1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the best and worst new HD channel

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by jason williams, Sep 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jason williams

jason williams AllStar

Jan 24, 2007
    The best is the weather channel and the worst is the Smithsonion for constant recycling

2. jsirwin

jsirwin Cool Member

Jan 15, 2007
    I have always thought the weather channel was not very good on satelite, SD or HD because you don't get the local radar and the true local on the 8's like you do on cable. So I vote worst unless they start putting some info babes in bikinis. SD for the weather channel was fine.

For best I would say Smithsonian because it is new and unique programming.

3. Directvlover

Directvlover Legend

Aug 27, 2007
    I also vote Smithsonian as the best. It's the one i've been watching the most actually....also visually it seems to have the most stunning picture....that's the channel i'd use to show off my 50 inch plasma to my buddies.

4. JeffreyT

JeffreyT New Member

Sep 26, 2007
    TBS is the worst. Nothing in HD.

5. phjnky

phjnky New Member

Sep 10, 2007
    I'm not a huge fan of CNN but... I think it's great to be able to watch a news channel in HD, and the quality has been really good. I'd probably pass on the weather channel since it just tends to bore me a bit unless something major going on.

It's hot and humid here. All the time.

6. muzzymate

muzzymate Mentor

Aug 20, 2007
    I second that.
    Best: The Smithsonian Channel

7. gizzorge

gizzorge Legend

Jul 31, 2007
    CNN = best; while I would like another news channel in HD, I can deal. Again, it's not just to see Kiran in HD. I just like a crisp picture.

TBS = worst

8. ansky

ansky Hall Of Fame

Oct 11, 2005
    Hopefully that changes next week when the MLB playoffs start.

I also agree that Smithsonian looks best.

9. cuibap

cuibap Legend

Sep 14, 2006
    Best: Smithsonian
    Worst: TBS

10. 506PIR

506PIR Legend

Sep 21, 2006
    Best: Smithsonian
    I find myself watching Smithsonian the most. Anytime anyone comes over they
    are amazed at how good the PQ is. 2 D* Installers were just over & they couldnt
    believe how good it looked

11. joekun

joekun Legend

Aug 18, 2006
    Worst = Any channel with Stretch-o-vision

I was really disappointed with the History Channel HD, and wouldn't record anything off that channel unless I knew 100% for sure that it was HD. I'd rather watch it OAR from the SD History Channel.

Most anticipated HD channel - SciFi HD (hopefully no stretch-o-vision there, but at least Atlantis and BSG should be true HD).

12. Clato

Clato Banned User

Aug 30, 2007
    What is the best I haven't figured that one out yet,so far i like them all, on my favorite's channel

What is the worst new HD channel (local)
    i don't care if mary loves jack who is having an affair with betty his best friends wife, who is in love with john who if the father of jackies (his cousin) baby who is married to tom who is gay for charlie who is planing a divorce from his wife who is in love with Doctor Jane,who is marrie to mike, who is having an affair with Elizibeth,
    the soap opera's

13. Ed Campbell

Ed Campbell Hall Of Fame

Feb 17, 2006
    Ditto.

I tried to send a "bulk" letter to Time-Warner criticizing their overall backwards attitude to HD and couldn't anything at their website for an email. Snail mail or a phone call [there's a thrill].

14. Crypter

Crypter Godfather

Jun 21, 2007
    The Best: Smithsonian and All the Starz Channels. Been watching a lot of movies lately!

15. morgantown

morgantown Icon

Nov 15, 2005
    From the delivery of signal side I give DIRECTV a big thumbs up for all of them. However, as mentioned above the content providers have much catching up to do in actually delivering HD content for their HD channels.

That said, it is still a great step forward. It's just going to take time for the TBS's and TNT's on the channel list to actually have HD-produced "repeats" to give us (goodness knows that is 90% of their programming). As far as the others -- get more HD channels in the field -- we're watching!

My favorite has got to be Smithsonian for this week...

16. Guesst925XTU

Guesst925XTU Legend

Jan 28, 2004
    Ocean...
    BEST:
    #1- Smithsonian
    #2 - CNN
    #3 - Discovery Science

WORST:
    #1 - Versus
    #2 - Golf Channel
    #3 - A & E

17. jtcrusader

jtcrusader Legend

Jun 13, 2007
    BEST: Smithsonian
    Runner-up: CNN
    #3: The Weather Channel

VS/GOLF seems OK. HD quality but in 4x3 format.

WORST: No contest...TBS. Just awaiting MLB playoffs, though

18. HarleyD

HarleyD Hall Of Fame

Aug 31, 2006
    Let me also say I think the Smitsonian Channel is the best.

The worst? Well none of them has been so offensively bad that I take profound notice but I have to hope TBS has some actual HD content in the wings. Otherwise the question "why go HD then?" begs an answer.

19. shellnc

shellnc New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    xactly. Why are sitcoms that were filmed in HD being shown in stretchvision. Everybody loves Raymond is a prime example.

20. TI-STARS

TI-STARS New Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Smithsonian looks great but is repetetive with the programming - sure it will improve.

I agree abotu TBS, if it wasn't for the upcoming MLB playoffs, i would really question why D* lit this one up with the new rollout, could have waited till the next or end of year rollout. Not impressed with picture quality on Big 10 either - of course they are referencing SD alot of the times but even the studio doesn't look all that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.