1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What if I can't get a coax to my home router for MRV?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Connected Home' started by 996911, Aug 21, 2010.

1. 996911

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    So I have been reading through all the MRV threads I can (my brain hurts) and I think I am slowly getting it. My current setup (installed 3-4 years ago) is just 4 lines coming out of the dish into my home with 2 lines going to the R15 and 2 lines going to the HR20.

I want to add one more HD DVR box to the mix and add MRV. From what I understand how a new install would look...it would be one line coming from the dish to a SWM module and then a single line to each of the boxes as well as a single coax line running to my internet router. The problem I have is my internet router is located in an inner closet that I have no way to get a coax line to it without doing some serious wall fishing and potential destruction. So, how can I have my setup done? I was told in another thread that I need to make sure and order the ICK as well but then again I have no idea what the ICK is and what it does.

I want to make sure I have all my ducks in a row and have a home that will support the setup before I call to schedule anything instead of having an installer show up and then say.....sorry sir, can't make this setup work with what you have here.

Damn I hate not fully understanding this technology.

Thanks for any advice y'all can offer.

2. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    The ICK is the "Internet Connection Kit". That's the one DECA adapter (and power supply) that you need to connect your MRV network to your router.

You can do without it and not worry about the connection to your router, MRV will work just fine. You won't be able to access a lot of the "On Demand" content, however. You'll have access to some, because DirecTV recently started downloading a limited selection of "On Demand" titles to our boxes via the Sat. You just won't have access to the full library of 1000's of titles.

You could also consider a wireless bridge or powerline adapter from your router to the "broadband" DECA that comes with the ICK, but I'd only do that as a last resort, if you really want access to all the "On Demand" titles. Just my .02.

3. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    The DECA for the internet connection doesn't have to be at your router, do you have any other location that has an ethernet connection back to your router where you can get coax run to? If yes, and you don't have one already there, get an ethernet switch and have them install the ICK/broadband DECA there and then use that ethernet run back to your router.

And as the prior poster mentioned, just have them install the broadband DECA and then get a powerline or wireless adapter, since DirecTV on Demand isn't realtime viewing it doesn't need as much bandwidth or QoS as MRV does.

4. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    Good point, RAD. I always forget that! If there's one room in the house with an existing ethernet connection and an HR, all you need is a $10-$20 switch to turn that into multiple runs back to your router. Then the installer can just split the coax in that room, sending one leg to the broadband DECA and the other to the HR's DECA (or right to the HR, if it's a 24).

Or if there's an existing internet connection is in a room next to a room with an internet connection, you may be able to drill through a baseboard to achieve the above.

5. 996911

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    **Forgive some of the Apple terminology** :)

There is a wall outlet in the walk-in storage attic where the sat lines comes in. I could plug in an Airport Express wireless network extender off my my Airport Extreme (connected to my cable modem) that is my main wireless router in the location I can't get a coax to. The Air Port Extreme has a cat5 connection on it that I could run a line into the DECA for the ICK. Would that work?

Thanks y'all for being so patient with me :)

6. RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Don't know anything about Apple stuff, but I would guess as long as that will wirelessly connect back to the base then it should work. Guess you try puttin it there and then connect your laptop to the ethernet port and see if you have a connection via that link, if yes then the DECA should also work.

7. 996911

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    I can definitely try that right now. I'll post back in a sec. Thanks again!

8. 996911

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    It works. I have the wireless card turn off on my laptop and connected an ethernet line from the laptop to the airport extreme and have a great connection. Looks like I am good to go, no?

9. Steve

Steve Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2006
    Lower...
    :up:

10. 996911

996911 Go Pack!

Aug 24, 2006
    Tobacco...
    Thanks y'all for all the help! I just got off the phone with D* and ordered MRV, ICK, HDDVR. The install was $99 and they threw in the ICK at no additional charge and also knocked $50 off the HD DVR. Install is next Friday. Wahoo!!!

11. Dazed & Confused

Dazed & Confused Godfather

Jun 13, 2007
    I have the DECA Broadband Adapter plugged into a Linksys WGA600N wireless bridge, and it works just fine for On Demand stuff.

12. dennisj00

dennisj00 Hall Of Fame

Sep 27, 2007
    Lake Norman, NC
    Wireless and even a crappy powerline bridge should work for on-demand. You're limited there by your connection speed and a lot of other factors on the way.