"Westworld" [HBO]

Discussion in 'TV Show Talk' started by Delroy E Walleye, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Oct 3, 2016 #1 of 51
    Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Intrigued.

Much to figure out, here. I haven't read or heard anything about this series other than seeing a couple of promos. (Of course I remember the movies from the 70s.)

I'm sure much more knowledge is out there. But I think I can make a few educated guesses based on the first ep as to where they might take things.

Suffice to say I found it entertaining.

I'll look forward to more in-depth commentary from Huuge (or anyone else that wants to comment).

Gotta like "Black Hole Sun" on the player piano.

2. Oct 3, 2016 #2 of 51
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Looking forward to watching my recording of last night's pilot.

3. Oct 3, 2016 #3 of 51
    Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Need to watch my DVR version as well... Initially I had no interest... already watching too much TV... but started to hear/read some good things about it that made me put it on the DVR to take a look.

4. Oct 4, 2016 #4 of 51
    MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    Viewed the pilot last night. Intriguing with heavy emphisis on mankind's lust for violence and debauchery.

5. Oct 4, 2016 #5 of 51
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Loved the book and the Yul Brynner movie so I'm recording the HBO show. Will start watching after I have 4 or 5 episodes.

6. Oct 5, 2016 #6 of 51
    Huuge Hefner

Huuge Hefner New Member

Aug 16, 2016
    Intriguing might be the word that sums this up.

Also intriguing was the symphony version of 'Paint It Black' during the massacre. Rights to this stuff are not cheap, and one wonders why they went there. 'Paint It Black' has a wonderful soulful melody, and it works here, other than recognizing it sort of takes you out of the fantasy a little bit, so I am puzzled why they would do that. Not a complaint, I can't find anything here to complain about.

But I think we are looking at multiple Emmys here, for sure. This thing is as well-produced as any show ever, and the title sequence is as beautiful as I have ever seen. The art direction is without parallel.

And the cast is pretty great. Everyone is interesting, and intriguing.

The pilot held my interest, and unless they run out of gas I think I'm all in here. Never seen GOT, and I considered Boardwalk Empire to be more like Bored-walk Empire, but this looks like the best thing HBO has had since The Sopranos.

It will be interesting to see where this goes. Right now they have the advantage programs like this have early on in that there is a lot of mystery stimulating a lot of viewer curiosity. That will not last, once they start to reveal things, but I feel confident that they have much more in store for us than mystery.

They did a credit to the actor Eddie Rouse (1954-2014) who played 'Kissy'. Sorry about that, but he died in 2014. How long had the pilot been on the shelf? I know this thing has a history of having a difficult birth, and they delayed releasing it partway through production so the writers could catch up, which I think is a great idea, but that's an awful long time between pilot and series.

But, five stars. I was very impressed.

7. Oct 5, 2016 #7 of 51
    Huuge Hefner

Huuge Hefner New Member

Aug 16, 2016
    Why wait? 10 eps are in the can. HBO never pulls anything mid-run, and never even changes the time slot.

OK, maybe to binge? I'd rather savor. Let each ep marinate in my mind a little before the next one. It's like 'tantric TV', even if you aren't Sting.

Still mad at my ex for getting into an argument with me and making us miss the movie when it came out. Like a hundred years ago.

8. Oct 5, 2016 #8 of 51
    inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    And it's HBO. No need to worry about recording it even if you don't want to watch it now since it's always available for on demand. :)

9. Oct 5, 2016 #9 of 51
    phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    No reason to stay mad. You can stream the 1973 movie in HD at Amazon for $3.99, the first theatrical feature written and directed by Michael Crichton.

It starred Yul Brynner as an android and Richard Benjamin and James Brolin as guests. Nominated for Hugo, Nebula and Saturn awards, it was the first feature film to use digital image processing to pixellate photography to simulate an android point of view. At the time it was cool. It's also available as a DVD from Netflix.

IMHO the best recent review of the movie is this one in which were told:

10. trainman

trainman Hall Of Fame

Jan 9, 2008
    Sherman...
    There was a player-piano version of "Black Hole Sun" heard at one point as well. Kind of reinforced the idea that this was an anachronistic theme-park version of the Old West. (Kind of along the lines of this video, in which, in the 2010s, a 1950s song is sung in an 1890s-themed area of a theme park.)

11. Huuge Hefner

Huuge Hefner New Member

Aug 16, 2016
    I have to watch this again, even though I have scores of eps backed up of other great shows I want to get to.

This thing is so brilliant, the more I think about it. And as fantastic as it is, they seem to have suspended all disbelief. 3D printing the hosts? Genius. It's both beautiful and horrific all at once.

It's kind of a cross between Ex Machina and Jurrasic Park, which I guess makes sense, since Michael Chricton penned that as well as WW. It's a lot like Jurrasic Park with cowboy robots instead of dinosaurs, but it looks like it will go a lot deeper than that ever did, four sequels later. If MC were still with us, I think he'd be proud.

People are complaining about a rape scene, which they did not see nor hear. It happened off screen. Lighten up.

Anthony Hopkins, in his creepiest yet most relatable role since Silence of the Lambs, addressed the anachronicity pretty brilliantly, in speaking about Gertrude Stein. Best writing since Rust Cole in True Detective.

