1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Are They Thinking?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by hasan, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Jun 6, 2013 #1 of 23
    hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    About a half hour ago, right in the middle of watching a recorded movie, our HR20-700 flashed 3 leds in a triangle and proceeded to reboot. It looks to be acquiring new software. It is now sitting at the "Acquiring Additional Software" screen ...

Obviously, this has happened to some people in the past, but really, what could they be thinking?

2. Jun 6, 2013 #2 of 23
    Drucifer

Drucifer Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    NY Hudson...
    That was icons and other graphic stuff at one time. Don't know if it still is.

3. Jun 6, 2013 #3 of 23
    jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Mine always , so far, updates at about 3 to 4 am.

4. Jun 6, 2013 #4 of 23
    CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    Thats actually not normal behavior, it usually means that there was an unrecoverable error with the dvr and it rebooted. It may mean the dvr is on its way out.

5. Jun 6, 2013 #5 of 23
    br408408

br408408 Legend

Jun 1, 2008
    2 of my 4 HR's rebooted at about the same time. Each of my 4 boxes is on ups as is the PS for the swim. One of the boxes the rebooted and one that did not are on the same ups...and yes, they are both plugged into "battery backup"

6. Jun 7, 2013 #6 of 23
    RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    The "supplemental download", which contains icons, graphics, etc, does not require a reboot.

7. Jun 7, 2013 #7 of 23
    tonyd79

tonyd79 Hall Of Fame

Jul 24, 2006
    Columbia, MD
    No, sounds like the situation the OP described was a software download, some of which have the supplemental download afterwards.

Easy enough to tell as the info screen says when the last software was loaded.

8. Jun 7, 2013 #8 of 23
    hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    Yes, indeed, it was a new software download. There is nothing wrong with the equipment. My sarcastic comment was due to it interrupting a movie we were watching with no warning, simpley flashing the 3 leds, and proceeding to reboot (and get new software). The later message was a secondary download (which I have seen on many occasions) for the additional graphics. I did interrupt that so we could get back to the movie. Of course, after the reboot, the movie would not resume at the place we had left off, it wanted to start over, so we had to FF and RW until we found the correct spot.

The point I was making was simply, "Don't do that." (D*), show some common sense, if not common courtesy. :sure:

9. Jun 7, 2013 #9 of 23
    retromzc

retromzc Legend

Sep 6, 2007
    My HR24-500 also rebooted last night at the same time. I did not receive a new software version. I'm still on version 0x6bd which downloaded on 4/30 at 5:06 am.

10. PokerJoker

PokerJoker Godfather

Apr 12, 2008
    Las Vegas
    I have an HR21 and an HR24 in the same room. Last Wednesday both rebooted at the same time, or within a few seconds of each other. I was also in the middle of watching a recorded show on one of them, although it was on Pause at the time. This was at 2:30 in the AM so I can't complain too much.

BTW the cause was the software update to 0x6d8.

One obvious difference - the HR24 reboot took about 5 minutes. The HR21 took 11. That is one slow old box.

Keith

11. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    Well, what makes the reboot slow is the auditing of what is on the HDD. Everything else, such as the hardware sanity check and finding the sats and orienting the feeds from the LNBF/Switch take about the same amount of time regardless (unless you have a single-sat setup).

IOW, what takes time is that it has to match a database record with every file it finds. This means that the length of the reboot is more timed to how many recordings there are, possibly even more related to how large and old the HDD itself is (an old HDD may have lots of recordings on it that are "deleted", but they still have to be checked against the database). If both have about the same amount of recordings, the HDD is about the same size, and both have had 400-500 hours of recordings made on them both active and deleted, then the HR24 being faster is probably explained by CPU speed, but if they don't, then it isn't.

For every uprev I have experienced, it happens at about 1:30 AM MST. And every time it nags me every 20 minutes, asking me if its OK to up rev right now. If you look away for 3 minutes or so, chances are that it will take that as a "yes", and go nuts (yes, I do a lot of TV watching at 1:30 AM). But if you are watching closely and it just rudely reboots, something is up. Also, it does not reboot then upload software, it jettisons the higher-level GUI, then uploads at a lower level, and then reboots.

12. RunnerFL

RunnerFL Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2006
    What happened to you was not something DirecTV did on purpose. As others have said the 3 LED triangle pattern is indicative of an issue the unit was having.

13. RoyGBiv

RoyGBiv Icon

Jul 24, 2007
    I have wondered if one of my two HR20 had a problem and was dying because the exact same thing happened to one of my HR20's but interestingly at nearly thes ame time it appears it happened to the original poster. According to the DVR's info the new software downloaded at 3:40 am on 6/6. Then at about 7:30 pm just as it was about to start recording Jeopardy, it suddenly rebooted. The triangle shape LEDs appeared, but then it rebooted normally and has seemed normal in every way since.

