1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WGN America?!

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Dan Serafini, May 27, 2008.

1. Dan Serafini

Dan Serafini AllStar

Feb 5, 2007
    From today's Chicago Tribune:

Can/does this mean we are any closer to DirecTV giving WGN some HD space?

2. OverThereTooMuch

OverThereTooMuch Almost a new member

Aug 18, 2006
    What would make you think that? If anything, it makes me think it's LESS likely to get HD space, since the channel isn't performing well.

3. Dan Serafini

Dan Serafini AllStar

Feb 5, 2007
    I would think that the fact that the station is getting a new identity and adding different programming will make it more attractive to a provider such as DirecTV.

4. paulman182

paulman182 Hall Of Fame

Aug 4, 2006
    If ratings is the performance gauge, I'm sure it is performing better than MGMHD or Smithsonian HD, and we got those.

Management is probably basing "performance" on advertising sales, however.

5. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
  6. MikeW

MikeW Hall Of Fame

May 16, 2002
    It is the whole "lipstick on a pig" thing. You can call the station whatever you want. If the programming isn't popular, people won't watch. It is a rather simple concept in the TV industry...

Here's a sampling of today's exciting schedule...

Americas Funniest Home Videos (x 3)
    Cosby Show (x 2)
    Sister, Sister (x 2)
    Matlock

7. Geronimo

Geronimo Native American Potentate DBSTalk Gold Club

Mar 23, 2002
    I think it is just a rebranding. The station has not been a true superstation for some time now. I think that they are trying to allay confusion on that point. i don't see why it would change the likelihood of HD Carriage at all.

8. machavez00

machavez00 Hall Of Fame

Nov 2, 2006
    Phoenix,...
    A little more from Wikipedia
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WGN_America#History

9. ansky

ansky Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2005
    In a nutshell WGN America is going to try and compete harder with TBS.

10. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    WGN went downhill once they stopped showing Cubs Baseball games nationwide. Without the Cubs, it was nothing more than the same old stuff you could get on a local station - no idea why TBS seems to have done better, other than being packaged with all the other Turner channels back in the day.

That said, I don't watch either anymore. Wasted bandwidth imo.

11. ansky

ansky Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2005
    They still show the Cubs and White Sox. Just not as many games as they did in the past.

12. Dan Serafini

Dan Serafini AllStar

Feb 5, 2007
    They still show some Cubs games, but nowhere near as many as they once did, as the team/Tribune makes more $$ on Comcast Sports Chicago.

13. say-what

say-what Active Member

Dec 14, 2006
    New Orleans
    I know, but back in the day I could watch almost every game, now they don't show enough to make it worth my time.

14. dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    I haven't watched WGN since FarScape ended... Is there still programming on it?

15. levibluewa

levibluewa Icon

Aug 13, 2005
    WA, OR, CA
    There has been a lot of rumors about DISH adding WGNHD nationally. If that occurs I think Directv will follow shortly thereafter.

16. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    A contact at WGN says soon for WGN America HD being added on E* while not looking good for D* to add them, they don't seem to be interested in it.

17. jamieh1

jamieh1 Hall Of Fame

May 1, 2003
    That has got to be one of the worst channel logos Ive seen, what does a woman's face have to do with AMERICA.

Maybe a WGN logo with a flag in the back ground would work better.

18. kycubsfan

kycubsfan AllStar

Sep 1, 2007
    I'm not shocked at the poor ratings - their schedule, save for a few properties of value, amounts to nothing more than lame filler to keep the lights on when they aren't showing sports.

"Corner Gas?" "DaVinci's Inquest?" Seriously?!

19. kycubsfan

kycubsfan AllStar

Sep 1, 2007
    I don't understand it. They build MLBEI into an HD powerhouse, but leave the 4-5 WGN games per week in fuzzy, nearly-unwatchable shape. They could at least put WGN-HD on CONUS on a limited basis for MLBEI purposes.

WGN on 307 is down-rezzed to ridiculous levels.

20. Msguy

Msguy Hall Of Fame

May 22, 2003
    While some Cubs and White Sox games are on WGN, Something tells me the Cubs and White Sox are going to start dwindling down there telecasts on WGN. The Cubs telecasts this year already are less on WGN than in previous years. While I wish that WGN would be in HD on DirecTv something tells me that DirecTv won't add WGN in HD because While nothing has been announced yet, I think The Cubs will eventually leave WGN for Comcast Sportsnet Chicago and WCIU-Chicago area only Television. Just like The Atlanta Braves left TBS. The game telecasts over WGN are about 5 less each year it seems. Who want's to watch America's Funniest Home Videos in HD or Corner Gas, or Becker? The only reason I would want WGN HD is for the Baseball Coverage and I see that going away in the next couple or years. It's sad to even think WGN might lose baseball but look what happend with the Braves. I see that day coming although i don't want it to. WGN and the Cubs are a tradition.