What is the best remote for the HR250?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by mkxanth, Nov 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mkxanth

mkxanth New Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Sorry if this has been asked before but I didn't see anything exactly like this question when I did a search.

I was wondering if there was any consenus or just opinions on what the best remote is for the hdtivo. Is it one of the Harmony remotes or the MX-??? remotes (not sure of the brand there) or another one?

Some things I think would be nice are:

Ability to use the remote by touch (ie not having to look at it to find the correct button)
    Ability to go to the following dialogs with a single button: Now Playing, To Do List, Season Pass setup, ???
    Turn off/on all components with a single button
    Change to/from dvd/vcr/hdtivo with a single button
    ???

Thanks for any input,
    --Mark

2. Nolzman

Nolzman Legend

Aug 29, 2003
    I use the Home Theater Master MX-700, and I love it. Not only for the HR10-250, but any and all of your A/V Equipment. It is easy to program and change, as you can download the PC program for free. Most equipment is in the IR database, and can also be downloaded from http://www.remotecentral.com/ as a good starting point. You can also grab other remotes codes for you equipment (Prontos CCF) and use the code in you set up. I use it for all my equipment, including Dish and Direct. It can also be had for a lot less than MSRP on ebay. Do the search. I also recommend the above website for remote control questiosn. It has forums and reviews of most major brands.

3. Rick Sass

Rick Sass Cool Member

Jul 11, 2004
    Well I vote for the Harmony 680...

4. SD493

SD493 Legend

Mar 10, 2003
    I'll second all of the above. I havd the MX-700 ( the 500 before that) and I love it. With the editable LCD buttons you can have each button labled for its actual funtion. If the MX-700 is a little more than you want to spend (you can get some great open box buys) I would highly recommend the MX-500.

5. zubinh

zubinh Mentor

Jun 10, 2004
    I love my Harmony 659

6. PaulArking

PaulArking Guest

The Harmony 676 is absolutely amazing! I can't wait to get home and use it again.

7. jester7677

jester7677 AllStar

Mar 7, 2004
    My vote would be for the Harmony 688. I use it for the entire system composed of..

TV
    HR250
    DVD
    Zektor
    Reciever

The macro's for "Watch TV" or "Play DVD" are very useful as pressing that button will est up the entire system as it should be to watch TV or Play a DVD. I also think it is more attractive than the other remotes.

8. MMcKaibab

MMcKaibab New Member

Jan 7, 2004
    And I'll third all of the above. What makes the MX-700 unique is that it is completely programmable and you can do it all on your PC then download your configuration to the thing. Basically, you can get it to do any remote function or functions you want it to do. Haven't seen anything else that even remotely :lol: comes close.

9. jtseltmann

jtseltmann Registered User

Oct 10, 2004
    I have a harmony 659 and love it. Programmed everything from the gas fireplace to the tweaks on the a/v receiver. Friendly and easy to set up...recommend this to anyone with more then one remote and 15 minutes to set up the whole system. The 'activity' buttons are such an easy way to navigate with all the custom button areas you need. The remote feels better than any touch-screen around. Also found it for around a hundred bucks..and you can't beat that!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.