WET610N Up and Running

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - Wireless Networking (private)' started by JimMariner, Aug 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JimMariner

JimMariner Just Another Ol'Salt

Sep 19, 2007
    Well Mine is all hooked up and running. I had problems with the software on the CD in Win7 (64 Bit). So I signed in through the devices webpage to configure it.

I can see the HR2* in Directv2Pc as being on the network.

But since I am on the Customer Canadate on all my HRs. I will have to wait for the return of MRV. For more complete testing.

How is everyone else doing?

2. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    As in the other post. Everything for me is working fine other than MRV is not active on my CE at this time. Like the setup. Very easy at least for me. If i were a customer than it worked with the CD every time I would say this could be an easy thing for customers to use.

3. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    If your router supports WPS, that is even easier. After I realized that the DVR firmware didn't support this model it took me probably less than a minute to set it up with WPS. :)

4. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    It does but I try to see the CE program and most of the stuff I beta through the eyes of a customer. Most people can get through a CD. I am versed enough that I can do things in the most tech way but that is not the majority of Directv's customers. Maybe in the CE world but not in the NR world where the final product needs to be near perfect.

But I found it very easy enough that even my grandparents could do it and they hate technology.

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I think the big question is, if you plug it into the HR2x without any configuration, is it recognized and does it set up like the WRT600N?

6. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    I was just wondering that as I read thru this thread. I plan on finding out when I get home from work tonight.

7. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    Nobody has had success with this yet. Hoping for a CE on friday:)

8. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    The WRT600N is a router, not a bridge, so the answer is no. It is not recognized like the WGA600N either (hopefully the NR or next CE will fix that).

In my opinion, WPS (which the WGA600N also supports) is the easiest way to set things up, as you don't need to deal with the SSID or password at all. After enabling that, I told the DVR to connect and it did (with DHCP). Network Services is working also.

9. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    I would be happy to undo what I did and retest it this way once we have a CE on Friday. I didnt even try since it didnt seem that it was going to work.

10. Strejcek

Strejcek Icon

Sep 27, 2006
    HR22 saw the bridge, but it would not configure it by way of automatic IP address. I had to set it to static IP. Other than that, software would not run via autorun, I had to run setup from within the Pureinstaller directory. Could be because I'm running Vista 64? Both of my HR2x boxes are still on the MRV CE, so as soon as I am done setting everything up, I'll report back with my findings. oh I also took a bunch of pics and screen shots.

11. Movieman

Movieman Hall Of Fame

May 8, 2009
    Hopefully not has on the site this is one of the minimum requirements.

12. Huskie_2009

Huskie_2009 Icon

Jan 12, 2009
    Just my opinion but Stuart is correct. We can play with it all we want but in the end, the receiver needs to do everything to get this running.

I know relatives that don't have a computer and have a few I wish never did.
    CD, non Vista 64 bit, it's not going to matter.

13. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    I just set mine up manually using the default IP address through a browser on Mac.

I can confirm also that it was not recognized on my HR20-700 when plugged in.

14. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Yeah - I plugged it into the HR20-100 running -0x349 and .... nothing happened!

I configured it via the setup wizard on the CD and now it's working great.

Here's my question when we get to HR2x configuration: Will it provide all of the same options as the CD setup? Will it let me password protect the bridge? Select a SSID? Will it do Wireless Protected Setup or will I have to select my security mode, encryption type and input the passphrase?

15. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    It will password protect.
    It should recognize your security mode after the SSID is selected.
    You will have to input the passphrase into the receiver, if configured thru the receiver.

16. Drew2k

Drew2k New Member

Aug 16, 2006
    Thanks for the answers. Will we be able to use WiFi Protected Setup? My router has the button and so does the bridge, so even if not in the HR2x setup steps, maybe the physical option could work ...

17. dave29

dave29 New Member

Feb 18, 2007
    If you use that, it pretty much defeats the purpose of the set-up thru the Directv receiver. You can do everything thru the set-up menus of the receiver once it gets the right code from the CE.

18. Canis Lupus

Canis Lupus You make it, We break it

Oct 16, 2006
    I would guess the HR2x software will not be that complex.

The WGA600N is pretty straightforward, offering plug-in, detect, enter SSID, and enter password type and password using triple-tap, but that's about it - at least for DHCP.

19. tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    That's a good question. I haven't ever played with the protected setup feature, all of my WGA600Ns were plug and go via the HR menu.

20. tfederov

tfederov Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    Worked well for static IPs too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.