1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Whacked Weather in June, 2013

Discussion in 'The OT' started by Mark Holtz, Jun 28, 2013.

1. Mark Holtz

Mark Holtz Day Sleeper DBSTalk Club

Mar 23, 2002
    Sacramento, CA
    I swear, June, 2013 is whacked weather month. In June, 2013, according to Weather Underground, we had the following:
    • A high of 108 (which broke a record) on Saturday, June 8th, only to be followed the next day by a high of 79.
    • A high of 69 with rain on Monday, June 24th.
    • A 6+ consecutive days of temperatures above 100 degrees starting Friday, June 28th. I feel like I'm going to be mugged!
    Thoughts?

2. Laxguy

Laxguy Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    You must be in my area- [real clue from link to weather stats]. (I am East of Sacto, in a nice almond grove). It's predicted to climb the ladder, starting with today, and hit 106 in a few days.

Thoughts? Only that it's weird, but weather does that every now and then.....Still holding out on the A/C though. My girl likes it hot.

3. Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    Well, this June is going to be NYC wettest June ever.

4. SayWhat?

SayWhat? Know Nothing

Jun 6, 2009
    We got more rain on one day in early June that we had all last summer (Jun-Jul-Aug). Temps have been in the low 90s for that last few days, but may only be around 80 for the next few days.

5. Bronxiniowa

Bronxiniowa Member

Apr 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Here in Iowa, it's been the wettest April, May and June on record, with wildly fluctuating temperatures.

While one year's weather does not make a pattern, the additional moisture in the year could be an indication of the permanent presence of added water vapor in the air resulting from the warming of the seas. Scientists believe warming of the seas is in fact due to the added CO2 in the atmosphere.

6. TheSpider

TheSpider Cool Member

Jul 3, 2012
    im up here in upstate ny and ithas ben the most wetest summar i can remember. we have had lot of rane and their has even ben some flodding of rodes here maby it will get dryer as july sets in day say most of the rane in july will be in the south maby even flodding proporshens their.

7. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    Here in southern Illinois it has been all over the place too. While we haven't hit the upper 90's yet, the humidity has been horribly high for this time of year. The last few mornings starting out in the upper 70's with high humidity and no breeze at all.

Tomorrow is supposed to be starting out in the upper 60's topping out in the lower 80's and do that for about a week.

8. yosoyellobo

yosoyellobo Icon

Nov 1, 2006
    Jacksonville Fl
    A couple of weeks ago at Cecil Field in Jacksonville fl it went from 102 to 65 in less then a half hour.

9. redsoxfan26

redsoxfan26 Godfather

Dec 6, 2007
    West...
    I've heard of temps nearing 100 in Alaska this past week!

10. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Northern California and part of Oregon was recently subjected to a rare out-of-season "atmospheric river" (sometimes referred to as a Pineapple Express) so it isn't normal.

11. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    Thanks, harsh, but is this week's prediction of five or so days over 103 normal or not so much?

12. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!!

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    Be glad you're not in Las Vegas. The high doesn't drop below 115° until Tuesday.

13. Laxguy

Dec 2, 2010
    Winters,...
    I'll keep that in mind, David! How bout early a.m. temps? At least the predictions here are for low 70's at dawn.....

Stay cool, man.

14. David Ortiz

David Ortiz Save the Clock Tower!!

Aug 21, 2006
    Fresno, CA
    I'm in Fresno, not Vegas. I just keep track of Vegas because as hot as it is here in Fresno, it could be worse, like it is in Vegas. The low in Vegas finally drops below 90° on Wednesday.

15. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    Just dont go to Death Valley:

Source: http://www.wunderground.com/news/5-facts-about-punishing-western-heat-20130628

16. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    I'm right in the middle of all the rain here (GR MI).. almost all of it has jumped over us.. only rained a couple times..been actually quite nice last 2 weeks,,

17. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    We had a series of small thunderstorm cells sit on us last night. 5.2 inches total in about 1:5 hours. The Davis weather station recorded max rain rate of 41.14 inches per hour at 7:40 pm!!

We live on a fairly large lake so there's no danger of flooding (other than my basement), but there were several people rescued from cars less than a mile away.

18. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I've experienced more rain fade this month than I did all of last year.

19. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Y, I think I had more rain fade that storm than all total since I've had Directv -1997!

20. AntAltMike

AntAltMike Hall Of Fame

Nov 20, 2004
    College...
    The earth is a pretty big place, and we haven't been keeping comprehensive weather records very long. I doubt that there has been a year in my lifetime in which some regions did not experience historic weather extremes and of course now, we have so many more measurement sites and so much more media interconnection that I am less inclined than are most to attribute these reported extremes to any pet theories of man made or man aggravated causation.

I have seen the widely circulated graphs of earth average temperatures recorded over the last century or so, and while any plausible regression of those data points does exhibit an upward incline, we are now in about the tenth year of the fifth plateau along such lines, which I find difficult to reconcile with the trajectory projections that are the impetus to trillion dollar worldwide efforts to moderate global emissions, which necessarily will be paid for by the only country that can and will make such expenditures.