What HDMI splitter works with this new HDCP headache Directv started on July 9?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by tadtv, Jul 11, 2015.

1. tadtv

tadtv Cool Member

May 11, 2009
    What HDMI splitter works with this new HDCP headache Directv started on July 9? Have a HR22 feeding main TV above fireplace using HDMI and a dozen other sets all over using component cables to a DA in a tech room that then feeds the rest of the house. When main TV powers off, the HR22 sends out the dreaded "show copy protected use component cables"- which I am already using on most of my TVs. Not practical to unplug HDMI cable to rack mounted equipment and TV recessed above fireplace. I need an HDMI splitter that is powered that keeps the HR22 happy. What actually works? Thanks Directv's solutions were all frustrating for a long time customer of a dozen years.

2. inkahauts

inkahauts Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2006
    To be clear it's not a DIRECTV issue. It's reality of Hollywood being a PITA.

Not sure if a splitter will work or not to get around that. I'd try a power splitter (no passive will ever work from what I have seen and heard) from monoprice. I use a matrix splitter switch from then (4x2) but I've never seen if it fakes the TV into believing it's always connected.

If I have time I can try and check sometime this weekend.

3. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    It looks like the model I have is no longer available but I have a 1x4 powered splitter from Monoprice that definitely keeps the DVR happy and the component outputs alive. It is similar to this 1x8: http://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=8205

4. nowandthen

nowandthen DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Nov 18, 2005
    California
    I am almost at the end of my rope with TV pricing. $118 per month (Directv) and I don't have any premium channels. This DRM adds insult to injury. I was running the monoprice component to composite converter and distributing it to other TVs in my house. The qualtiy at the other TVs was not great but was watchable. Now this!
    I need a solution that works or I'm cutting the cable. The geniuses requiring DRM are not making any friends. Only driving people away.

So if anyone has success with distributing SD or HD from a Directv reciever, post 7-9-2015, please post your equipement.

WTF is hollywood thinking?

5. drill

drill Legend

Jun 28, 2006
    i have used several different monoprice hdmi splitters and switches. they have all worked well. a few years ago i had a couple of monoprice 1->2 splitters that died after about 9 months of usage. monoprice replaced them under warranty. i haven't had any other issues with monoprice hdmi splitters/switches.

i currently have 2 HR24's. 1 HR24 drives a Monoprice 1->2 splitter that drives a TV and then a long run of hdmi over cat6 extender. the output of the extender goes to a monoprice 1->4 splitter that drives 2 different TVs and a wireless HDMI switch/transmitter. the other HR24 is connected to a Monoprice 1->2 splitter that drives a TV and the other input of the wireless HDMI switch/transmitter.

6. GAM

GAM Member

Jun 3, 2007
  7. rwmair

rwmair Godfather

Nov 16, 2006
    So you just use the HDMI splitter as a pass-thru, with one input from the DVR and one output going to your TV, second HDMI output is unused?

8. GAM

GAM Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Yes, that is exactly how I am using it and it has been working with no issues.

9. Eva

Eva Active Member

Nov 8, 2013
    My neighbour who has cable gotten a notice in her bill saying that they will be "improving security" and how some things are connected may no longer function. Looks like Hollywood is getting tougher.

10. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...

Just be advised that these inexpensive so titled "HDCP compliant" compliant splitters may be using unauthorized HDCP keys. So while they may work for now the keys could be revoked in the near future causing the splitter to fail the HDCP authentication process and once again back in the same boat with blacked out A/V and the dreaded content protection notice will reappear.

11. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    For cable that could either mean they are making HDCP changes similar to what Directv has done, or mean encrypting all their QAM channels - so plugging the cable into a TV without a cable box to view SD channels will no longer work.

But yes, both are symptoms of Hollywood's paranoia. Of course Hollywood thought VCRs were going to destroy them and tried to have them made illegal in the early 80s, shows what they know!

12. Blackloz

Blackloz New Member

Aug 23, 2011
    What we need is a few big power players in the business to tell the studios no. If they want their channels/shows/movies distributed then they do it our way. No HDCP at all.

13. slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    Studios ARE the big power players. It is far too late, if you wanted to fight this battle you should have fought it during the 90s when HDCP was created.

14. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    You'd have never won that fight. Never.

15. ssandhoops

ssandhoops AllStar

Dec 2, 2007
    So what exactly did D start on July 9? I have a Slingbox like unit connected via component cables and I used to only get the dreaded "content not supported" message on HBO when the TV was powered off. Now I get it on every channel. So D enabled HDCP on every channel?

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk

16. longrider

longrider Well-Known Member

Apr 21, 2007
    Elizabeth, CO
    That is correct, it is on every HD channel even locals.

17. Aridon

Aridon Mentor

Mar 12, 2007
    If you want to win the fight cancel and torrent.

18. dualsub2006

dualsub2006 Icon

Aug 28, 2007
    My Slingbox M1 on my HR44 runs through this switch and it still works like a charm:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0049SCB2Y/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1436933881&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX200_QL40&keywords=kinivo+hdmi+switch

My Slingbox Solo is connected to an HR23 that that wasn't connected via that switch on a second TV. Moving the HR23 to the switch, and now it works as expected with the Slingbox.

Also, I can now watch HBO via the Slingbox, and if I'm not mistaken that wasn't possible before.

Sent from my Z970 using Tapatalk

19. inkahauts

Nov 13, 2006
    Yeah, that's how to do it, steal the content so they can decide to try and make it even more difficult. Its here, its going to stay, its life. The only reason there wasn't more of it before is its so much easier to hand copies to people once you have them now than it was when everyone simply used vcr tapes. They have always been high on piracy, its is a MAJOR problem around thew world... They lose BILLIONS of dollars a year in other worlds because of stuff being pirated here. Can you really blame them?

1 person likes this.
  20. HoTat2

HoTat2 Hall Of Fame

Nov 16, 2005
    Los...
    But then you had to remove the second TV formally connected to the HR23 by HDMI?

Sent from my SGH-M819N using Tapatalk