DBSTalk Forum banner

What does No ATSC mean?

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  sbl 
#1 ·
What does it exactly mean pertaining to the Thr22?

#7 ·
harsh said:
Not only is the AM21 compatible with the THR22, but it will scan for OTA channels; a software feature not shared by any other HR2x model.
Harsh is spot on, I have had an AM21 on my THR22 forever, and enjoy the scanning as I can pick up three markets where I live.

The blue power light on the AM21 does not shut-off when in standby, similar to the HR34, otherwise everything works fine.

#8 ·
LI-SVT said:
It does'nt have a built in OTA tuner.
So, does my friend's old Hr-10 have ATSC? We don't see any AM-21 attached to it, but there are two (2) dishes on the roof.
There is one oval with 3 Lnb's and one old round dish with one of those antennas attached. Can anyone break down what is actually going on on the roof? Thanks

#9 ·
talktalktalk said:
. Can anyone break down what is actually going on on the roof? Thanks
It depends on your location and how isolated you are from the transmitting towers. Folks in NYC can get easily get by with "rabbit ears" while folks in the suburbs we'll need a Yogi style antenna. Check out these websites more info

www.antennaweb.org
www.tvfool.com

#10 ·
peds48 said:
It depends on your location and how isolated you are from the transmitting towers. Folks in NYC can get easily get by with "rabbit ears" while folks in the suburbs we'll need a Yogi style antenna. Check out these websites more info

www.antennaweb.org
www.tvfool.com
..........in addition, your friend's old HR10-250 does have built in OTA, two tuners in fact. Whether or not he has anything connected to that coax input is another story, but the option is there.

#12 ·
You get locals in SD, but any HD locals will have a "-1" suffix after the respective local channel number and can only be obtained from an external antenna connected to the HR10 at your location. DirecTV does not supply them to your HR10 (if it's anything like my local channels where my DMA is).

The AM-21 is not compatible with the HR10-250, only the HR2x series receivers, in which the latter is able to pick up HD Locals on their own without the use of an OTA antenna.

Hope this helps.

#13 ·
codespy said:
You get locals in SD, but any HD locals will have a "-1" suffix after the respective local channel number and can only be obtained from an external antenna connected to the HR10 at your location. DirecTV does not supply them to your HR10 (if it's anything like my local channels where my DMA is).

The AM-21 is not compatible with the HR10-250, only the HR2x series receivers, in which the latter is able to pick up HD Locals on their own without the use of an OTA antenna.

Hope this helps.
He has all of his coaxial connections on the back of his HR-10 hooked up. Could the round dish with the antenna on it be where the lines are going to?
BTW is this one of the mpeg-2 tivo's?

#14 ·
talktalktalk said:
BTW is this one of the mpeg-2 tivo's?
Yes, the HR10 is indeed an MPEG 2 DVR

#15 ·
talktalktalk said:
He has all of his coaxial connections on the back of his HR-10 hooked up. Could the round dish with the antenna on it be where the lines are going to?.....................
It definitely may or may not be. I have not seen his setup. :)

#16 ·
So, the installer came out a couple of weeks ago and put the genie and client downstairs but left the tivo untouched but we lost all of the -1 HD local channels. Can anyone tell me why this has happened?
I know he said it was not compatible with the new system, but why couldn't he have just left the coax from the antenna connected so I could keep those channels? BTW after his installation upgrade he left behind the original switches and splitters. I even see one of the disconnected coax cables in the junction box.

#17 ·
This is the HR10? If you have a Genie, you would have been changed to a SWM system, but if you are keeping the HR10 it would need the SWM8 module and not the dish with the built-in SWM. The module has "Legacy" outputs for the HR10. But it sounds as if the installer disconnected your antenna, which was unfortunate. You can try calling them back to fix it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.