Well, that's it for Superstore

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by SledgeHammer, Mar 26, 2021.

1. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Series Finale was last night. Definitely wasn't the greatest show in the world and eps were a mixed bag, but that was the last sitcom I still watched. I guess it was timely in how they ended it with the pandemic. Was always surprised they continued after Amy left and kind of surprised the Big Bang Theory didn't try when Jim Parsons left. Especially since Lorre continued 2.5Men after the Sheen fiasco.

I still don't get how there are no sitcoms on TV anymore lol. How many different flavors of CSI and FBI do we need? I don't watch CSI. I watch the original FBI, never liked the first spin off, now they announced a 2nd spin off.

2. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Unfortunately cloning and franchising has been the order of the day for TV for the past few years.

3. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Yeah... and I don't have as high standards as some folks on the internet do lol, but some of the sitcoms the networks have delivered lately are just ridiculously bad. Call Me Kat, I lasted about 30 seconds. I loved King Of Queens, but Kevin James new sitcom on Netflix, also lasted only a few minutes. There was some sitcom about two dumb parents raising genius kids that last a few eps.

I look back at all the classic sitcoms from the 80's and 90s and just SMH now.

4. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Gold Club DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Big Bang is continuing with the prequil series (Young Sheldon). With Jim Parson's narrations there have been some mention of what happened after the finale.

They probably could have killed Superstore when Amy left ... I was glad to see it continue although filming changes due to the pandemic had an effect on the show. I worked retail 30+ years ago and enjoyed the references. Someone on the writing team must have a retail background.

I also enjoyed the visual jokes in the background of each episode ... last night they showed a customer changing one of those "one way" pandemic hours to point the direction she wanted to go. The second (and final) show had a kid using a potty in an aisle. While that did not happen in my store (that I know of) there was plenty of weird customer behavior that those jokes referred to. (Last week they had a customer trying on masks - and putting them back. My local stores have signs on the mask displays explicitly saying "do not try on". Yeah, customers would do that.) In the early days of the pandemic I could see wanting to hose down an employee who was sneezed on. Perhaps a narrow audience?

I did not know Superstore was ending (I do not follow fan sites) and will miss it. It was a decent final show with the flashbacks and look at the future. The writers got to put a bow on their package.

Call Me Kat ... wrapped for the year. Quirky. I watched it because I liked the lead actress. The occasional aside to the camera broke the 4th wall and every episode ended with everybody (including people not in the final scene) waving goodnight to the audience. The final episode turned the camera on the crew. Season two? I would watch. There are a lot of "throw away" sitcoms (Mr Mayor, etc.) that fill the time between work and sleep.

Yeah, there were classic sitcoms in the 80's and 90's. There was also a fair amount of crap. There were less outlets to air crap (the creation of the Fox, UP and CW networks provided some broadcast space for more crap - not specifically on those networks). It is easier to remember the best shows on TV and the worst shows on TV than the mediocre shows that were forgettable.

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    They probably should have killed it. America was a producer of the show.

6. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    I don't think it was a big deal honestly. Other characters got a little more screen time. Seemed like over the years they gave more to Dina and Glen and took stuff away from Amy. Might be why she left? Probably expected to be the front and center of the show and/or money.

She definitely wasn't central to the show like Sheen was to 2.5. Or when Topher and Ashton left That '70s show.

7. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    I teared up when they kissed I am a sap for stuff like that