promo call is made they note the account if the account holder accepted or not.

14. tomski35

tomski35 AllStar

Sep 7, 2007
    I have four HD DVRs and was offered a free "upgrade". When I asked for a 34, they quoted me roughly $250. Didn't sound free to me. All they would do is replace on of my existing HRs and couldn't guarantee which model. Doesn't sound like an upgrade to me.

15. Brubear

Brubear Legend

Nov 13, 2008
    that is a Nassau, NY landline number. It may be a hired promotional company but I'm pretty sure it's not DTV proper.

16. Alexandrepsf

Alexandrepsf Icon

Oct 26, 2005
    So, I called tonight and asked an agent if they could tell me if I had an offer on my account. He saw an offer to upgrade to HR34 on my account. I told him that the person who called me did not even say what it was but he did not tell me report of the first agent.

Long story short, I am getting an upgrade to HR34. :O)

In my original post I failed to mention one other question that I was asked which now I think was the deal breaker. The first agent asked me if I want to upgrade equipment or add a new receiver and my answer was that if I get a good equipment upgrade offer it would be to replace one of my existing receivers. The agent tonight asked me the same question and I answered same way. But by his long pause I got the feeling that the answer could affect their decision of offering you the promotion.

17. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    Yes but not for existing customers. The outbound call centers like convergys have account info access and they can see how many recievers you have and what type they are. Whenever you call or DTV calls it generates a communications event. Call and ask if directv called me. I am going to say no as at Directv, we do not do that. If you get a weird call do not answer the questions and hang up.

18. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    Even when I originate a call to DirecTV to the regular number, I'm not always sure who I'm taking to knows anything about the # of boxes, model #s, or programming package I have.

How times do you have to repeat information to them? And despite notating the account, when you're transferred, you start over from square one with what ever you've called about. I don't know how much information is displayed on their computer screens at one time, but I would say not too much. I don't know if they have to scroll or punch up new pages all the time, but it takes a while for them to confirm things that I might think would be on their screen all the time. I never blame the CSRs, it seems the software on their computers is very limited in what it can do at one time and how fast it can do it.

I have jokingly advised the CSRs to look for a little hatch on the lower right corner of their computers, open it, and hold down the red reset button for 10 seconds many, many times. If they are really having major trouble, I advise them to unplug their work station from the electrical outlet, wait 10 seconds, and then plug it in again.

:lol:

We all have to seek the humor in these challenges, otherwise it would be too much to deal with.

19. wahooq

wahooq New Member

Oct 19, 2011
    Tulsa, OK
    The systems are fine....have you ever heard of the game "Whisper"...the first person whispers only once to the person next to them and they in turn whisper what they think they heard to the person next to them? The same thing happens in this situations ...and thats not counting the people that try to duck service calls or replacements because it counts against them, and in turn falsify notes.