WGN America

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by evotz, Jul 23, 2015.

1. evotz

evotz Active Member

Jan 23, 2014
    I'm wondering if there's been any thought about bringing WGN America down to the Choice package with DirecTV?

I'm sure it goes back to money and how much WGN wants to be broadcast on DirecTV in certain packages. But I was thinking that one of the reasons WGN was only in the more expensive packages was because of sports, Cubs games, maybe some Bulls games. I know the Cubs games are no longer on WGN America, I'm not sure about other games.

I'm sure nothing would happen until WGN's contract with DirecTV is up. Still, just wondering if any think it might eventually come to the Choice package.

I'm aware that there is WGN America and WGN Channel 9 in Chicago. WGN Channel 9 still carries some Cubs games, but they're not on the nationally broadcast WGN America superstation.

2. alnielsen

alnielsen Godfather

Dec 31, 2006
    ...- .....
    Plus, the original show Manhatten is only available on WGN America. It's not shown on WGN Channel 9.

3. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    At least Dtv subs get it in HD.

Nice job comcarp they added WGN America in SD only.

RCN has WGN America HD and CLTV HD

4. Grafixguy

Grafixguy Godfather

Mar 15, 2008
    New Jersey
    Manhattan is a fabulous show. Can't wait for season two to start.

1 person likes this.
  5. alnielsen

alnielsen Godfather

Dec 31, 2006
    ...- .....
    I think the series starts season 2 on Oct.13th.

6. Mariah2014

Mariah2014 Breaking the mold

Apr 21, 2006
    Phoenix Metro
    I wouldn't be surprised to see them move WGN America down a level now that the sports are no longer on the site, but having said that there are stations at higher levels with just reruns on them.

7. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Actually, unless they dropped the price and renegotiated the deal that won't happen. And DIRECTV needs to keep as many in higher tiers as possible so it can keep a good price difference between tiers. I think it's to similar right now myself.

8. Lord Vader

Lord Vader Supreme Member

Sep 20, 2004
    Galactic Empire
    No more Chicago sports games will be on WGN America. Cubs, White Sox, Bulls, and Blackhawks games, when shown on WGN, will be shown only on WGN channel 9 local channel, viewable only by those in the Chicago channel 9 market.

9. evotz

evotz Active Member

Jan 23, 2014
    Any clues as to when the contract with WGN and DirecTV is up? I wouldn't expect anything to change until that contract is up - and even then I'm not sure if anything would change.

I was just kind of under the impression that one of the reasons it was in the higher priced tiers was because of some of the sports they were showing. I wasn't sure what all sports they showed, I know they used to show just about every Cubs game but that died out years ago and died out completely this year. I wasn't sure about any other sports.

I'm on the Choice package. Can't really justify upgrading to a new package just for one measly channel. But Manhattan looked like a pretty good show. It would be great if it could come down to the Choice package, but I'm not holding my breathe.

10. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    Comcast here doesn't carry WGN America at all... or BET, Univision, Telemundo, and several other channels. But they do have Pac 12 and Military History in glorious SD.

I think the change of WGN over the years from SuperStation WGN to WGN America has been very sad. Just reruns and same-old, same-old. I miss the Chicago news and sports with, what, 2 original shows? I haven't watched WGN America for one second since the Cubs were last on there.

11. sunfire9us

sunfire9us Godfather

Feb 15, 2009
    WGN America is now totally worthless since they dropped the Cubs telecasts next to the other content only on the local channel. I say DTV and the other providers may as well save their money and dump the channel once their contracts are over

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk

12. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    Fully agree. WGN America is no different than many of the other cable channels - mostly the same-old reruns that are on other channels and same old movies. TBS and TNT are similar - EXCEPT THEY SHOW SPORTS!

13. Grafixguy

Grafixguy Godfather

Mar 15, 2008
    New Jersey
    You've obviously never watched Manhattan.

2 people like this.
  14. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    I have. I didn't understand what was happening and couldn't follow it so I stopped after 2 episodes.