SMK

14. Citivas

Citivas Godfather

Oct 25, 2006
    Interesting. I have 2 HR22's and one HR24. All three were frozen this morning. Claimed they couldn't receive a satellite signal. One HR22 suddenly recovered on it's on and the other two needed hard red button resets. Since then both HR22's have again frozen and required a second red button reset but the HR24 is fine. I don't believe in the odds that all these DVR's are coincidentally failing at the same time. And the fact that some work when other don't suggests it isn't a signal issue. I ran tests when they were working after reboot and it passed and signal strength was excellent. I called DirecTV but they said since it worked after resets everything was fine and they said there had been no resent software downloads and none show an update since 5/7. Something's up. Perhaps a failing SWM hub?

15. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    So, we have what ...four or five people (that we know of) who experienced exactly the same reboot at the same time, and we are to gather from this that each individual's dvr had the same failure at the same time and D* did nothing to trigger this coincidental dvr failure? What a wonder! We also all got new software at the same time. We shouldn't have been watching tv, we should have been playing the lottery.

BTW the three triangle pattern could just as well have been displayed as a result of a code or command that D* sent to cause the reboot (and also the concomitant new software download )

Really, this "explanation" that it wasn't D*'s fault strains credulity. Multiple DVRs, mulitiple people, all at the same time, most receiving new software at this reboot and we are supposed to accept that D* "did nothing to initiate it" or "didn't do it on purpose"?

Amazing...and yet another classic case of blaming the victim.

16. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    If this were a issue like what occurred a few years ago when DirecTV had a brain fart and downloaded new software in mid afternoon effecting a very sizeable portion of their subscribers I could sympathize with you. But this is not the case. What you and a handful of others experienced was a minor "inconvenience". Get over it.

1 person likes this.
  17. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    Could be there was a bizarre guide data issue that Locked then up and forced a reboot.

18. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    That is a reasonable guess.

With respect to the other comment (not yours, inkahauts):

Expecting a device to perform basic functions (like finishing playing a recording) without rebooting is not an overly demanding expectation. When I stop paying for these devices, (as I have since 1995), and stop participating in the testing regime as well, I'll "get over it". Until then, D*'s feet will be held to the fire. They are responsible for the intermittant sluggishness, lack of responsiveness, spontaneous reboots and a two step forward one step back release history for their firmware. D* is not the only provider with these kinds of problems, to be sure, but they are my provider and we have every right to expect better performance from these boxes. There was a time when the boxes were stable, reliable and responsive. It has been a very long time since then (this was around 2008, as I recall).

Nothing I've seen from the reports on the more recent hardware/firmware gives me enough confidence to "cut a deal" for a 2 year contract.

I'm going to wait for the fiber to get filled with data in the front yard, make some comparisons and consider my options then. D*'s track record is well established, especially from 2007 to the present. Expecting customers to "get over" erratic, if not poor performance is outright silly. Rebooting in the middle of a playback is emblematic of the larger issue, it is not the larger issue itself. The larger issue is simple: the boxes and software are not as reliable, consistent and responsive as they were in 2008/2009 and very little progress has been made in the last several years to correct these issues. They keep coming and going, with no clear path to broadly based solutions. Lots of fancy features have been added, lots of new hardware has surfaced.. Some of it even works...for a while, at least mostly. However, the basic performance of the boxes is erratic (as I read the feedback) and the ones I work with have not consistently improved...., quite the contrary...

and I'm not going to "get over it".

We may stay, we may not. It all depends on what kinds of alternatives present themselves and the timing of same.

19. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    On 16 May I upgraded to a HR34-700. Everything worked as expected until the receiver was upgraded to 0x6BE. After the upgrade to 0x6BE TV Apps and the Active Channel became unstable. I waited 48hrs for everything to reload after the software update. The issues remained so I contacted DirecTV and reported the issues to have it on record. A week later my HR34-700 was updated to 0x6d8. Again I waited 48hrs for everything to reload after the second software update but the issues remained. I didn't waste time and start a thread on DBSTalk about my issues to site fault and blame and post my other service provider options. Instead I contacted a few DBSTalk members who are employed with DirecTV and they are helping me find a cause and solution. In the end the issues will be resolved or the receiver will be replaced. Beats the hell out of whining.

20. hasan

hasan Well-Known Member

Sep 22, 2006
    Ogden, IA
    You are completly missing the point. You will experience (eventually) the problems related to your hardware and firmware, unless or until they actually solve some of these issues rather than kick the can down the road (yet again). The new hardware seems decent for a while...then the well established pattern rears it ugly head again. This is the test of time, not the hardware/firmware flavor of the week. In the end (if there is such a thing), there are three possibilities: they fix flaws in the hardware, the fix flaws in the firmware, or you end up putting up with what many of us have observed over quite a few years. Pointing out real issues with the product is not whining, and accusing someone of whining is nothing more than an ad hominem argument, typically employed when the facts are absent in a given discussion.

I'm done trying to communicate. Good luck ...you're going to need it.