What is going on with my brand new hr24

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by minorthr, Dec 5, 2010.

1. Dec 5, 2010 #1 of 14
    minorthr

minorthr Legend

Mar 18, 2003
    About 2 weeks ago Directv came out for some issues I was having with my HR23 and replaced it with an HR24. Since then every day when I turn the TV on the DVR is at a bluescreen saying there was a storage error and to reboot or call Directv and gives a diag code of 14-178. I would reboot and it would work fine till the next day.

Then yesterday I rebooted it, it came up to a scan disk type screen and when that finished it said there was a storage issue and gave diag code 15-425 and no matter how many times I reboot it it will not come back up.

I called Directv who initially tried to tell me that I just needed to reboot my home router and that would resolve the issue, which I did just to appease them and of course it didn't resolve the issue.

The diag codes seem to mean nothing to them because they can not tell me what is wrong and once again are sending a guy to my house to look at the new receiver now.

Anyone have any ideas? Seems to me that the HDD in it is bad/going bad hence the storage errors.

2. Dec 5, 2010 #2 of 14
    RAD

RAD Well-Known Member

Aug 5, 2002
    Dripping...
    Here's a link to a list of codes, http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=167420. It says to reboot once and if it still fails to replace the receiver.

I'd call again and if you get the run around again ask for a supervisor to escalate the issue to get the receiver replaced.

3. Dec 5, 2010 #3 of 14
    minorthr

minorthr Legend

Mar 18, 2003
    Directv must have a different list then lol because i was on the phone with tech support, then some advanced tech support that called me back and they still insist on sending someone out here instead of just replacing it.

4. Dec 5, 2010 #4 of 14
    Mrmiami

Mrmiami Legend

Oct 3, 2006
    Well to be fair Customer service does not have the technical knowledge to know what all these codes are suppose to mean - You need to speak to the technician dept but customer service has to run through the book to find a point where they can determine it's time for them to transfer the call which can take quite a bit of time and make you feel like your jumping through hoops for them. As Rad has sugested just go to asking for a supervisor right away they will still suggest a couple of things- - just tell them they've already been done and you want this problem escalated, what happened is, you basically wound up with someone else's junk and will need a different receiver until you find one that works as it should- customer service will try to bill you for a service call, don't let them for it's not your fault they gave you a box that has not been fully tested out before being put back in the field- -happens all to often nowadays and it shouldn't but everybody is cutting cost's and corners now so....

5. Dec 5, 2010 #5 of 14
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    He said in the title the 24 is brand new.

6. Dec 5, 2010 #6 of 14
    JACKIEGAGA

JACKIEGAGA N.Y. FOOTBALL GIANTS

Dec 11, 2006
    Long Island, NY
  7. Dec 5, 2010 #7 of 14
    Mrmiami

Mrmiami Legend

Oct 3, 2006
    guess I just assume by brand new he meant the latest/newest receiver in the market if it's truely fresh outa the box then I say he got a junker. Thanks for bringing my attention back into focus on the title though, probably shouldn't have assumed anything...you know what they say about that? :>)

8. Dec 5, 2010 #8 of 14
    spartanstew

spartanstew Dry as a bone

Nov 16, 2005
    Wylie, Texas
  9. Dec 5, 2010 #9 of 14
    sigma1914

sigma1914 Well-Known Member

Sep 5, 2006
    Allen, TX
    I make mistakes, too...Sometimes. ;):lol:

Their refurb screening is probably pretty crappy, though.

10. minorthr

minorthr Legend

Mar 18, 2003
    I did speak to the tech department and they also insist on sending someone out as they now think its a loose ground wire :nono2:

I have the protection plan so I wont be billed for a service call or anything.

Guy is allegedly coming today between 2 and 4.

11. minorthr

minorthr Legend

Mar 18, 2003
    So guy shows up to look at it. Goes right to the dish, replaces the LNB, comes in the house looks at the receiver which is now giving a diag code of 21. Which according to the links here is bad disk, replace receiver.

Guy then replaces multiswitch. Reboots receiver and it comes up. Live TV is playing and he says looks like it is fixed.

I spent 10 minutes trying to convince him that if he leaves him or someone is going to be coming back because its going to lock up again. Luckily it freezes during live TV and he decides well maybe he should replace it.

Goes out to truck comes back and wants to swap my HR24 with an HR20. Right away I told him no way your doing that, he says that is all he has. Goes back outside and comes back with an HR24.

Replaces that then I take him upstairs and show him the other box which is an hr20 and he replaces that.

Then since both of my boxes are owned we have to spend 30 minutes on hold with directv to get the access card department so they can activate them as owned and not leased because apparently they are the only ones who can do that.

Hopefully I'm good to go now.

12. hombresoto

hombresoto Legend

Sep 10, 2006
    Wow! As a tech I would have verified signals at the input and replaced the box if they were acceptable. I would not have bothered with the lnb or multiswitch. I also would not have replaced the HR20 unless it wasn't working or wasted my time with the access card dept arguing over owned for owned replacement status. That is between directv and you.
    Then again I don't usually do service calls anymore, or upgrades for that matter.

13. minorthr

minorthr Legend

Mar 18, 2003
    I should have added the HR20 upstairs was having issues as well. He didnt just replace it to replace it.

14. hombresoto

hombresoto Legend

Sep 10, 2006
    Fair enough. In that case I would've replaced that as well.
    EDIT: As a completely unrelated side note I was just informed I have 4 AM jobs tomorrow. That works out perfect considering I have to re stock the van with receivers and I cannot start that evolution until 8am, when i'm supposed to be on site at my first job. I just laughed. There's nothing else I can do at this point. I'm used to being late. 98% of the time it is not my fault.
    Whatever.