Well great - Sioux City NBC off the air due to Directv dispute

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by fudpucker, Apr 21, 2015.

1. fudpucker

fudpucker Godfather

Jul 23, 2007
    NW Iowa
    Switched back to DirecTV less than a year ago, after being with Dish for the last 6 years, and dammit, less than a year and now I've lost my NBC local network. Yeah, I know, local network owners are evil and greedy, DirecTV is greedy, etc. I don't care and don't want to have to figure out who is right and wrong, I pay $100+ a month and just frikkin want to watch TV. SO tired of these, and wish Congress would pass some kind of law preventing this s**t.

And no, I cannot get KTIV over the air with an antenna for various reasons.

Damn all of these fights and screwing us the viewers.

2. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    It is a capitalistic marketplace and you are only a PAWN. Make the effort to add OTA so you have some control or just accept the position of PAWN.

3. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    DirecTV's statement said that Quincy Newspapers wanted a 3x increase. I don't think Congress or the FCC could prevent these, it's basically a free market thing.

4. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    They could stop protecting local channels with LIL rules. Let out of market affiliates bid against one another in DirecTV negotiations. If the FCC were to remove the monopoly that local affiliates have, local channel disputes will disappear pretty quickly.

1 person likes this.
  5. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    A very long time ago, maybe even before I started watching scrambled Disney, we had multiple networks from two different cities. It would be nice for when one affiliate preempts for weather or something else that you aren't interested in.

6. SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot Godfather

Jan 6, 2009
    Yes, they wanted $1.00 instead of 33 cents.....or $2 by 2018 instead of 66 cents.

So Greedy.....not.

A steal when one considers how much they watch ABC/CBS/FOX/NBC (average 35% of the time on MVPD).

7. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Since even a cent for a over the air channel is to much imho it is Very greedy I think.

8. SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot Godfather

Jan 6, 2009
    That's your opinion. I could say the same thing for water, but the Companies that sell water disagree (you do realize that water can be more expensive than Gasoline?)

And you have the option to put up an antenna and disconnect service - saving a whole lot more!

If you did not support the system where ESPN, Fox Sports and RSNs were paid incredible amounts for programming, then OTA programming would not be charging (and they are at a lower rate anyway) to keep up with rights fees.

9. SamC

SamC Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2003
    Totally incorrect.

The Supreme Court ruled correctly, in the Fortnightly case that retransmission is not violative of copyright. Of course. A business (not in the free market, but rather with a neo-monopoly granted by government to use airwaves that belong to the public generally) transmits its signal. Cable, DBS, whoever, simply helps you receive this public free signal better. No one is owed anything.

Congress changed the law to make you pay for free TV. It made the mess.

It can fix it. Repeal the law and return the Fortnightly case's rule. Any TV station that cannot make it on commercials alone is free to sell its government granted monopoly to me. I will pay $47.50.

10. joshjr

joshjr Hall Of Fame

Aug 2, 2008
    NE Oklahoma
    You could apply for a waiver to get the DNS feed. Go to the address listed below and login to see if you can submit your own waiver. Who knows you could get the east and west coast feeds. Let me know if you are able to submit the waiver or not as well as if it gets granted or denied.

http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageIFnorail.jsp?assetId=P4880022#h:573.11

11. PCampbell

PCampbell Icon

Nov 18, 2006
    It will come back they always do, with Directv outages tend to be short. And no, if it can be had OTA for free it is not worth a dollar.

12. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
  13. B_H

B_H Cool Member

Sep 23, 2003
    I remember when cable started and the TV stations were begging to pay them to carry their station. My, how times have changed.

1 person likes this.
  14. Bill Broderick

Bill Broderick Icon

Aug 25, 2006
    Long Island
    The same day that an OTA station begins charging retransmission fees to cable/satellite companies, the federal government should charge that station the fair market value for the radio spectrum that the station currently uses for free.

1 person likes this.