Welcome to Broadband

Discussion in 'The OT' started by HarryD, May 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HarryD

HarryD Icon

Mar 24, 2002
    Lehigh...
    Just entered the 21st century. Now running via a cable modem. All I can say is WOW! It's faster than I thought. Wireless router makes sufing from the crapper a charm.

Cable guy did try to talk me out of DBS. "Upgrade to digital cable- we're getting HD"

"No thanks buddy" :rolleyes:

2. Chris Blount

Chris Blount Creator of DBSTalk Staff Member Administrator DBSTalk Gold Club

Jun 22, 2001
    Very cool Harry! Welcome to the world of high speed internet. Once you have it, you will never go back. I was out of work for 5 months and we had to cut back on our bills. Guess what stayed? My cable modem and DBS systems. I told my wife we would have to be living in a box on the street before I gave those up. :)

3. waydwolf

waydwolf Icon

Feb 2, 2003
    Well, enjoy the cable modem.

And enjoy the DBS, of course, until, that is... you want HD locals in which case you can beg, plead, threaten, cajole, whine, petition the Almighty Himself, but you will not see it before Team USA brings home the gold in the 200,000,000,043,242,340,000 Winter Olympics in Hell(where Team Hussein pulls a Jamaican Bobsled Team and wins the women's downhill skiing event).

Did I forget that you can't have high-speed interactive video on demand, a sort of electronic Blockbuster over cable, on DBS?

Or telephony?

(People wonder why I slap DBS on this board and hang around here. It's just because part of my income is DBS-derived and I'm tired of watching DBS make the same fundamental mistakes over and over again, thus insuring my future loss of income from DBS installations as the inevitable drop in subscribers running back to cable occurs. There ARE some things DBS could do to get themselves more competetive for the long run, but nothing that they will likely do as it would fly in the face of their long-standing tradition of penny wise pound foolishness, such as continuing to base their comparisons of their newest modern systems with cable circa 1981; witness the thread elsewhere mentioning DirecTV's recent buy-in to statistical multiplexing when digital cable has been doing this for a while now.)

But do enjoy the cable modem. :)

4. Kevin

Kevin Icon/Supporter

Mar 26, 2002
    I know that feeling when you're finally free from 56K dial-up. Hvae fun!!

5. Richard King

Richard King Hall Of Fame

Mar 25, 2002
    As has that other satellite company, even before digital cable. :D

6. pez2002

pez2002 Hall Of Fame

Dec 13, 2002
    Congrats Ive had mines for 2 months now and i love it

7. gcutler

gcutler Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    If you notice that you surf in the bathroom till your legs fall asleep, you know you need to cut down :p

8. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    I may very well go back to cable when my local company gets HD. and VOD would be nice as well.

But right now it is unreliable, has an inferior picture to satellite, costs more for fewer channels and the service is awful. But if they get their act together I might switch. Heck if they had their act together in the first place I never would have left them.

Until then I will suffer along with satellite TV, cable internet and teephony over the phone line. I like the idea of bundling if the bundled products are good and the price is right. But Cox Cable---in my area---is very poor in certain areas. I know that others in other parts of the country have had a vastly different experience with Cox.

So while cable has a number of theoretical advantages over DBS I have to go with the reality in my area and that is that I get better picture quality and variety from DBS at a lower price. Perhaps when the other things are actually offfered I will have a different opinion.

9. lastmanstanding

lastmanstanding Godfather

Mar 22, 2003
    ~~~~ust entered the 21st century. Now running via a cable modem. All I can say is WOW! It's faster than I thought. Wireless router makes sufing from the crapper a charm.~~~~

No matter how tempting, do not take your laptop into the shower. Words to live by.

Enjoy broadband.

Here's a question. When you were new to broadband, did any of you ever seek out the biggest darn file you could find and down load it just for the hell of it? I have to plead guilty.

10. Bogy

Bogy Hall Of Fame

Mar 23, 2002
    Love my cable modem. And my digital cable with the wonderful picture. And the cable phone, local and long distance. And the one low(?)(it is lower, due to subscribing to everything they have) price for the whole package. Not to mention their wonderful service. The only thing that will make it better is when Cox finally rolls out dvr's here in Omaha. :D

11. sampatterson

sampatterson Icon/Supporter DBSTalk Gold Club

Aug 27, 2002
    Welcome to spppeeeeed! I am amazed as I get over 5mbs at home, and only 3mbs at work (on a 45mb T3 shared by about 15 of us). The DSL people keep calling and I just laugh at them because I would never see that bandwidth on DSL.

12. HarryD

HarryD Icon

Mar 24, 2002
    Lehigh...
    I downloaded some Windows updates (30 meg worth) and it took four minutes.. it used to take four hours...

:hi:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.