Welcome: SWM/SL3S participants

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - Special Request Legacy Items (private)' started by Doug Brott, Oct 9, 2008.

1. Oct 9, 2008 #1 of 97
    Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Welcome folks .. Hopefully it will be a case of things working great, but as hardware is starting to show up on your doorstep, I'd like to keep the conversation constrained to this private forum for the moment.

2. Oct 9, 2008 #2 of 97
    dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    Hello Doug!

My SWM-8 and PI showed up today. Awesome.

I forgot that I'm also going to need a splitter, so I'm gonna have to pick one of those up from SolidSignal or somesuch.

I'm too tired tonight to set it up (had 3 client meetings today in NYC... I'm beat!) so this will have to wait for another day. :)

3. Oct 9, 2008 #3 of 97
    HDTVsportsfan

HDTVsportsfan Active Member

Nov 29, 2005
    I better go check my front porch.

2 minutes later: Nope. Hopefully tomorrow and I can install it over the weekend. :)

I really wanted the SL3S but I need more than 8 tuners. So the SWM8 is what I'm looking for.

4. Oct 9, 2008 #4 of 97
    drx792

drx792 Icon

Feb 27, 2007
    Got my SWM8 today!!!

Will be installing Saturday or Sunday. Pending on the times i get home and when i pick up the extra splitters to install it in parallel.

5. Oct 9, 2008 #5 of 97
    Revenoor

Revenoor AllStar

Dec 14, 2006
    Got a call from FEDEX tonight, they had the wrong zip (30151 vs the correct 30157). Receive tomorrow and have to work the weekend. Perfect timing though as I was going to have to run another coax to the bedroom very soon. Any hints/setup threads around?

Setup: Slimline + international, OTA, Zinwell; HR-20-700, DVR-80, H20-600

6. Oct 9, 2008 #6 of 97
    bgottschalk

bgottschalk Icon

Aug 30, 2007

Doug,

I'm assuming the SL3S doesn't come with a splitter either?

I have 2 HR2x's (total of 4 tuners) - which splitter do I need?

Edit - this? http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?prod=SWS-2

7. Oct 9, 2008 #7 of 97
    terrelliott

terrelliott Godfather

May 7, 2007
    Cockrum, MS
    Does anyone have a comprehensive diagram of the swm8? I see that it has an ota input. I just want to see what each connection is for.

8. Oct 9, 2008 #8 of 97
    Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Hey everyone! Glad to be apart of the group!

I opted for the SL3S personally so hopefully it will be here sometime next week. Once we have a nice day I will try and get some good pictures and such while I install it.

So are these just coming with the unit (LNB or SWM-8) and the PI? No splitters? If not I will pick some up to be prepared ;)

Here is a decent one:
    http://www.techtoolsupply.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=48

The SWM-8 has 3 Legacy Ports, 2 SWM Outputs, 1 OTA Input, 4 inputs from the dish, and 2 Flex ports (used to add in international and other dishes).

9. Oct 9, 2008 #9 of 97
    terrelliott

terrelliott Godfather

May 7, 2007
    Cockrum, MS
    I did get a diagram with the power inserter, but the diagram was for the swm5, and it doesn't show all the connections that are on the swm8. They must be there for a reason.......:)

10. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    The SWM-8 just has an additional legacy port (for non-SWM receivers, carries only 101/110/119 (so acts like a Phase III dish)) and the OTA input which is for diplexing in OTA (so you do not need an external diplexer on the headend).

11. MasterChef

MasterChef Godfather

Mar 31, 2008
    My SWM-8 arrived today. Can't wait to get it hooked up.

This message has a link to an installation guide. There are several key items to note including proper connection of the power injector no BBCs are needed.

12. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Glad to be part of the testing team.

Thank you for the opportunity.

SWM8 arrived late this afternoon.....hope to do the hookup tommorrow, or worst case Saturday.

Stamped on the unit:

Manufacture date is 10/3/08.

Firmware date is 8/22/08.

13. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Nothing here yet :(

14. noursegod

noursegod Legend

Dec 19, 2006
    I received my SWM8 this evening and quickly replaced my SWM5 with it. I now have 2 available tuners on all four of my DVR's. Woohoo!

Edit: Quick question for anybody who might know - Is it possible to split the incoming lines from the dish to a SWM5 and a SWM8? In other words, can the two run in parallel?

15. NR4P

NR4P Dad

Jan 15, 2007
    Sunny Florida
    Hi all

Haven't gotten anything yet and not sure what will show up. Think I confused Doug and Directv with changing my request.

Whatever shows up will be a surprise for me. And appreciated.

16. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Yup, you either need to use high frequency splitters like when you use two multiswitches side by side. Or you can use SWM-E2 expander which connects directly to two SWMs:

http://www.solidsignal.com/prod_display.asp?PROD=SWME2

(I think it should work with the SWM-5 as well, though not 100% sure. I know it works with dual SWM-8s)

17. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Hi folks! Glad to be part of the team. :) It's nice to see a mix of old friends and new faces in the group. We are out of town until Saturday evening, so it'll be a few days till I can install things but I'm looking forward to getting into the crawlspace and digging into it!

18. mikeinthekeys

mikeinthekeys Godfather

Feb 9, 2007
    Welcome to all... my SWM8 showed up this afternoon and I jumped right into installation. Only glitch was I didn't realize the splitter I would need had to go to 2000ghz, so had to go out to get one (radio shack). After that all went well. I have a main HR20 along with a H20 close to the SWM and a remote HR20 about 80 feet of cable away that has been running on only one Sat tuner. Now they all work and I'm very happy. I have experimented a bit and so far everything seems to be working. None of the problems others have described in these forums.

One thing I would like to emphasize: The order you hook this up is critical. Turn everything off (unplug AC), do all the hookup, and only then do you plug in the power inserter. Once I got that right, all the boxes came up. I checked the setup, but apparently, the box detected the SWM and configured themselves automatically.

19. Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon Chancellor

Jun 7, 2004
    Dawson, Georgia
    I just wanted to say "thank you" to DirecTV for the SWM-8.

I do appreciate it very much! :)

~Alan

20. Mertzen

Mertzen Hall Of Fame

Dec 8, 2006
    Which one exactly did you get? D* recommends 2-2150Mhz but those are very hard to find.