1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What exactly is needed for Multi Room Viewing?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by ITGuruJeff, Jun 10, 2010.

1. ITGuruJeff

ITGuruJeff New Member

Aug 3, 2008
    I have 3 DirecTV DVRs HR 21, HR 23 and the new HR 24 with built-in DECA. I have an SWM 4X8 multi-switch so I have 8 inputs I can use. Some of those inputs have 2 dedicated ones going to the HR DVR receivers for duel-tuning.

The questions I have which I can't not get answered are:

1. Do I need DECA adapters for the others or is it even necessary since ALL of mine are connected via CAT6 Ethernet? I was told that many people don't have hard wired connections to every receiver they own so that is why they came up with DECA over coax cable. HOWEVER, if ALL of your equipment is connected via Ethernet, then you don't need DECA at all. Is that correct? I can't imagine why I would have to pay for those silly DECA connectors if ALL my equipment is already networked.

2. If for some reason DECA is required, maybe for copyright issues or something, is it required for my other two receivers without DECA? I thought all you needed was one like the HR 24 and it handled anything connected to Ethernet.

3. If DECA is required do I need one for EACH tuner if I am running duel-tuners on each DVR receiver?

Thanks for any input, totally lost on this whole thing. I simply don't understand why it's not like DISH or Tivo and all of it is simply done over Ethernet PERIOD.

2. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    SWM 4X8? Do you mean a SWM-8, which will feed 8 tuners (but doesn't have 8 outputs?) SWM only requires one cable per DVR (which feeds both tuners). It sounds like you might have a non-SWM WB68 multiswitch.

Basically, yes. Ethernet will work fine, but isn't supported by Directv (meaning that you are on your own for any issues). You will still be subject to the $3/month whole home DVR fee.

Not required, but only the H24 and HR24 have DECA built-in. If you use DECA for networking any other receivers require the DECA adapter, as does the connection to your router.

Since DECA requiires a SWM, only one input to the DVR will feed both tuners. The DECA adapter splits off the DECA network signal and converts it to ethernet (which is connected to the RJ45 jack on the receiver).

DECA was developed so networking could be established over the same cabling as is used for the satellite signal, eliminating the need to run CAT5/6 cables. It also provides a physical environment which Directv installers can service. If you already have ethernet wiring, their may be some QOS benefits with MoCA/DECA, but the difference may not be noticeable.

:welcome_s to DBSTalk!

3. ITGuruJeff

ITGuruJeff New Member

Aug 3, 2008
    Thanks for the reply.

Actually, I was mistaken and had to check my switch. It is a Zinwell 4X8 multi-switch where there are 4 lines coming from my outside dish to the switch inside where it then splits the signal into 8 different feeds. Those are then each going to my different HR 21, 23 and 24 receivers, 2 feeds into each unit except for one where I only wanted single channel and not duel channel viewing.

Since it is NOT a single wire feed, will multi-room viewing still work? I have everything working right now with those HR 21, 23 and 24 DVR receivers, with the duel tuners just fine. They just don't have networking enabled and I am still confused on what I need if anything to do it. I don't want to have to install another dish or do any sort of single wire deal since all my cables are nicely in place and everything works fine now, just not networked.

Thanks.

4. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    In order for your HRs to get HD that switch must be a Zinwell WB68. You do have a Slimline dish right?

Anyway, with the addition of another HR you're going to 10 tuners so you'll need to have a SWM16 connected to the dish's 4 outputs. Then DECA will work just fine.

5. ITGuruJeff

ITGuruJeff New Member

Aug 3, 2008
    No, I am NOT adding another HR DVR, I just have the 3 plus 2 standard def models. The dish I have is the 5LNB dish and I get both HD and SD channels on my HR 21, 23 and 24 DVR units. Each of the HD DVR units has both tuners enabled with 2 individual cables going to the back of each unit's tuner.

I don't want to have to replace my multi switch because I am not sure how all the wiring would work then. Everything is the way I want it except for the multi room viewing if that is possible without going into a bunch of expense and re-doing my setup.

