1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Welcome To DirecTV/ATT

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by DonkeyJab, Jun 13, 2018.

1. DonkeyJab

DonkeyJab Cool Member

Jun 29, 2009
    So, I just spent over 9 HOURS on the phone talking to every department...probably even the janitor, at ATT/DirecTV. I also spent over 3 hours using the chat feature. The problem? I signed up for service but when I did I chose the wrong county. I live on the border of two counties so when I sign up online there's a drop down box where I had to pick between two counties. I picked the wrong one by mistake so I was getting a different states local channels. You'd think this would be easy to fix right? No...it is most certainly not!

The first chat only lasted a few minutes--the CSR said all fixed just wait about 15 minutes--awesome! 15 minutes and 24 hours later I still had the wrong locals. I go back to the chat and this time it lasted over 3 hours--they tried everything and had me resetting the boxes multiple times, nothing worked. They gave me an escalation number and told me they would get in touch with me within 24 hours.

The next day I missed their call so I called the number back when I got home from work. This call lasted over 8 hours on it's own. 4 of those hours were spent repeating myself over and over and over to each new CSR/tech. I would explain the entire issue to them but they couldn't figure out how to fix it so they'd transfer me to another dept. I spoke with multiple CSRs, multiple tech support people, the Movers Dept, the local station dept, and finally a supervisor. One woman tried to tell me since I live on the border of two counties it's random which locals I get depending where the satellite is at the time of the install--OMG.

The horrible thing is, whenever they switch you off to another person they ask the same questions EVERY SINGLE TIME like you're a brand new caller. They want your phone number, your name, your PIN number, a security question--EVERY TIME! Then I have to explain the entire situation AGAIN! They all say they're taking notes but each new rep I get transferred to says 'how can I help you?' and starts from scratch.

After 9 hours I asked to be transferred to a supervisor. I tell him everything again and how nothing they tried would get their internal computer system to change to the correct county. They could change the address on my account but for whatever reason not the county. I told him at this point I'd just like to cancel and rejoin again. I simply wanted the option when I signed up to select the correct county since they couldn't seem to change it. He said sure and that he doesn't blame me--so he canceled my account and transferred me to the new service dept. I got transferred over--I explained the situation to the woman and she was just going to re-connect my account--I said NO! I have to make a whole new account. She put me on hold--half an hour later I was booted back to the main menu. After 9 hours I was utterly defeated and gave up.

The next day I call again to get new service. I explain, again, the situation and the guy says no problem we'll get you setup. We go through the sign up process of how many TVs, credit check, yada yada yada until finally he gets to the part where he had to pick a county--I was elated! He picked the correct county....then he asked if I had a different phone number as the one I gave him is sticking with the wrong county. I give him a new number but he had me go through the ENTIRE sign up process AGAIN! Credit check, how many TVs, etc. At the end he says it went through and I got a new account number and an install date--AWESOME!

So, I log onto DirecTV with my new credentials and tried to stream some TV and guess what--still the WRONG locals!!! At this point I was absolutely dreading calling them back--I couldn't believe such a little thing was turning into a nightmare. I called them back and said to cancel the install date--they said OK. I then had my son sign up online with his number, SS number, etc. He did that, picked the correct county, and voila! everything went smooth. Got an install date and the correct locals were showing up!

So I send all the brand new equipment back and wait for the installer. He shows up (same installer) and he's like what happened? I explained the deal, he told me how ATT stinks and installed the boxes. This time he put in refurbished units but I don't even care as long as they work. 3 day later the same installer shows up for the 3rd time and he's like what the heck is going on!? I say I have no idea. Turns out the rep never really cancelled the other install. The installer wanted to just put the new boxes in but I said absolutely not! So he left without installing anything.

A few days later I get 2 bills from ATT/DirecTV. One is over 4 hundred smackaroos for an early cancellation fee, the other is the normal bill for the new account. I call them up, explain the entire situation again--the CSR puts me on hold, comes back and says they have to transfer me to the loyalty dept as she can't help me. Okie dokie. So she transfers me, I have to explain everything again--he puts me on hold to talk to his supervisor. He comes back and said they shouldn't have issued an ETF, just simply merge the accounts or something like that. In the end he waived the ETF and all is right in the world.

Now a few days after the bills arrive I get a letter saying congrats! I'm entitled to a $100 VISA card. It's supposed to be $200. Do I have the stamina to call them yet again? I haven't decided yet.

Welcome to DirecTV/ATT!

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    You gotta love those pesky lines they draw on a map and all the mischief they create.

3. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Have you refreshed your service so that it updates the smart cards in the receivers ?
    What does “refreshing service” mean?

This is the customer loyalty department, have you talked to them ?
    Call the 800-824-9077 number and tell them about this.

4. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    I dont think selecting the county has any impact on how the locals are set up... it is all address driven

5. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    The original poster should go here and see what it shows even if he puts the right county in. If it shows different local channels, then keep after it. Let us know if there is a difference.

Local/Network Channel Availability | DIRECTV

6. studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    It can make a difference. My town is on the county line, but some of the addresses on the border are for the town north, which is a different county, even though they are really in my town.