1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do i need to tell dish i need?

Discussion in 'General DISH™ Discussion' started by toofastgtp, Apr 16, 2013.

1. toofastgtp

toofastgtp Mentor

Nov 24, 2008
    I am looking at either staying with DIRECTV or going to DISH.
    There is no bad blood, i am just seeing what would be cheaper.

I currently have with directv:
    HR34
    3 HR24
    HR20
    Whole home + HD+DVR

Now I have 2 tvs and want to watch them sepretly
    So in honesty I want a HDDVR iin both rooms

If i stay with directv i will keep my 34 and a 24

I did call dish but that call did not go well.
    I called told them i wanted a total of 7 tuners. They told me it cant happen and no one has the ability to. I know this is BS. They told me they can only do a hopper and if a recording conflict happens i have to rely on prioritizing recordings. At this point i gave up on the call. So i tried a different route and check with the online chat. They stated i would need a hopper and a sling. Now if dish cant match that i can do with 5 tuners but i need 5 tuners that will record not just the locals. (from what i under stand the hopper only does 3 any time tuner and the other 3 are for prime time locals).

So what options do i have?

2. mitchflorida

mitchflorida Godfather

May 18, 2009
    why not get two hoppers?

3. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Or why not stay with Directv 2 Hoppers will only give you 6 tuners.

4. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    If you decide to switch to Dish, 2 Hoppers would be your best choice and would get you within 1 tuner of your 7 tuners needs.

Of course, if that would be enough for you, only you could determine.

With 7 tuners on a dual-hopper setup, at times when broadcast could be part of the picture, you could effectively have 9 tuners. And if OTA could figure into the needs, you could have 11 tuners available with 2 of the OTA modules.

As to Sling, well not needed unless you want the transfer function and be able to watch your Dish stuff anywhere. That said, get 1 Hopper w/Sling and 1 Hopper without. The HWS will be the fastest, won't cost you anything up front and the Hopper without Sling would cost less than the HWS as a 2nd Hopper. Go through a local retailer that installs for a no hassle setup.

5. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    Off-topic, but I'm vexed by why you need seven tuners. My worst case scenario is four and that isn't really an issue because half of the content plays multiple times a week.

6. Volatility

Volatility Legend

May 22, 2010
    somehow managed to reply to wrong topic. wow me

7. LtMunst

LtMunst Hall Of Fame

Aug 24, 2005
    That's not how it works. With 2 Hoppers you would get 6 tuners, only 1 of which is used to record all 4 networks. In practice, those 6 tuners could be used to record up to 9 programs at once. Get a couple of OTA adapters and you could hit 11.

8. RBA

RBA Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2013
    TEXAS
    Where do you get 9 tuners 2 Hoppers have a maximum of 6 Tuners 1 Tuner may be used for PTAT recording of the 4 major networks for a few hours of prime time, but there is still only 6 tuners. The OTA tuners can only record the channels off your TV antenna so they can't be used for ESPN or HBO but you could record all the "THIS" or "ME" or "CW" that you can stand.

9. LtMunst

LtMunst Hall Of Fame

Aug 24, 2005
    Where do you get that I said 9 tuners? I specifically said 6 tuners that could be used to record 9 programs (assuming 4 are network). With the latest firmware, that 1 tuner can record all 4 networks outside of the primetime hours btw.