1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What I learned while downgrading pt. 1: Family package

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Programming' started by Heisenberg, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Cool Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Hey, longtime lurker, first post. The information this forum has provided has been invaluable.

If it helps anyone, I wanted to pass along a few things I found out through trial and error while downgrading my package over the past few months (from Premier to Family -- I know, a long ways to drop -- just like my paycheck has been doing). As I've learned the hard way, DirecTV's Web site isn't very accurate and CSRs don't always know what they're talking about.

The Family package pretty much stinks (can't you give me one sports channel, anything? An RSN? ESPNews?), but I opted to stick with that instead of going OTA only with a TIVO and leave the option of upgrading during football season. It does however, offer the following (despite what the Web site claims):

*101 (quickly becoming one of the best channels)
    *Science (nice bonus I didn't expect)
    *Interactive Weather channel

It DOES NOT offer any of the mix channels (much to my chagrin).

2. Tom Robertson

Tom Robertson Lifetime Achiever DBSTalk Club

Nov 15, 2005
    Welcome to the forums! :welcome_s

And thanks for the current updates.

Lastly--may your paycheck quickly recover to a standard to which we'd all like to be accustomed. :)

Cheers,
    Tom

3. spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
    Thanks for the feedback Heisenberg, hope your paycheck starts rising (and mine) so you can upgrade during football season.

4. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Cool Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Thanks for the good thoughts. And I'll definitely be back during football season -- we won't be able to afford to travel to see the inlaws this summer, but priorities are priorities, right? :)

5. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    As stated in some other threads, to get a bit more of a HD fix you might consider the international Preferred Choice package at $35.99. You also need to subscribe to at least one international channel, but there is a Filipino radio channel at $4.95 which qualifies.

6. Heisenberg

Heisenberg Cool Member

Apr 20, 2009
    Thanks for the info, bob. I did see some mention of that in other posts and considered it -- checking the Web site, it appears to me they no longer offer the Filipino radio channel as a standalone option? It was on there when I checked a few months ago, but I wondered if DirecTV has since moved to close the International "loophole." :)

7. Galley

Galley Legend

Apr 2, 2007
    The Family Package may stink, but it is superb compared to the DirecTV Basic package. :ewww:

8. dshu82

dshu82 Icon

Jul 6, 2007
    Shopping and religion? Wow, have never seen that before.... :eek2:

9. ronsanjim

ronsanjim Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    Cherokee...
    I beg to differ. The Basic is $12.99, while the Family is $32.99. Nothing in the Family listing is worth $20 bucks extra. When I go on vacation I always switch to the Basic. Why pay for something not being viewed?

10. ronsanjim

ronsanjim Godfather

Mar 18, 2008
    Cherokee...
    Again, this is wrong info, it is a video channel, music, and San Francisco Asian comedy club standups, all in English, for $4.99.

MYX - Asian American Music, Channel 2067
    MYX is the ultimate music video and lifestyle channel for young Asian Americans. It plays the hottest major label hits, massive Asian jams and indie music around the clock.

11. bobnielsen

bobnielsen Éminence grise

Jun 29, 2006
    Bainbridge...
    I suspect that those are all channels for which Directv pay zilch (and in some cases is paid to carry them).

12. ThomasM

ThomasM RF Engineer

Jul 20, 2007
    Milwaukee, WI
    I didn't even know the "DirecTV basic package" existed! It is cleverly hidden if you log into their web site as an existing customer.

This package must be to compete with DISH's "bronze 100" but the "bronze 100" is only 10 bucks and it has channels you actually would watch like TNT, USA, etc. But it doesn't have locals. And DISH nickel-and-dimes you to death like cable.

I think if you need to sink to this level due to the recession, you'd be better off just going OTA with a TiVo...or just OTA with a VCR!!! (free)

13. Jeremy W

Jeremy W Hall Of Fame

Jun 19, 2006
    You know you can actually just suspend your account and pay nothing while you're on vacation?

14. bleggett29

bleggett29 Legend

Feb 2, 2008
    I'd like to add that if, via the website, you drop down to Family from Choice Xtra + HD DVR, you need to call DTV to get them to add HD access back. There's no way to do it online--even if you add on the HD extra pack.
    Found out the hard way when I switched before going to work (4PM-12AM) and coming home to have none of that nights recorded shows viewable.
    So far the only channel I miss not having is Fox Business and maybe CNN. Since BSG, SGA & SG-1 are over, I don't need SCI-FI anymore. Everything else I lost I hardly ever watched.

15. wipeout

wipeout Icon

Jul 15, 2003
    This no longer qualifies. I tried twice, they have closed the loophole.