1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What equipment do I need when new sattelite goes live?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by hshendon, Apr 28, 2010.

Tags:
  1. hshendon

hshendon New Member

Mar 23, 2007
    I recently had a tech visit me and adjust / reseat my dish as high winds had caused it to move slightly and degrade reception.

When he was visiting, he commented on my equipment and joked a bit about how old it was. He said I would need a new dish when the new sattelite went live in order to get everything I could out of it. He also said my receiver was pretty old and I should look into an upgrade there, too.

So, was he right? What equipment - both dish and reciever - is required when the new sattelite goes live? I will look up my model information when I get home and reply to this thread for a better assessment, but getting the requirements should be a good start.

My dish is not one of the new ones. It is an oval dish that I got some time ago with an extra lnb extender to make it work with HD.

Thanks in advance!

2. Sixto

Sixto Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2005
    If you can get the current HD, you can get the HD from D12.

Need H2x or HR2x receiver.

3. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    If you told us what equipment you have now we could tell you if you need anything new. As long as you can receive all the HD channels offered today, you'll be able to get all the HD channels when the new sat lights up, its being parked at one of the existing locations(99)

4. evan_s

evan_s Hall Of Fame

Mar 3, 2008
    D12 is going to 103 not 99 but yes. If you can receive the current HD channels you will be able to receive the new ones from D12. One of the 2 channels fired up today seems to be on 110/119 which you might not be able to access but it is Spanish and you would have the correct dish to access it if you have the Spanish package.

5. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
  6. lothario

lothario New Member

May 10, 2008
    I'd like to know as well what model dish is the best out there right now. Plan for H24 boxes.

7. litzdog911

litzdog911 Well-Known Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Mill Creek, WA
    No real choices ... either SlimLine 3-LNB or SlimLine 5-LNB, depending on if you need the 119ºW satellite for your local SD channels, or want the Spanish Package.

8. hshendon

hshendon New Member

Mar 23, 2007
    Grentz, yes, my dish looks exactly like that!

9. hshendon

hshendon New Member

Mar 23, 2007
    What are h24 boxes?

Sorry if I am being such a noob here, folks. I used to surf here frequently, but have gotten out of the habit and have fallen behind on all the latest info on hardware and software.

10. carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    The latest models in the series of HD products from DirecTV are the H24 and HR24. "H24 boxes" refers to those (as opposed to earlier models, H21, H23, HR20, HR21, HR22, HR23). However all will work with programming from the new satellite.

If you have a receiver that is not among the models I noted above, then you will probably need to upgrade.

11. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    That is the AT-9 (sidecar) dish which was used before the Slimline came out. It will work with D12.

12. Grentz

Grentz New Member

Jan 10, 2007
    Then you will have no trouble as bob said.

The AT-9 Sidecar sees all the same satellites as the current slimline 5, it is just a slightly different design.

13. lothario

lothario New Member

May 10, 2008
    Thanks for reply.
    I dont want SD locals.. :) only HD..
    What about this one form solidsignal?
    Model: AU9-SL5-SWM-B-PWS
    It costs extra because it has a switch built in?

14. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Yes, but the difference in cost is less than if you added an external SWM8. That (or the 3 LNB version with SWM, which is slightly cheaper) will probably be the standard installation very soon, as a SWM is necessary for DECA networking.