What else is needed?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by LakersFan, Jun 1, 2020.

1. LakersFan

LakersFan Cool Member

Feb 11, 2008
    I recently moved and after calling directv to have them set me up in my new home, I found out I’ll need to recommit (thus my current discounts will expire and I’ll be stuck at full price). I’ve set up directv in my RV a long time ago and feel confident in getting it up and running. The question I have is which multisplitter do I need? I have a single line coming out of the existing dish that’s on the roof, green SWM. Doesn’t look too old. I do have the SWM green 12V AC adapter as well. I’d like the ability to go up to 6 receivers.

Is there anything else besides the splitter that you can think of? Thank you!

edit - receiver is an HR54...

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
  2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    What are all your receivers you will be using. Do all the other coax in the house go to one central
    Location? If so an 8 way green label splitter will be the only splitter you will need... but need more details to be sure.

3. LakersFan

LakersFan Cool Member

Feb 11, 2008
    I have an HR54, 2 HR24’s and 1 C41. And yes, all coax goes to one central location. I did some reading and I think I will be doing option 2 of Solid Signals White Paper (pg 15). Sound okay?

4. doctor j

doctor j Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jun 14, 2006
    Birmingham, Al.
    You need to know what your LNB is.
    You have 9 tuners now so an older SWM LNB will run out at 8.

A newer SWM_RB LNB will give you at least 13 (if not more) so 2 additional HR24's could be added without issue

Doctor j

5. LakersFan

LakersFan Cool Member

Feb 11, 2008
    I have the gen-3 version of the SLIMLINE-3 LNB.

6. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    If it’s not the RBLNB then you need to get it.

And you will need just one 4 way green label splitter.

And do use a separate power inserted for the dish and not the built in one from the hr54.

7. LakersFan

LakersFan Cool Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Thanks Inkahauts. I’ve been busy on other projects, but I’ll take your advise and get that stuff. Appreciate the help.

Go Lakers!

8. DirectMan

DirectMan AllStar

Jul 14, 2007
    You may need to notify ATT about your new billing address at least to prevent any mail going to your old address. It is not a lot of mail they send perhaps one or two letters a year. I don't know if changing the billing address will create problems in the ATT system as compared with changing the service address.

Update: I just checked my account on the ATT billing system and it looks pretty easy to change the billing address online. Changing service address is another story. It says please call.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    krel and LakersFan like this.