What do you think of this TV? Sony A9G 55Inch OLED

Discussion in 'High Definition Displays' started by direcdt, May 14, 2020.

1. direcdt

direcdt AllStar

Aug 15, 2012
    Hoping to get some thoughts and or direction.
    Bought a SonyA9G 55 Inch for Mothers Day and took down the 47Inch LG 47LM6200 thinking I was upgrading.
    I also have an HD Direct TV Receiver H24-100 on feeding the TV not a 4k Receiver.
    The problem is this I thought I was upgrading unfortunately the LG seems to be 10x clearer and defined. The Sony is a beautiful TV however the picture when watching regular old Direct TV is blurry at best. I do not want to get this professionally calibrated I just spent 2400 on it and that seems like it shouldn't be necessary right out of the box.
    My Concerns:
    - Do I need to upgrade to a 4k receiver? I thought this didn't really matter
    - What settings should I be focusing on if we are only going to be watching television?
    - It is obviously a nice TV but I cant get over how the LG with is several years old picture is just clear and crisp. What do I need to fix on the Sony to mimic this picture quality?
    Or should I cut my losses and return it?
    The room is a well lite with access to sunshine. The person watching is elderly and needs a clear , defined picture quality and suggestions or point in the right direction would help.
    Thank you,

2. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    If you have 4k with HDR,
    make sure HDR is turned off ! The screen looks dull and muddy with it on and the program being fed to it is not HDR.
    Go to You Tube and find a 4k HDR video clip and see how that looks with HDR ON.
    If the pic is 4k and does not have HDR then it should also be off in the situation.

direcdt likes this.
  3. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    With Sony TVs HDR automatically turns on when HDR content is played. It stays off when no HDR content is played and goes back to SDR mode.

direcdt likes this.
  4. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    The Sony XBR-55A9G is a excellent TV. Need more info on your setup. Is your Sony XBR-55A9G connected to a AVR or are you going directly from your H24-100 to your XBR-55A9G? What HDMI inputs are you using on your Sony XBR-55A9G?. How old are the HDMI cables? Have you tried changing the HDMI cables?

direcdt likes this.
  5. compnurd

compnurd Hall Of Fame

Apr 23, 2007
    Evans City PA
    MysteryMan likes this.
  6. direcdt

direcdt AllStar

Aug 15, 2012
    No AVR..

Directly from my H24-100 to myXBR-55A9G.

I am using the HDMI inputs from the back, 2,3,4. HDMI cables are about 4/5 years old, switched them around with 1 more HDMI cable i had around with no help. My next plan will be ordering a new HDMI cable?

7. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    I have a few questions. Is your XBR-55A9G connected to the internet? If so new software (v6.3626) was released on 14 May 20. Sony TVs come with many Picture Mode settings. Do you experience the issue on all of them or certain ones? When you set up your XBR-55A9G did you change the settings or did you stay with the factory mode settings? If you changed the settings what Picture Mode did you change them on? If you changed the settings did you lock them after making the changes?

8. direcdt

direcdt AllStar

Aug 15, 2012
    Update......

The TV is not connected to the internet however I did run a wire to it this morning and updated the software which after the update reads: v6.3590/v6.3598 However it did not make a difference and I can not find the one you referenced yet.

I am noticing that various pictures are starting to look super crystal clear and then all of a sudden revert back to blurred and muddy almost 420. So I ordered several new 4K HDMI cables for delivery for Monday, maybe that helps. Almost seems as if a wire may be loose.

When setting up the TV i did not originally change any settings however eventually started playing with it. ( Probably not a good idea )

Currently on: Standard Picture

Direct Tv: SL5 LNB
    Switch: SWM LNB

Not sure what else to do after switching the wires. These are several years old so I am hoping it helps.

9. MysteryMan

May 17, 2010
    USA
    You need to identify the cause of your issue. From what you are describing it has to be one of four things, TV has a defective video processor, TV has a defective HDMI receptacle, TV needs a setting correction or bad HDMI cables. As for the update I mentioned Sony, like DIRECTV staggers software updates. Check daily for the update I mentioned. You should see it in the next ten days. Sony TVs have the following Picture Modes, Vivid...Standard...Custom... Cinema Pro...Cinema Home...Sports...Animation...Photo-Vivid...Photo-Standard...Photo-Custom...Game and Graphics. It is suggested to use Custom Mode to make your personal settings adjustments and lock your settings after making them. Also, check these two settings to see if they correct your issue, Auto Picture Mode: On/Off...HDMI Signal Format: Enhance 4K HDMI Signal Format or Standard Format. As for HDMI cables only buy cables that have this seal because they meet today's signal requirements. The Premium HDMI Cable Certification Program Label.png Another thing you should do is to leave the TV connected to the internet. Using the TV's remote select Apps. When the window appears select HELP. This will bring up a host of troubleshooting and help options. Also use the Bravia Tutorials App. You can also contact Sony for technical support at 1-800-222-7669 or use their website at www.sony.com/tvsupport.

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  10. jimmie57

jimmie57 Hall Of Fame

Jun 26, 2010
    Texas City, TX
    Most TVs have a "reset picture" or similar wording, feature on the same screen where you adjust it. They know people are going to screw them up. Just choose that option on the screen and it will go back to the way it came out of the box as far as the adjustments to the picture.