1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What does the "IAMANEDGECUTTER Report" include?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV - R22 Discussion (private)' started by xmguy, Jun 4, 2008.

1. Jun 4, 2008 #1 of 15
    xmguy

xmguy Active Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Middle, TN
    I just wondered what info is sent to DirecTV in the Report via the EDGECUTTER menu? Does anyone know?

2. Jun 4, 2008 #2 of 15
    dodge boy

dodge boy R.I.P. Chris Henry

Mar 31, 2006
    After you enter it (IAMANEDGECUTTER) in a ketword search you press info and menu on the front of the receiver at the same time and it gives you a custom menu. But it doesn't work on any of teh receivers in you signature.

3. Jun 4, 2008 #3 of 15
    gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet Tips & Resources Collaboration

Mar 7, 2007

yes this is how you turn it on, but i don't believe this is what the OP was asking about.

as for me knowing? not sure, but as a guess to help the OP. maybe disk space, temp readings, signal strengths, software version, reboots would be what first that comes to mind of what they may consist of.

4. Jun 5, 2008 #4 of 15
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I think in the notes for the CE release it lists what is being sent to DirecTV.

Edit: Nevermind...

- Merg

5. Jun 5, 2008 #5 of 15
    xmguy

xmguy Active Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Middle, TN
    Strange. I wish it listed the info being sent.

6. Jun 5, 2008 #6 of 15
    Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Generally speaking, the report includes basic information about the operating system status and information about key processes, as I understand things. It does not contain any information that ties the machine to you or your account.

Cheers,
    Tom

7. Jun 5, 2008 #7 of 15
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    I know that a report has been generated and sent over network lines when you do a menu reset, and I would suspect this has much the same information.

8. Jun 6, 2008 #8 of 15
    xmguy

xmguy Active Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Middle, TN
    Hmm. Thanks.

9. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Interesting that they never told us that... Sounds a little bit like Big Brother.... Hmmm.... At least Microsoft asks you if you want to send the information off...

- Merg

10. xmguy

xmguy Active Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Middle, TN
    I have data collection blocked on my online account. Not sure if this blocks the menu reset or not. I usually use the RRB.

11. mhayes70

mhayes70 New Member

Mar 21, 2006
    The way I look at it, is that there is a reason we had to do a reset. There was a problem. So, the receiver is sending data about the problem automatically to them when I do the reset. I have no problem with that. It is not sending any private data.

12. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    In the future you can block data collection as you see fit. In the meantime I would sincerely appreciate if you keep to the spirit of the field test and allow as much data collection as possible.

13. LameLefty

LameLefty I used to be a rocket scientist

Sep 28, 2006
    Middle...
    Especially since any glitches in playback, recording, etc. may well be traceable to particular "bad" signals streamed from networks which could have bad/obsolete/out-of-date encoders or transmission equipment . . . the more data Directv has to analyze, the better chance they have of isolating problems to either our hardware or something else. And that's better for everyone, I would think.

14. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    It seems to depend on the CE and how DirecTV is updating their equipment.

When I first got the R22-100, it loved PHONING in (I don't have a broadband network connection to it) almost every day. And my R15-300's liked phoning in within hours when I'd make a bunch of changes to their TO DO list. I also have "block viewing data" on my account.

Now recently, all 3 DVR's have not been calling in at all. The last dialout from the R22 was on 5/29 at 3:23AM. I can usually tell if it's the R22 dialing out because after it does, the history log gets smaller! (presumably it sends a copy to DirecTV)

The monthly dialouts on all 3 receivers are obvious and occur on the 17th of the month on my account. They dial a DIFFERENT phone number and always at the exact same time each month.

15. xmguy

xmguy Active Member

Mar 26, 2008
    Middle, TN
    Same here. My R15's loved to dial out. All hours of the night and day. Got so bad I disconnected my phone line. Till I called DirecTV. I really don't care if D* knows what I'm watching. I just got tired of the damn things dialing out.