They also made a clever statement about swearing too much. The dramatacist tech who is bellyaching uses the F word about every 3 words in his tirade, and it just gets more amusing the longer he goes on how as smart as this guy is supposed to be, that he doesn't realize that using the F word nineteen times in four paragraphs isn't completely undermining his own points that he is trying to make.

In a story full of confusion like this, those little nuances, or 'reveries' as Dr Ford refers to them, are what make these characters interesting.

12. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    10 may be in the can but 10 haven't aired yet... I'd prefer to binge at least 3 episodes.

13. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I'm just finishing up a binge of Boardwalk Empire and I did find it difficult to get thru the first season. I wouldn't call it "boring", just difficult to get thru because of the usual first season of getting every character introduced and the time frame setup. Once I started the second season the series really took off (I had watched the whole series when it came out and did the binge just for kicks) and each season has improved upon the last. Sooo, "boring" it's not. I think.

We are also finishing Hell On Wheels in another binge. My wife had never seen the series and we both found the first season to be kinda draggy. Then it really took off. This seems to be common in long series, they really need that setup cushion.

Rich

14. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Just saw a promo for a 60 minutes segment about machines that "think for themselves" with a brief clip of a really creepy android-type thing in it.

Suffice to say, machines like that are really gonna need those "reveries" for us (me at least) to get past that creepiness factor.

"Uncanny valley" times 1000.

15. Huuge Hefner

Huuge Hefner New Member

Aug 16, 2016
    I do not disagree, but to me bored-walk was an exception. I made it through the setup, midway into the second season before I came to my senses.

Back OT, the second ep is not as dazzling as the first.

16. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Agreed.

And that stupid "comedy" bit with the knuckle-headed "surgeons." Would a place like that really trifle with having their hosts walking around with deadly MRSA?? (or did I get that bit wrong?..)

Series is leaving me with many more questions than answers, and I'm not sure I have the patience required to ride it out. I'll probably give it a few more eps before deciding whether to pull the plug.

17. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Shows like this will always have lots of questions. And more every time one gets answered.

18. Huuge Hefner

Huuge Hefner New Member

Aug 16, 2016
    I feel like I'm in. If it doesn't go down hill, at least.

And I can't get over how beautiful the set decoration, art dec, and opening credits are. It's as good as any show I can think of, in that regard.

You think where they might have gone, with a future where they spy on everything that they've created, and the first thing you think is rooms full of flatscreens, like Minority Report. But no, no rooms full of flatscreens. This is a future where technology is so advanced that it solved one of the biggest problems technology has, which is it is omnipresent and can't get out of its own way.

in 2003, MR was prescient, and impressive. But this blows the doors off. The ideas they are showing us about how invisible the tech is are really brilliant.

19. Huuge Hefner

Huuge Hefner New Member

Aug 16, 2016
    Now to fan theory.

There are some interesting 'conspiracy' theories on Reddit. One of the most intriguing is that Billy (or is it William?) is also the Man in Black, in an earlier timeline, which if true means we just saw his origin story. The 'evidence' is that the timelines are separate in that nothing happens or is referred to in one and then the other, and that there is a different, perhaps older, WW logo in the Billy timeline. The two characters do not appear together, supporting the 'Donald and Adolph are never seen ever together in the same place. Hmmmm' theory. I sort of hope this is correct.

There are also some other theories, such as the steeple being the highest point of the original WW that was buried in the desert, and that the little boy is a host created by Ford from an archetype of himself, based on the theories that hosts are based on real personalities, as was uncovered in Futureworld.

And there might be a clue. In that scene, the little boy and Ford are dressed precisely the same. White shirt, suit vest and matching dark trousers, no tie.

Further, Hector Ecaton (a brilliant performance) may be the host reincarnation of Logan. They sort of seem like the same person, and have the same evil nature, and even look quite alike. Since Delos owns rights to all DNA captured from 'guests', that might be possible.

20. Huuge Hefner

Huuge Hefner New Member

Aug 16, 2016
    OK, and I might have figured out one of those mysteries, with a conspiracy theory of my own.

I just learned that ep 2 was really shot as part of a 2-hour (2:15) pilot, and then that was 'reimagined' into two shorter episodes.

If I am the producers, and I am HBO, I want to front-load that first 'pilot' and get social media humming in our favor, so i would, without disturbing the organic flow, take all of the best sequences from the 2+ hours, shoehorn them into the 'pilot' ep, and try to take the rest and make something coherent out of what was left over to make the second ep.

And it would be easy to do as the scenes are all 'slice of life' scenes without a strong serialization of events. This would be the functional equivalent of exactly what the opposite approach was when they took Godfather I and Godfather II apart and re-edited them into the Godfather 'Teleplay', for TV, which recounted the events in strictly serial fashion (and makes for a credible first viewing for neophytes).

If true, it would explain why the climax scene (Delores slapping the fly dead) did not lead to character progression of her character in ep 2. That was supposed to happen at the 2-hour mark, in the original envisioning. Well, that is my theory, anyway.

It would also explain a lot more, even supporting some of the theories I mentioned earlier. So maybe the reason ep 2 was 'not as dazzling' as I characterized it not to be, was because it was basically the leftovers used for cleanup. It was the bottom of the batting order of good ideas and compelling scenes.

I sort of hope that is true, because doing that may have crippled ep 2 slightly, at the expense of the 'pilot'. Which could mean that eps 3 and forward will have their own brilliance not crippled by late-comers with their Final Cut Pro or Avid Symphony workstations (burn in hell, Avid) meddling with the vision.