What I'm Finding Out About Myself From Streaming-Only...

Discussion in 'Internet Streaming Services' started by B. Shoe, Feb 26, 2020.

1. B. Shoe

B. Shoe Mentor

Apr 3, 2008
    Illinois
    So I've been in a streaming-only setup since early September 2019. I've been toying around with the following services since I fully dove into the world of streaming:

YouTube TV (Local news and live sports. Most of my other viewing on this platform revolves around event-based programs like Oscars, special events, etc.)
    HBO NOW (Have always enjoyed HBO original programming. I don't, however, find myself watching movies as often through this platform as I did when I was subscribed via satellite.)
    Disney+ (My daughter loves it and it's in heavy rotation.)
    ESPN+ (Multi-view mode is great on big game nights, and the network of available game content and some added features appeals to me.)
    Apple TV+ (I subscribed to this upon launch, but I just haven't found myself diving into this platform. I think I might like some of these programs, but time hasn't been on my side to watch. And researching upcoming programs, there's nothing there that really wants me holding onto this month-to-month.)
    Netflix (I've held onto this for my daughter. But with some of the removal/redistribution of programs to other platforms, I'm not sure there's a lot to keep me hanging around.)
    Hulu (I activated this as part of the Disney bundle. I'm not sure if there's a ton that intrigues me. But it's essentially free content, so I don't have any need to remove it.)

So what am I figuring out? Sort of what I anticipated from the start; I simply don't access as much of this content as I thought I might. Especially not in a time in my life where my daughter is keeping me busy with activities outside of the home most evenings. My total monthly bill is $95, which is still considerably less than what I was paying for my satellite provider and something I can afford. But I'm at a point where I believe I can feel confident dropping Netflix, and most likely Apple TV+. Why spend the dollars that I could allocate to something else?

As always, the best part of streaming is that each viewing experience is different. What services are you looking at going "Why am I giving money to this each month?"

Last edited: Feb 26, 2020
  2. Holydoc

Holydoc Legend

Feb 17, 2008
    Panhandle, FL
    Shoe,
    I stream a bit different than you. Once I no longer need a service, I drop it. Seems to me, that you are a bit more loyal than I am.

For instance, HBO. I subscribed to binge "Game of Thrones" and then dropped it. I will subscribe again for "Westworld" with every intentions of cancelling it after I watch it.

One of the things I try to do is to try to budget where I can. Granted I do not like commercials so I am always paying extra for that feature. The exception here is CBS. The CBS website allows me to go to it and stream all their current season shows for free. You can even fast forward through the commercials. So the question for me is "Why pay for CBS All Access?" The only reason I would pay would be to binge watch a Star Trek season.

Netflix is another service that I use to Binge. When a new season of a show comes on, for instance Stranger Things, I wait until the season ends, and then subscribe. I binge the season and then cancel once my month is over. During that time, I can catch up on any movies that I currently wish to see with the mind set that I am cancelling at the end of the month.

The one I am having problems cancelling is Philo. My wife loves the Hallmark movies and Philo seems to be the best way to get those. The problem is that there are SO MANY Hallmark Christmas movies that I end up keeping Philo streaming. So I have to pay the $19.99/month.

My typical streaming bill is ~ $40/month. Currently that includes Hulu w/no adds, Disney+, ESPN+, and Philo. My bill will soar to ~$70/month once football season starts again.

I think the wonderful thing about streaming is that YOU dictate your bill. YOU decide on what programs to subscribe to. Unlike cable or satellite tv, YOU are in complete control of the channels you want and how big a bill you are willing to pay.

B. Shoe likes this.
  3. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Hallmark is always in the mix, can't get away from it. We stream kinda like you. Everybody is gonna do it the way they want to. For instance, I have no use for a cable replacement service.

Rich

4. kevinwmsn

kevinwmsn Hall Of Fame

Aug 19, 2006
    If Hallmark channels could get in YoutubeTV, then it would check a lot of boxes for wife acceptance factor.

5. lparsons21

lparsons21 Hall Of Fame

Mar 4, 2006
    Herrin, IL
    I had decided on YTTV because for all its warts, it works OK and had all the channels I want in one place. But it is $15/more than a different solution of mixed apps would be. Because it had all my locals, and a few channels of minor interest that my alternate solution I decided the $15 wasn’t so bad. But when I got the email about cancelling the RSNs it made me rethink. Always dangerous!

So it is Sling Blue to cover my 9 must have cable channels for the few shows on them I actually like and can’t reasonably get otherwise.

Plus, Hulu basic no ads to cover NBC, Fox & ABC, and a few others with next day coverage. And CBS All Access no ads. I would keep those regardless of any other choices. And I use Apple’s TV app to somewhat manage it. Not quite as handy as YTTV but what the heck, it isn’t like I don’t have time to waste flipping around.

6. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I can't believe how popular that channel is. My wife is always on it. All I see is terrible acting, producing, directing and casting.

