What happens if I buy a receiver from Amazon?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by kram, Feb 8, 2010.

1. Feb 8, 2010 #1 of 44
    kram

kram Godfather

Sep 3, 2006
    I can get a new HR23 from Amazon for $182. The aren't any details listed about lease vs. own or how DTV will handle this upon activation. Has anyone purchased from a vendor other than one that has a distribution deal with DTV (e.g., Best Buy)?

Update: Never mind. I read some of the customer reviews and it is, indeed, considered to be a leased box.

2. Feb 8, 2010 #2 of 44
    Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    If it's legally acquired then you should be able to activate it with no problems, and it will be a lease just like if you got it through DIRECTV.

3. Feb 8, 2010 #3 of 44
    carl6

carl6 Moderator Staff Member DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    However, you will be responsible for installation. If you have DirecTV come out to do the installation, you can expect to have to pay for that.

4. Feb 8, 2010 #4 of 44
    TBlazer07

TBlazer07 Large Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Florida
    $179 from Newegg. $3 is $3. :)

5. Feb 8, 2010 #5 of 44
    slimoli

slimoli Hall Of Fame

Jan 27, 2005
    HR22-100 for 167.00 at my local Costco.

6. Feb 9, 2010 #6 of 44
    slopokdave

slopokdave Cool Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Are they renewing your contract when you activate them?

7. Feb 9, 2010 #7 of 44
    dyker

dyker Legend

Feb 27, 2008
    Yes, 2 years activation. Personally... I will never be under lease with D* again. I would buy a Pro knowing (hoping) at least I'd get some resale out of it.

8. Feb 9, 2010 #8 of 44
    BattleZone

BattleZone Hall Of Fame

Nov 13, 2007
    Activating any leased box on a new connect or upgrade results in your contract being reset to 24 months.

9. Feb 9, 2010 #9 of 44
    vicmeldrew

vicmeldrew AllStar

Aug 22, 2007
    i got mine from newegg and i did not have to pay to have it installed; directv treated it like one the installer brought. Newegg = good with 2 day delivery (free in my case)

10. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    That is not normal so not everyone should expect that. installers arent supposed to install extra equipment not on the work order because 1. they do not get paid for it, and 2. Sometimes adding on extras that you have that were not on the work order, would require a change in the equipment the tech would need to make everything work AND he doesnt get paid for that either, equipment or labor, AND the correct setup might not get flagged on your acct with D*, like SWiM or something else. The procedure is if the tech arrives and what you want done is different than what is on the WO, he is supposed to call in and have the WO changed. That way D*'s bookkeeping can stay accurate and the tech gets paid properly for his work.

11. Raider25

Raider25 New Member

Feb 9, 2010
    When I signed up 1 month ago I needed 8 receivers so Direct brought 5 including a HR22 DVR and then I needed to buy 3 more, 1 HR23 and 2 H23. The installer installed it with no problem. I saved a little on the receivers and no tax but still treated as leased and a 5.00 monthly charge for each receiver. I had no problem with this because I knew going in the terms and charges.

12. Sartori

Sartori Legend

Nov 15, 2008
    Actually thats not true, in my case anyway. I bought two hr21 pro's from weakness, had them all ready to go. I also had all the cable ran. He mounted the dish and connected up both receivers and off he went....no charge:)

13. slopokdave

slopokdave Cool Member

Feb 5, 2010
    I spoke to 6ave yesterday and they said their receivers will require no contract extension to activate, "We aren't like Best Buy, etc." They said this applies to the Pro (of course) and their other models like the HR23 HD DVR running at $181.

???

14. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    They lied to you....The only new boxes from a retailer that would not require a commitment extension are the pro's.

15. slopokdave

slopokdave Cool Member

Feb 5, 2010
    I find that hard to believe, but also not impossible... :\ Hmm, guess I will pass for now then.

16. CJTE

CJTE Hall Of Fame

Sep 17, 2007
    That they lied to you? Or that buying a receiver from a retailer requires a new 2yr commitment?

Unless 6ave is charging around $300+ for the HR23, when you activate it, it's going to be leased.
    And even if they were charging that much, you'd have to give DirecTV Proof of Purchase that it is leased not owned.

17. CCarncross

CCarncross Hall Of Fame

Jul 19, 2005
    Jackson
    6th ave, while they have tried to become a great retailer in the last 10 years or so, used to be a giant grey market wholesaler of electronics if its the same one I remember. Am I remembering this correctly?

YOu cannot pick up a new DVR from any retailer and not incur the new commitment...no matter what the retailer may tell you.

18. slopokdave

slopokdave Cool Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Hard to believe they would like like that. I've bought from them several times in the past and never felt any shadiness.

19. Mike Greer

Mike Greer Hall Of Fame

Jan 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    Remember - not only would it start a new 2 year deal you would still not own it. If you cancel 3 days from activating it you'll be out what you paid plus the ETF!

20. slopokdave

slopokdave Cool Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Exactly, bummer isn't it.

I don't know, if they would get me one at no cost and just sign the new contract I may do it. Or just wait until my current is up in 8 months then I will have additional leverage.

Comcast isn't great in my area (IMO) and we've been overall happy with DTV (except for the current audio dropout issues)