What is HR20 capacity and can it be increased?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by timmy2, Jan 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timmy2

timmy2 Cool Member

Jan 7, 2007
    What is the quoted SD recording capacity of the HR20 (or what size drive does it come with)?

It's my understanding that its eSATA connection works but the capacity remains the same regardless of the external drive used. True?

2. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    SD recording capacity?
    About 250-300 hours.

If you attach a larger then 300gb eSATA drive... it will be what ever size you add.

Add a 1TB eSATA solution...
    1,000+ hours of SD
    ~175 hours of MPEG-4 HD

3. houskamp

houskamp Active Member

Sep 14, 2006
    300 gig drive 200 hours SD/50 hours mpeg4/30 hours mpeg2
    Check the resources sub-forum.. lots of info there.. on guy (nut?:lol:) has 3.75 terabyte added..thats 22 weeks straight :rolleyes

4. timmy2

timmy2 Cool Member

Jan 7, 2007
    I apologize for not having read further in the thread entitled "eSATA - Has been enabled, but...." In the early posts drive capacity was in some way stunted but some firmware upgrades must've fixed that.

Thanks for the helpful replies! Very cool to hear that drive capacity is essentially unlimited. So now I just have to get over all the recent posts about black screens, lost recordings, etc. :confused: and bite the bullet.

5. mikeliedke

mikeliedke Cool Member

Dec 21, 2006
    What are some reliable options that have tested/worked well with the HR20? What are approximate costs and where can we buy these?

Thanks in advance!
    Mike

6. Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich Lifetime Achiever

Nov 15, 2005
    All sorts of options have been tried..

The referenced thread in the Information subforum, talks a lot about what people have tried.

A standard 500gb eSATA solution is going to set you back about $300 (roughly).

To start getting bigger then that, you are looking at RAID solutions and other items.

I have been chatting with a 3rd party vendor (not affiliated at all with DirecTV). They have been working on a product, that may be very intresting to HR20 users.

If you can make it through the rest of the TV Season with the current system. I would wait a little while before making a big $$$ invesment.

7. mikeliedke

mikeliedke Cool Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Thanks, I'll check that out!

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.