That is why I said in my first post I don't know why it has to be anywhere close to this complicated. You should be able to just network them over CAT 5e/6 and be done with it. The Dish and Tivo units work like that and it is very simple with no added parts or work.

6. Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson 6EQUJ5 WOW! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Jan 24, 2007
    If you're going to continue the way you are, you'll need a hardwired Ethernet network for your MRV. Wireless and Powerline adapters can work but they are hit and miss.

The other option is SWiM16 and DECA adapters.

Have you called DirecTV and asked what they have or upgrade options? They’ll likely install everything for you even if you have ten tuners. I’m not sure what the exact cost would be but IIRC, it at $149 or less.

Mike

7. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    You can do it with the Ethernet wiring. I have it on eight HRs at the moment, but I have two 6x16 Zinwells, one on each dish. I have had as many as 10 HRs on my Ethernet system without a problem. And if the installer doesn't get out here soon, I'm gonna stick with my Ethernet setup.

Rich

8. ITGuruJeff

ITGuruJeff New Member

Aug 3, 2008
    Thanks, if you see my post above you will note that ALL of my HR DVR receivers are connected via CAT 6 so everything already is hard wired.

I don't want anything to do with DirecTV installers if I can help it. They are very poor and I have REALLY expensive equipment and tons of custom wiring, networking, etc. that I won't let anyone near. Only I know how it was done and where everything goes. All they know how to do is rip stuff apart and do it their way. Nothing comes close to as complex of setup as what I have unless you are an actual IT guy it would not make any sense.

This is why I do ALL installing myself, including buying my own dish, running my own wires, etc. I just don't have any technical facts on this multi room viewing and what precisely is needed or can be used. I will do it all myself, but even the DirecTV 800 number is little help because they are not trained well enough to answer the technical questions like this.

9. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
    I was just listing your options. I didn't think about a procedure to get it activated. Sorry. :)

With your current setup all you have to do is call DirecTV and activate unsupported Whole Home DVR Service. Unsupported because DirecTV won’t provide tech support for a system they didn’t install but they should activate it for you.

Then you go to Info & Test menu and turn on MRV and setup up you preferences (I’m assuming you are already connected to network/internet other wise you’ll have to do that first).

After that you should be good to go.

Mike

10. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    If all your receivers are already on ethernet, all you have to do is call DirecTV and tell them to turn on MRV and you're done. 5 minutes tops, and your installation cost is $0. They'll tell you it costs $3 a month and is not supported. But it will work perfectly well. Just make a phone call, and within 5 minutes you'll have MRV. What exactly is holding you back?

11. Starz26

Starz26 New Member

May 18, 2008
    You will also need to make sure you forward the appropriate ports on your router to each dvr. There is a setting in the setup of the dvr for the STB ports. Take the value entered there for sTB TCP and STBAudio (UDP) and forward to the IP of the DVR. Repeat for each dvr using a different port.

I am using STB 2177 for one dvr and 2179 for the other. STBAudio is 2178 and 2180 respectivly.

Once you forward the ports and turn on network services in the dvr you should be set. If you can access DTV on demand then you know you are connected properly and can then call DTV to set up while home dvr..

12. Mike Bertelson

Jan 24, 2007
  13. mdavej

mdavej Hall Of Fame

Jan 30, 2007
    Hmmm... I don't have any port forwarding, and everything works fine. I don't see what that has to do with MRV anyway. That's all about routing from the internet to/from specific boxes and has nothing to do with local network traffic.

And I don't think the procedure in that thread is necessary anymore. I think a lot of CSRs know about the MRV beta now and can activate MRV with no problems. Just call and try it. If you run into issues, you can go back and try the email route. I've activated ethernet MRV over the phone a couple of times now with no issues. Just play dumb, "Umm... I was in the MRV beta and now it doesn't work anymore. Can you turn it back on"? "Why certainly sir. You do realize it's not supported on your home network and that it costs $3/month." ...

14. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    Port forwarding is only used for "network services" and that feature is not in use at this time. In most cases, uPnP would handle it anyway. The receivers and computers on a network can already see each other if they are on the same subnet.