WET610N First Look

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - Wireless Networking (private)' started by Greg Alsobrook, Sep 29, 2009.

1. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    Alright guys. It's that time. This forum will be closed in the near future... so we need to get rolling on the first look. I'm not sure that the first look will be released anytime soon, but it would be nice to go ahead and get everything in order.

I know some of you have already drafted some documentation, taken photos, etc. So let's see exactly where we're at and what we still need.

2. msmith

msmith Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    Not a First Look question, but ....

Do we get to keep the WET610?

3. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Yes you get to keep the WET610.

Folks, as most of you know I craft the final PDF files of the First Look documents, and I'm anxious to work with you on the final text. I know there have already been some discussions so let's work together to get this buttoned up.

Thank you.

4. dmurphy

dmurphy Active Member

Sep 28, 2006
    To be fair, I don't notice much of a difference from the WGA600n. We could almost do a cut-n-paste from the WGA600N First Look doc! :)

There was some initial 'shakedown' when the WGA600n was first rolled out, but none of that has happened with the WET610n for me so far. It was just plain plug n' play.

I do wish for the same thing I wished for with the WGA600n -- specifically, I would like to see better wording on the WEP/WPA key entry screen. It would be helpful to remind folks that capitalization matters, and which keys to use for punctuation.

Otherwise, this thing appears ready to roll!

5. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    I know a couple guys have started working on it, but I haven't heard anything for awhile.

If you guys need help, feel free to ask me.

6. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    If the feeling is that I could just as easily take the WGA First Look and put in some new pictures, I could do that too.

7. Huskie_2009

Huskie_2009 Icon

Jan 12, 2009
  8. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    Hmmmmm....I reported that my WET6100N is working so well...I now use it to drive the Internet connection for my DECA cloud. Fast throughput and solid connections.

In any case....I recall that there are 3-4 who have been collecting photos and content for some time, and Drew2K has also been updating the FAQ thread / post.

Stuart is great at taking all your input and placing it into his great First Look template.

9. Greg Alsobrook

Greg Alsobrook Lifetime Achiever

Apr 1, 2007
    Huskie... Nobody said "done". We're far from done actually. It's simply that issue reporting and discussion is moving from this closed forum to the public CE forum.

10. Alebob911

Alebob911 Hall Of Fame

Mar 22, 2007
    CERES,CA
    I'll get my "user experience" written up today and post it for the first look. Again if there are any pics that are needed please let me know by PM and I'll get them taken. :)

Alebob911's experience with the WET610N

Initial installation was quite easy and exactly as the WGA600N. After making the ethernet connection to the HR22 and powering up the WET610N, a OSD was presented after a few minutes once the WET610N was found. It went through the process of scanning for wireless networks. Once complete, the networks found are displayed. Once you choose your network, it detects if there is security and if so prompts for the key. Once entered it attempts to make the connection. After it connects it informs you of that and then displays messages about being connected to the internet. Overall performance of the WET610N was great. I have no issues using it for DoD, MRV and using PlayOn via mediashare. The only thing about the WET610N that should be noted, is that it runs pretty warm and that should be taken into consideration when deciding placement of the device. I would like to thank Directv, DBStalk and the WET610N Field test team for the opportunity to test this device.

Stuart, feel free to choose whatever you want from this for the firstlook if needed/wanted. Hope it helps.

11. Huskie_2009

Huskie_2009 Icon

Jan 12, 2009
    Then you're to blame for having this operation shutdown? ;)

Congrats to you but what about others reporting that anytime the WET is connected to the MRV server, the client sees a nice gray screen followed by an "unable to access media" error?

Then it's not the WET after all?
    Or are they just satisfied with the current setup wizard and the rest gets bundled into the CE issues threads?

PS: My setup wizard still fails to see my SSID even though it is being broadcasted.

12. Huskie_2009

Huskie_2009 Icon

Jan 12, 2009
    Then I'll have to say "Hey, I bought this WET610N at Bestbuy and I'm having a problem setting this up via the wizard"
    ;) Check ;)

Adding: I just want to say it was a pleasure working with everyone here during this field trial.
    Thanks Greg for the invite.

13. Stuart Sweet

Jun 18, 2006
    Folks, as these threads will rapidly be closed, please contact me via private message with any material you have for the first look.

14. hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001 Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2004
    :lol::lol::lol:
    Hardly
    Admittedly...with various security, router configurations, and network setups....this can be pretty much plug and play for some, and setup safari's for others.

15. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I'm surprised I haven't seen any mention of the popup with folks who have WET610Ns yet.

Likewise. I'm disappointed that I couldn't get it to work for one of my DVRs, but it's the location not the adapter.

16. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    Once it actually works for me I'll submit my feedback. :)

I must say I'm really surprised that this section is closing and a first look being pushed out with some of us still having issues with the bridge.

17. jba115

jba115 Godfather

Oct 6, 2006
    Since the HR20-100 connected to the WET160 plays the HR20-100 connected to the D* powerline adapter perfectly, yet the other way around, playback is unwatchable, I thought I'd switch the connections and see if things change.

Was hoping to give one more CE a chance to resolve issues prior to doing the swap. If this thread closes prior to that, I either will have to do the swap in the next day or so, or won't have a chance to wait for another CE to test and then do the swap and report the results here.

Seemed like a valid test, but If that is ok with you, so be it.

18. Phil T

Phil T Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Mar 25, 2002
    Littleton,...
    Thanks for the invite also.

I am still having issues with mine and will test it again with this weeks CE.

I will post if I get it working. It has been one way only MVR from HR21 to HR22 and will not accept the key from my Apple Time Capsule.

19. Groundhog45

Groundhog45 Hall Of Fame

Nov 9, 2005
    Cedar Park,...
    I still plan to test with the H23-600 tomorrow after I get the TV repair completed. I'll post results somewhere. :D

I posted some pics in the photos thread, some of which were used in one version of the first look document draft. If any are needed, need to be retaken, or downrezed please let me know. I'm also available to proof read.

It's been fun as usual, guys.

:wave:

20. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    Im glad that I was able to contribute whatever I could. It was a lot fun and was happy to see some of my ideas make it to the FAQ's. Thanks Greg for the invite and look forward to seeing the contributions of a great group on the First Look.

Stuart I dont know if its a lot of trouble to use our pics and FAQ's rather than just a cut and paste. I think it means more for the group if you could maybe merge some stuff so that you dont go through too much trouble.

Thanks again. This truly was a pleasure to be a part of.