What 4K channels does Reverse Band add that a Slimline 5 doesn't give me?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Eric Germann, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Eric Germann

Eric Germann New Member

Jan 10, 2021
    The subject says it all.

I have an SL-5 going to a SWM-16 and get 3x4K channels. Is it worth upgrading to a Reverse Band LNB and SWM-30 or are there no additional 4K channels? I have the 4K adapter and a Genie so wondering if it's worth the effort

2. codespy

codespy Go Pack Go!!!! DBSTalk Club

Mar 29, 2006
    Seasonal
    None. I have the same setup as you so I wouldn’t waste your time with the transition unless DirecTV changes their setup by adding several more 4K channels.

3. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    The latest transponder report (1/6/21) indicates there are no subscriber channels on RB band. There are four Engineering test channels on 99CR (DIRECTV 14).

4. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    NONE

5. Davenlr

Davenlr Geek til I die

Sep 16, 2006
    NONE. My installer last October said they were no longer being used and does not even carry them anymore.

6. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    There the only ones they make now. Sounds like your installer was trying to dump his old inventory first

7. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    What is the point of the RB LNBs if they're not going to use RB?

Absent allowing multiple Genies, there doesn't seem to be much point.

8. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    As pointed out multiple times they used Reverse band several times last year.... Just because it isnt used at this moment doesnt mean they dont move 50 channels to it next week...

9. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Reverse band has always been targeted for 4K, but there are still zero full time 4K channels in the US. Directv can't make networks like ESPN offer a 4K channel. Given ESPN's falling revenue and cost cutting due to cord cutting, and further losses due to sports being canceled due to the pandemic, starting up a full time 4K channel is probably not high on their priority list.

If there never are any 4K channels and Directv never uses reverse band again, it hasn't cost them much since it was part of satellites they would have needed/launched anyway. The existing reverse band LNBs served a purpose by allowing Directv to place mirrors of their 95/119 channels there during the process of moving them to Ka.

10. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    I'm guessing you've never read a safe harbor caveat. Prior results are no forecast of future performance. Remember DIRECTV's 3D initiative?

I think you give HR54 and HS17 much higher population than they actually have.

11. harsh

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    What Ka space are the channels from 95W and 119W occupying now that wasn't available prior to the transition?

12. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    103ca transponders 1-8. Those were only made available by a combination of the Spaceway retirement and T15 taking over at 103. Because T15 had to move to 101 for a while (to enable Puerto Rico to move off 110 and the Spaceway sooner) they weren't able to light up those transponders until last summer.

If you weren't just throwing spitballs from the peanut gallery but actually knew something about Directv you'd understand the complicated dance they had to perform to make everything work. If they hadn't had reverse band, they would have had to continue installing SL5 LNBs and WD dishes for a lot longer instead of simplifying on SL3 for all new customers several years ago.

codespy, compnurd and MysteryMan like this.