1. Spanky_Partain

Spanky_Partain Active Member

Dec 7, 2006
    I am sure the first look document is finished. Is thing ever going to be announced?

2. gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet Tips & Resources Collaboration

Mar 7, 2007
    yup, been finished and handed over to the Mr. Shadow for awhile now. I'm sure when their ready it will be announced.

3. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    We're just waiting for the word .. Pretty much everything is ready to go .. so patience just a little longer, please :)

4. Draconis

Draconis New Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    You can add me to the ranks of the curious as to why DirecTV has not given the green light for the "First Look".

Other than the reported issues with Closed Captioning and the inability to turn off the Recording Tips my unit has been working like a champ and I feel that the hardware is quite solid.

Oh well... I'll continue waiting.

5. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Yeah, this has been kind of a low-key field test but I'm not complaining! The box has worked well for me with just about no substantial issues aside from a few captioning glitches (which in retrospect given that I usually watch movies while I'm exercising, may be due to the source material rather than the box itself).

Well, I've appreciated putting the box through its paces as a secondary receiver. I finally put it through a "stress test" yesterday and had it recording two movies while watching a third, trick-playing and displaying captions, etc. It handled it without a glitch. :)

6. dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    My theory (and it's just a theory ...) is that the R22 (even the -100) isn't in wide distribution. It appears to only be in areas where locals are on the "wing" satellites at the moment.

Having said that - once D11 goes live, there's likely to be a large Curly Shuffle of channels between satellites.

Once that happens, the R22 will probably play a bigger picture in the Grand Scheme of Things (tm), and thus, more units will be needed. So, the R22-200 comes into play.

But for right now, I bet they have more than enough -100 units to satisfy current demand ... So, we wait in the wings, in a cat-like state of readiness.

7. Draconis

Draconis New Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Las Vegas, NV
    I gave mine an interesting stress test, VOD recording while watching content shared from my PC remotely using a SlingBox that is patched through the R22-200 using the second RJ45 jack.

It worked without any problems, the inner geek was quite pleased.

8. dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    I'm getting closer to getting MediaShare up and going. Problem is, I don't have Ethernet jacks in my livingroom; hopefully this week I can get the wall fish done and wire myself up ...

9. mhayes70

mhayes70 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    or use a power line adapter. That is what I ended up using on my R22 and it works great!!

10. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    My whole house is wireless - if I ever build my dream house that'll change but for now, my 802.11n backbone works well enough to stream .mp2 video and music through the house.

11. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I hate to be a party-pooper, especially since this is my 1 year aniversary as a member of DBSTALK.COM (see join date at left), but I really am NOT impressed by the R22 product. I've had both the R22-100 and now the R22-200, and for SD DirecTV service, I MUCH prefer my R15's.

The R22 is a crippled HD DVR plain and simple. It really doesn't have as good a SD PQ as an R15. It doesn't have an RF output but it does have component and HDMI outputs that customers would never use on an SD TV set. If they had a TV set with these inputs, they'd get an HR21.

With all the new improvements to the software on the R15, the ONLY offerings the R22 has are 30 skip and extra guide info. I don't have a broadband internet connection, so VOD isn't an issue. And from what I've read on this system, VOD isn't that great anymore for folks that DO have it hooked up.

Plus, you can read a chapter in your favorite novel while the R22 restarts before you get a picture. And you can't enable RF and IR remote capability simultaneously. It has ads in the program guide. It's BIG and doesn't fit in spaces the R15 does. I don't like crippled software/hardware. I HATE that obnoxious gray screen that appears when changing channels and other situations. I don't like the fact that the "recording tip OSD" can be turned off on the HR2X version but not on the R22.

But it was free, so I put up with it. But if I had to PAY for it, I would not be happy!

12. dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    My living room is right above the basement - I can basically just follow the coax lines and run it there. I'd rather hardwire it than use power line adapters....

I've been having issues with the phone jack in that location too... it's strange; I fail the modem test, but Caller ID is now working on my R22.

I futzed with the line in my spare time last week and that's what got CID working. No idea if it's dialing out and the modem test is a false negative or what ... more investigation needed. :)

13. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Been away from the forums (and my DirecTV equipment) for over a week and am just now returning, so have a lot of catching up to do. Did not do this past weekends CE's, and won't be able to do next either (oh well...).

Do want to comment on some of the statements by ThomasM. Having had a couple of R15's, an R16, an R22, a couple of HR20's, an HR21, an H21, a couple D11's, and a D12 - I wish to disagree with his opinion regarding the R22. I think it is great, and I am very happy to have the same interface, menu's, and functionality on the R22 as I have on the HR series. I was surprised when they came out with the R16, continuing the NDS based series. I am delighted to see they are moving away from that series and standardizing SD and HD on the DirecTV based system.

He is most welcome to his opinion, I've expressed the counterpoint.

Carl

14. mhayes70

mhayes70 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    I am also very happy with the R22. (I also need to say my wife is too). We have had very few problems with it. I like then network interface (possible MRV in the future :D ), menus and interface just like the HR series. The only thing I don't like is the gray screen.

15. Doug Brott

Doug Brott Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Jul 12, 2006
    Los Angeles
    There was no HR2x or R22 CE this past weekend ;)

16. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I've been away myself, and I appreciate Doug, Tom and Michael keeping an eye on things.

There have been some very minor revisions to the First Look document since you have last seen it. DCMead sent me an excellent mini-review of the manual, and I neatened up a little of the grammar here or there.

I know it's frustrating but please, wait a little longer. We are in the final phase of the trial, which is basically the "no news is good news" phase. Our friends at DIRECTV have told me how pleased they are with you all and it will be just a mite longer until the R22-200 has its public unveiling!