Rich

dreadlk, 242424 and mjwagner like this.
  7. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    I wish ALL streaming apps could do this. :)

mjwagner likes this.
  8. mjwagner

mjwagner Icon

Oct 8, 2005
    Agreed. That is the one thing I really missed when I transitioned from PSVue to YTTV.

9. phrelin

phrelin Hall Of Fame DBSTalk Club

Jan 18, 2007
    Northern...
    As I've noted in other threads, I try to schedule viewing in a traditional weekly fashion. Based on the past few years at an ongoing cost of $80 a month typically per week I average:
    • 8 shows from CBS All Access ($9.99, no ads)
    • 9 shows from Hulu ($11.99, no ads)
    • 4 shows from Netflix ($12.99, no ads)
    • 4 shows from HBO ($14.99, no ads)
    • 3 shows from Amazon Prime ($0.00, no ads)
    • 1 show from Acorn TV ($5.00, no ads)
    • 2 shows from Philo ($20.00, ad skip)
    • 1 show from PBS ($5.00 donation, ad at beginning of show)
    There is considerable variation in the number of weekly shows from each streamer depending upon the time of year (seasons). Depending upon what's on, I add, then drop:
    • Showtime ($5.00, no ads)
    • Britbox ($6.99, no ads)
    The fact is that $80.00 a month is the cheapest my monthly TV cost has been in decades.

Once ViacomCBS gets its no-ads act together it is possible I'll drop Philo. I have no idea what impact Peacock will have. The pluses, Disney and Apple, haven't attracted my interest.

10. wmb

wmb Godfather

Dec 17, 2008
    I had DirecTV for that a little over 2 years ago, then $75 in bill credits expired and the bill doubled.

Since then, I did 2@3 month DirecTV Now subscriptions for $45/month that got me an Apple TV each. Eventually that price climbed to almost $80 per month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. garn9173

garn9173 Icon

Apr 4, 2005
    Ankeny, IA...
    All I pay for is YTTV and have basic Hulu free through Sprint but that's out of sight out of mind for me. Having multiple streaming services IMO defeats the purpose of cord cutting. Philo has definitely carved out a niche for those who don't care for sports and need the Hallmark channels which I have no interest in the Hallmark channels.

12. crkeehn

crkeehn Godfather

Apr 22, 2002
    Yeah, ain't it great? :)

13. dreadlk

dreadlk Hall Of Fame

Sep 18, 2007
    Earth
    Netflix is the last streaming service I would drop. I am heavily invested in at least six series that they show. It's hard to find a better value for the $$. The one secret I found to Netflix that might make it more enjoyable for new people is to go through the shows you know and love and click on them and then scroll down and give them a Thumbs Up vote. They will not show up in your list of shows that are in your Queue if you do it right.

After searching for about 20-30 shows and rating them my recommended show list changed and a lot more of the shows I actually liked showed up.

14. LTYRS

LTYRS Member

Sep 23, 2019
    Agree with you, horrible productions and acting......but my wife loves it

15. wmb

wmb Godfather

Dec 17, 2008
    Free HD Netflix from T-Mobile here. That’s one aspect of streaming that seems ignored. It seems cell providers like bundling a streaming service with their service.

Oh, T-Mobile is also giving away MLB At Bat (or whatever the out-of-market package is called) to subscribers again this year.

So, aside from YTTV, I pay for the Disney+ bundle. This is an upgrade from just ESPN+ bought to watch MLS. We’ve been streaming Clone Wars and Rebels on Disney+.

I can’t believe how lucky I got that my wife would rather watch Clone Wars, MLS, or Steven Universe than anything on Hallmark.

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Different strokes, what can we do?

Rich

17. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Yeah, I agree. Be nice if all the apps were forced to emulate NF, but that won't happen. One thing they could do with the NF interface is make deleting shows from My List easier. I keep trying to remember to try this on one of my computers. Let me do it right now...nope, same thing happens, scroll thru My List and pick a series to delete and as soon as I delete it My List goes back to the beginning. This should be fixed.

But, we complain about little things with NF and you go on other apps and they're so bad you can't wait to get back on NF.

Rich

dreadlk and 242424 like this.
  18. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Gender gap. No sense in trying to understand it.

Rich

19. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    When the time comes for US to sit down and watch TV we usually have what I would call "quality shows" on the TV. She has no problem with that, never asks me if I want to watch the Hallmark shows. What I don't get is how anyone can go from a series like Outlander (series we are watching at this time) to the ***** on Hallmark and actually enjoy it. Kinda like having a bottle of Bass Ale and then having a bottle of Bud Lite. That would make no sense to me either. (I have been having beer urges lately.)

Rich

20. wmb

wmb Godfather

Dec 17, 2008
    Nice Bordeaux followed by Yellowtail moscato. (I’ve been drinking more wine.. beer is too filling)

I’d also point out John 2:6-10.