What DTV Satellite do I have?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by Muka1, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Muka1

Muka1 New Member

Oct 17, 2019
    Hello, first time poster here.
    I recently got a new roof on my home so the contractor had to remove the dish and install them back on. After they did, I am not getting any signal. Everything used to work perfect prior to the new roof installation. I would like to reset the dish but I am not sure which satellite configuration is for which one of the dish. I have 2 dish on the roof. One of them has a dual LNB and the other single. When I go to set up on the HD Receiver/DVR, I see a bunch of satellite settings. 99, 101 and 103. I understand I need to set the receiver to 101 and then manipulate the dish till get signal. My question is which one of the dish has the 101 satellite, 103 satellite and the 99 satellite so I can set the receiver to a particular satellite and then go on the roof and manipulate the matching dish. Please see the attachment for the 2 dishes I have.
    PS: Both dishes are connected to an 8 connection switch and then to the receiver/DVR in the house. Dish on Roof.jpg

2. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Well the dish on the left (looking down at the photo) is called a "Slimline-3" legacy and is the main one for receiving programming from the 99°, 101°, and 103° W.L. satellites.

And the one to the right is for the international "World Direct" service from 95° W.L. Which is going away in maybe a year from now or so.

So first, perhaps the bad news ...

Unless you have the Protection Plan you're going to have to pay $99.00 to have a DIRECTV tech. come out and properly re-align the main dish on the left.

But the good news is that the 95° W.L. int'l dish on the right is no longer necessary and may be removed as the programming for it is mirrored on the new Reverse Band at 99° W.L. Nor do you need the SWiM-8 multiswitch any longer.

All the tech. needs to do is install a SL-3 Reverse Band SWiM LNB on the main dish such as here:

Now is the time to upgrade to the Reverse Band LNB - The Solid Signal Blog

And place a SWiM splitter where the multiswitch currently is.

So you'll only need the one dish on the roof on the left with one coax run from it.

A much cleaner installation ...

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

jimmie57 likes this.
  3. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    And boy, looking at the dishes in that photo one can instantly see the roofers obviously had no clue whatsoever they were doing ...

As both dishes are clearly pointing in the same direction and each have level tilt settings.

Totally wrong ....

4. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Too bad you didn't ask before so you wouldn't have had the second dish reinstalled on your new roof.

The consensus is not to remove the base to the second dish should you eliminate that dish. Totally removing it could allow water leaks. But an alternative is to leave the base/pole in place and mount an OTA antenna there for a backup to your local channels.

BTW -- welcome to DBS Talk!

5. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    Some international channels (korean I think) have not been mirrored and 2nd ODU is still required.

6. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Are you sure about that?

As the "datadigesters" team on edgecutter has reported everything on 95W mirrored over to 99(cr) in A3 format for months now. And even got reports that the techs were no longer installing the WD dish.

Just searched the latest TPN map release and everything on 95W shows as duplicated on 99(cr) ...

Can you recall any of those possibly "Korean" channels that are still only on 95W?

As the TPN maps show nothing ....

compnurd likes this.
  7. west99999

west99999 Icon

May 11, 2007
    I haven't personally installed any international in a year or more but colleagues have reported "some" channels (korean) I thought to not work on RB3 LNB. This was a month or two ago we discussed so possible they are now.

8. P Smith

P Smith Mr. FixAnything

Jul 25, 2002
    W.Mdtrn Sea
    Do you mean they are on 99RB now ?

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  9. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    They might have missed a couple channels when they first mirrored them, or maybe someone had a bad LNB that was missing evens or odds in 99cr so they only got half the channels and believed some were missing.

Directv has been mirroring everything on both 95 & 119 for a while now, as HoTat2 said.

10. longhorn23

longhorn23 Member

Jan 19, 2019
    How do I know if I have a reverse band LNB? Is there a way to see in my settings? Could someone guide me in what to look for? Thanks for the help.

11. Athlon646464

Athlon646464 Yada Yada Yada DBSTalk Gold Club

Feb 23, 2007
    Uxbridge, MA
    longhorn23 likes this.
  12. WestDC

WestDC Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2008
    using the remote -menu setting- info& test --Scrolldown to SAT setup and that infor is displayed

P Smith and longhorn23 like this.
  13. longhorn23

longhorn23 Member

Jan 19, 2019
    I posted what it says in my settings. Does this look like I have the newest and best dish available with reverse band LNB? Thanks again for the help.

Attached Files:

14. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    Yep, that's it ...

You have the latest ....

A Slimline-3 Reverse Band capable LNB or specifically a model "3D2RBLNBR0-01" if IIRC for mfr. WNC.

15. longhorn23

longhorn23 Member

Jan 19, 2019
    Okay great. Thanks for replying and for all the help yall!

WestDC likes this.