1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Western Digital 2TB purple or green-any difference?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by sanpablo, Oct 27, 2018.

1. sanpablo

sanpablo New Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Hi all,
    I've always added Western Digital Green 2TB to my HR receivers
    but have had to buy them used. I've had good luck with them but I've
    been wondering if just buying a brand new WD purple surveillance HD
    would be just as good for performance? Purple-$69 at Micro Center,
    Green usually around $45 used.
    thanks

Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  2. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    yes
    if the price is good for you, then choose purple vs green, as it build for 24/7 surveillance systems

3. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    WD turned the green drives into blue drives a year or two ago. I'd go with the surveillance drive.

Rich

4. sanpablo

sanpablo New Member

Sep 7, 2007
    So, you would go with the purple drive?
    thanks

5. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    it would be best choice, but for high price
    if you can afford - buy it

6. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    Green drives pretty much suck for DVRs.
    Go Purple if you need lots of space for the money or go SSD if you want even more speed, it won’t last as long but will give you a couple of years of super fast service.

7. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    at what price ?

8. sanpablo

sanpablo New Member

Sep 7, 2007
    The green drives have always worked well for me, no problems
    over many years. The purple drives are reasonably priced.

9. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yes, only because it seems obvious that they're made to be used in DVRs.

Rich

10. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    A few years ago I would have argued that the statement about the Green Caviars above was false. I do have SSDs in two HRs and I can't argue with the second sentence. Yes, I do think the SSDs will/might fail quicker than the HDDs. Fail. Stop working. In this case I think failure of an SSD is a good thing. Here's why: The HDDs don't do that. They degrade slowly and before you know it you have a very slow buggy HR. You can get them working slightly better by applying various bandages but those quick fixes don't last long and you're back to slow and buggy. They still work. That's the problem I've had. I have had HDDs, Green Caviers for the most part, that were in my HRs for over 5 years. I think that's too long. I'd rather have drives that work correctly...then just die.

Worst HR I had was a 24-200 (I think the 24-200s are the best two tuner HRs) with a 2TB external drive. Nothing helped. Buggy and very slow. Stuck an SSD in it and it plays like it's brand new. Only thing that changed was the internal drive. I cannot imagine putting another HDD in or on an HR. I have 3 HRs left without SSDs. As soon as they start slowing down (all have newer HDDs in them) I will put SSDs in or on them. The prices have dropped rather dramatically since I installed the first two SSDs.

Only "con" I see is the loss of capacity. I don't need capacity any more.

Rich

11. sanpablo

sanpablo New Member

Sep 7, 2007
    I picked up a 6TB purple WD off of Ebay for my HR54. Very
    quiet, seems like a good choice. Thanks for your help.

12. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You're welcome. Be interesting to see how it's working a year from now.

Rich

13. sanpablo

sanpablo New Member

Sep 7, 2007
    Yes, I think it will provide good service as I've always had good results
    using WD hard drives. I've had Seagates fail on me in the past.

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Problem I see with the HDDs is they keep working when they don't really work as well as they did when new. Every time I stick a new HDD in a DVR I see the same thing...the DVR works as well as you would expect a brand new DVR to work. Then degradation of some sort works its way in and we end up with slow, buggy DVRs. I'm beginning to wonder if the HDDs should be changed out every two or three years. HDDs are relatively inexpensive these days, that wouldn't be a burden.

I'm not sure how long I've had my 44. Been a few years. Always had problems with it. Put a 3TB in it when I got it and after a couple years had lots of problems that I blamed on software updates. Stuck a new drive in it a couple months ago and all those problems went right away. What else can I think caused all those problems? Sure sounds like the HDD.

Rich

15. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    Green drives are some of the slowest drives on the planet. They lower the rotation speed of the platters to a slow speed when idling in order to save energy (hence the Green name). The problem is they don't just jump up back in speed instantly, it takes a bit of data flow before it realizes it's not just a small file your accessing.

16. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    I found this on the WD Support site.
    What is the difference between a desktop drive and a WD Purple drive?

The WD Purple drive is designed specifically for 24/7 DVR and NVR surveillance solutions and is optimized with AllFrame™ technology for system playback and performance.

WD Purple drives support 3x the workload rating of desktop drives, making them more capable of handling the higher demands of video surveillance systems.

And this link to some more info:
    WD Purple Surveillance Hard Drive | Western Digital (WD)

17. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    I have to deal with lots of HD's at work and by far the Green drives clock in as the slowest of drives in real world use. They are also one of the most unreliable and our company has basically banned them from use. BTW it seems WD knows of the bad rep as they no longer sell the Green drives but have rebaged them as "Blue" drives.

Whats happening is three fold. The drive is becoming more fragmented as time passes by. Contrary to popular myth the fragmentation problem is not really gone, it's just gotten to be less of a problem. The more shows you record and erase is the more fragmentation that is occurring.

The second issue is bad sectors which will grow as the years pass. The drive will mark off the bad sectors and not use them again but that also leads to a kind of fragmentation and a derogation of speed.

The third problem is a general break down of the magnetic properties of the platter. The drive writes to a sector then tries to read it back. On a new drive the written data will take hold on the first time every time. As the drive gets older the data is written and when checked is not correct so it is written again and sometimes again and again. This leads to a slow down in operation. If after a certain amount of tries it cannot read back an exact match it will mark that sector as defective and move on.

The best tuners I have ever owned are in the original HR20-100. That DVR would always have a signal that was about 5% better than any of my other receivers. When the rain would come the others would start to break up but the HR20 would always last a bit longer.

Same here, I use to like a big drive in a DVR but after getting bit in the butt a few times with Hard Drive deaths and the loss of entire un-watched seasons I am more into spreading things out over multiple DVR's with smaller drives rather than putting all my eggs in one basket. That's the main reason that the Genie system has no appeal to me. Lose that Hard Drive and everyone's shows are lost.

18. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    BTW folks if you want an SSD drive that will last in a DVR for many many years, probably as long or longer than a platter drive you can do it with the Samsung Pro series drive. The bigger the drive the better. So a Samsung 860 Pro 1 TB will last a long time but it's not cheap. The memory cells in the Pro series drives are rated for something like 10 times more cycles than the regular Samsung SSD drives and therefore are twice the price.

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Lowest price on Amazon for the 1TB Pro is ~ $300. The 1TB SSD I have on the 44 is an HVO and cost me ~ $200. I see it going for $162 today. The way the prices are dropping I could replace the drive every year. I will keep the info on the Pro models in mind. If the prices for them drop below $200 I'll start using them. Not in any hurry, both HRs with SSDs are working well. Thanx for all the info.

Rich

20. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I can't complain about the reliability of the Green drives that I've used. I think I got more than 5 years out of every one I used. I do think I would have been better off if I had replaced them every 3 years.

What you wrote about why the drives degrade explains what I've seen. Well said.

What I meant about the 24-200s was the overall performance and reliability. I had less problems with them than other models. I had lots of 20-100s, never had one that worked. Most were in such bad shape I couldn't activate them. 2006-2007 was a bad time.

What I went thru beginning in the Fall of 2006 soured me on the HRs. I had so many problems with them I almost went back to cable. At the peak I had 12 HRs running and most of what they did was back up each other. All had 2TB drives in them and I never lost any programming. If one failed all that content was always on other 24s, nothing lost. All because I don't trust the damn things. Cost me a lot of money solving that problem.

The single point of failure on the Genies is only on the HS17 systems. The 44s and 54s don't have that problem if you have other HRs on the system.

Rich