What do you make of this? (Job interview)

Discussion in 'The OT' started by SledgeHammer, Oct 12, 2020.

1. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Just wondering what you guys make of this... very bizarre.

I applied for a job online on 9/26. Got an email from the recruiter on 9/28-9/29 wanting to set up a 30 min call which I thought was very fast. I legit have 100% of everything they were looking for. We scheduled the call for 10/2 afternoon. He called me right on the dot and everything went well. He told me the next step would be to schedule me for a technical round.

Got an email from him on 10/6 AM saying congrats! you have moved on to the technical round. Please visit the link below to specify your availability. I do and he confirms the time 10/6 in the afternoon. It was scheduled for 10/9 in the afternoon. So far everything is going great and they are moving fast.

On 10/8 at 8:47 PM, he emails me this:

Hello xxx,
    Our apologies for the last minute change.
    Your interviewer xxx will be OOO tomorrow and has asked if he can meet with you on Monday 10/12?

Do you have any available time on this day?

So I respond back around 9:00 PM with "Sure no problem." and provide my availability on 10/12. By Friday afternoon @ 4:00 PM I haven't heard anything back regarding the interview going off today, so I give him a call to follow up. He says he is trying to nail down the time and should know within an hour or so. Haven't heard back since and its now 10/12 9:15 AM.

Very odd that the interviewer wouldn't know he was going to be OOO until 8:00PM+. Also very odd if they changed their mind, why they wouldn't just say the position was filled instead of asking me to reschedule AND provide the interviewers name.

Now, to be fair, to add some context, they are supposedly on a major hiring spree supposedly looking to add 1000+ folks.

What do you guys think? Blow off? Worth sending a follow up email on say Wed if I haven't heard back?

2. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    They may just be overwhelmed. There are reasons for short notice absences (death in the family, medical issues) that they might have believed would be resolved by Monday.

Have you contacted them today?

3. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Nope. I responded back Thurs night via email and called the recruiter Friday @ 4pm.

4. harsh

harsh Beware the Attack Basset

Jun 14, 2003
    Salem, OR
    We're living in interesting times (a Chinese curse) so nothing is off the table in terms of unpredictable schedules.

I had a cancellation recently based on the fact that the interviewer had to get a COVID-19 test to make an airline flight. The test has to be administered and the results returned within three days of departure so you don't get a lot of options.

5. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Yup. I had to reschedule an interview at Amazon 2 or 3 hours beforehand since Cox decided to take out my internet that morning lol.

6. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    BTW: 'May you live in an interesting age.' is the alleged Chinese curse - which can be tracked back to 1936 and was modified in 1966 by Robert Kennedy 'May he live in interesting times.' There is no record of the Chinese using such a curse.

7. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    I dunno what's going on with this place lol. He finally responded around 10:30 asking for my availability this week. There were only 6 slots on his calendar and I picked 4 of them. 2 of which are tomorrow. Almost closing time and no confirmation yet. Why do I have the feeling he's going to stick me in a Friday slot again only to get an OOO at the last moment?

I still haven't heard back from Company B after an equally strange interview experience there.

Got a 2nd round with Company C Wed morning, but that company is kind of wack.

Got a new 4th company cooking as well, but I don't think I'll be able to pass the interview there. They make Amazon interviews look like a cake walk.

8. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    My radar is funky sometimes. I've had scenarios where it seems like I'm being blown off... and I start treating it that way only to find out that was not the case but then they didn't like how I responded... although, if I was hired there and I was as wishy-washy and non-responsive, I suspect they wouldn't like that treatment either... so I kind of figure it's a bullet dodged in those cases.

Meanwhile, in other scenarios I've decided that I should only pursue to a point. I can still be available and cordial but I don't keep badgering for a response and I try not to take it personally. Some people are just flaky or non-responsive... a lot of hurry up and wait I find, where they will be panicky "gotta do this TODAY" stuff then will go radio silent for weeks... then will be just as hyper for a day or two. Sometimes patience pays off, but I admit that is hard to do for me. I don't need ASAP responses... just reasonable ones... and if someone doesn't have time right now, it helps me tremendously to know that is the case. I've had people suddenly ghost me for months on phone calls and emails... and then they pop back up as if the time had never lapsed and it leaves me all confused.

SledgeHammer likes this.
  9. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    I had one company where I applied and heard back after 1 month. Via email to schedule a phone interview that I thought was a first round HR screen and it turned out to be a tech screen. I got the impression that I flunked it, so I didn't follow up on anything. About a month later they contacted me for a second round with the hiring manager who I though I hit it off with. A few days later I finally hear from the HR guy that I just have to meet with the big boss to seal the deal and then I'd get an offer. I meet with the big boss and a few days later get the blow off. Not sure what happened there. 3 - 4 months and I got bounced the last round.

I've kind of come to the conclusion that there's never any point in following up with a company. They aren't going to do anything different if you follow up. If they want you, they know how to reach you.

So I'm just continuing to apply at places and continuing to interview until I get an offer.

10. Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon Roving Reporter Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 7, 2005
    Kittrell, NC
    Yeah, that is where I ultimately landed. IF I really want a job I have to make that pitch in my initial conversation or my cover letter... and then I just have to ignore the process unless and until they get back with me. Chasing the job never works. It probably doesn't hurt you, but it seems like it doesn't help.

11. billsharpe

billsharpe Hall Of Fame

Jan 25, 2007
    Southern...
    When I was out of work in 1972 I had a local interview and the company said they would let me know. I got an offer for what turned out to be a much better job the following week, so I called the original company and asked how the review was proceeding. They said they couldn't tell me yet. So I took the other job and never regretted it. The first company finally called back with an offer but it was too late and too low in salary. I took early retirement from that job in 1989. Retirement has been my longest occupation, if you don't count my part-time writing job for a hobby magazine for 37 years. That's still ongoing.