1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What could this problem be?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by SledgeHammer, Jan 15, 2011.

1. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    I had my HR20 and 5LNB sat working fine for years. Equipment or wiring hasn't been touched in 3 to 5 yrs. All working perfectly.

This morning I woke up and a lot of my HD channels are out. SD channels work fine.

Rebooted... same situation.

Checked signal strength. 101, 110 and 119 transponders are all 85 - 100.

99 and 103 are in the 20's. Thats where the HD channels come from right?

Sounds like the dish just needs to be aligned? Doesn't sound like a hardware / multi-switch / wiring issue if its just the HD channels and I'm getting a weak signal on them?

We had a solid weeks worth of rain about 3 weeks ago, so its kind of weird it stops working 3 weeks later.

2. Mcmiller519

Mcmiller519 AllStar

Oct 15, 2010
    Could be out of line, bad fitting,lnb,or switch or even b bands

3. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Thanks. Got a tech coming tommorow. I hope its just the dish alignment and I can keep him outside. I just loath having service people in my house. They always leave a path of destruction everywhere. Not just DTV guys, but trades people in general. They just want to get in and out as fast as possible and don't care about what damage they do on the way :mad:.

4. Shades228

Shades228 DaBears

Mar 18, 2008
    Maybe hell froze over and it's just ice build up.

5. Mcmiller519

Mcmiller519 AllStar

Oct 15, 2010
    They will have to come inside

6. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    That's a bit unfriendly and presumptuous.

7. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    :D Not really. Just my personal experience thats all.

electrician -> Dinged up and scraped a bunch of walls. My house is relatively new, so the builder caulked around the wall plates. The electrician couldn't even take the 2 seconds to cut the caulking. Instead he just ripped the plate off with a screw driver taking a bunch of drywall with it.

tile guy -> Dirty hand prints over all the walls, damaged concrete patio, got sealant on wood trim and damaged the finish and stained carpets in multiple spots.

mattress delivery guy -> decided to throw the old mattress down the stairs and slam it into the wall making a big dent.

landscaping guy -> ground bunch of dirt all over the patio that wouldn't come off with the hose.

patio cleaning guy -> destroyed the landscaping

So thats why I try to avoid these guys like the plauge ;).

8. Richierich

Richierich Hall Of Fame

Jan 10, 2008
    You don't post where you live but maybe cold has affected the LNB or wind moved your dish slightly out of alignment or you could have had frozen connectors that need to be replaced.

My problem was rain got into the connector and then it froze so he had to replace the connector and put a rubber boot on it to keep out moisture.

9. David MacLeod

David MacLeod New Member

Jan 29, 2008
    so you come here asking installers for advice while insulting them.
    classy....

10. ndole

ndole Problem Solver

Aug 26, 2009
    Some (most) of us are professionals that take our jobs seriously ;)

11. RobertE

RobertE New Member

Jun 9, 2006
    The "help" can usually sense the elitism in the air and act accordingly, as you have discovered.

12. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Well, to be fair, all my experiences were during the housing bubble when everybody and their mom was suddenly a home renovation expert. I've been way to turned off to do anything since :).

13. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Hmm... I had to go to dictionary.com and look up elitism to make sure I knew what it meant. The way you used it in that sentence it almost sounded like elitism meant "a person who hires somebody to do a job and expects that person to do that job professionally and not damage everything else" :D.

You know, like if I go to the mechanic, I expect to not have to repaint my car afterwards... I'm such an elitist ba$tard :D.