What is the current policy on when you become a new customer?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by SledgeHammer, Feb 10, 2019.

1. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    What is the current policy on when you become a new customer after cancelling to qualify for new customer pricing? A friend at work mentioned he does the "SS# dance". He cancels service and immediately signs up under his wifes SS# at the same address and vice versa. Seems easier then switching providers lol.

2. Rich

Rich DBSTalk Club DBSTalk Club

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    The address doesn't matter when he does that?

Rich

3. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    He said the accounts are tied to the SS#, not the address. If you move, you keep the same account. By opening the account under a different SS#, apparently its a whole new account. That's what he said at least.

4. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    Interesting. So, you could have two separate accounts in one home as long as the SS numbers are different? I don't think I've ever seen any discussions about this. I know it's possible to have multiple accounts in buildings but can you/we do that in single family homes? Two D* accounts, I mean.

Rich

5. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    I don't know about that... I meant he opens it under his SS# to get the promo rates and then cancels when they expire. Then his wife opens up an account under her SS# to get promo rates. They don't keep them both open.

Theoretically, allowing 2 live ones would give DirecTV a lot more money, but knowing how their policies are, I'd bet they'd turn down the money lol. You know, because the software doesn't allow it.

6. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Since when does DirecTV use your SS#? I'm pretty sure I have never had to give them that info.

7. Getteau

Getteau Icon

Dec 19, 2007
    Houston
    They didn't need my SSN when I opened a second account a few years ago. However, with AT&T, who knows. A long, long time ago, it was just name and address. I've been with DTV since 99ish, but my current account only goes back to around 2004. I had a bunch of old RCA gear and one of the early DTV branded receivers. I asked for some discounts and some equipment upgrades and they wouldn't budge. So I canceled the service and signed up a few days later under my wife's name. Got new gear and was able to add the RCA stuff back to the account.

8. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Hmm... I signed up in 2002, so its been a while. I could have sworn I had to give it to them. When I talked to Dish to get an estimate, I could have sworn they ran a credit check and wanted it to.. it has been a while so who knows...

9. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    I signed up in 94 or so. It was right when DirectTV became available here. An appliance store was running a special. I just gave them a name and address and a check for $99 and it was installed the next day. Looked in my AT&T account today...didn't have my SS# in there anywhere.

10. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I hope they would not be stupid enough to put it on their website. :)

11. b4pjoe

b4pjoe New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Well it is AT&T but I would hope not. Still pretty sure I have never given them or DTV my SS#.

12. Michael H..

Michael H.. Member

May 31, 2007
    It always amazes me how folks are paranoid about their personal information being compromised by cyber-security protected databases by foreign hackers, and internet communication breached by criminals using elaborate electronic signal detection devices, etc., but they willingly provide their SSN to businesses that ask without giving it a second thought, businesses that have no legitimate or legal reason to REQUIRE it, and have minimal if any protection in place. Any business can REQUEST that you provide it, but it is amazing how many receptionists, clerks, representatives believe that their employer has a legal right to demand and require that customers supply their SSN. Medical professionals, utility service providers, retail establishments, etc. I don't remember if DirecTV asked for my SSN, when I signed up in '94 with Pegasus, but I know that I didn't give it to them, because I haven't done so with anyone, besides an employer or a lending institution.
    Of course the businesses can opt to decline your patronage, but that is rare. I have had to supply a refundable cash deposit for a period of time for cellular and utilities service, pay up front annually for health club dues, which means no automatic ACH withdrawals, which is another thing I absolutely reject. If you are borrowing money, or receiving goods in advance of billing and payment, you may have to make accommodations such as a deposit, for the business to waive the SSN provision, but if you are giving them money for a non-essential service or product, something you want but can walk away from, there is no reason to give that business financial-critical information, the capability to secure credit cards, online banking accounts, etc., in your name, without your knowledge.
    There have been a few instances, employer-provided health insurance for one, where their patient medical and billing information computer SW account is designed around the SSN, actually requiring the insertion of a "nine-digit-number" in the entry field in order to register the account... I gave them a nine-digit-number.

Rich likes this.
  13. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    Too many companies - and the US Government - use the social security number as identification.
    If you can get service without a credit check you will probably be able to keep your SSN to yourself.
    Otherwise it can be a challenge getting past that question.

14. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I understood what you meant. It made me wonder if having two active accounts in one home was possible. Can't see any advantage to that. Just curious.

Yeah, everytime I make the call I get someone who says the system won't allow me to do that. Seems like a default answer.

Rich

15. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    I was wondering about that too. Don't remember what I had to go thru to get D* tho. All I was concerned about was getting the YES channel before the season started.

Rich

16. Rich

Feb 22, 2007
    Piscataway, NJ
    There it is. If a credit check is made doesn't that mean they have to know your SS#? I signed up in 2002 too. Don't remember a credit check.

Rich

17. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    Dish does a credit check because they offer you better deals if you have a higher credit score. When I checked into them last year, Excellent got you a Hopper 3, but Good and below got you a Duo 2.

Rich likes this.
  18. SledgeHammer

SledgeHammer Icon

Dec 28, 2007
    I believe it. I bet AT&T would LOVE to get everybody on the same account types, costs, policies, etc. to cut costs. Right now they have a lot of grandfathered stuff. AT&T and DirecTV do a lot of dumb stuff, but I gotta say if I was in charge, I wouldn't allow grandfathered stuff. Like whats the point of legacy DVR billing? I'm on that, so I save $5/mo I'm surprised DTV doesn't want my $5/mo.

19. Delroy E Walleye

Delroy E Walleye AllStar

Jun 9, 2012
    Only thing I can think of is wanting to have an HS17 and keep your other H/HRs.

Of course it's not worth paying double, but I didn't know they wouldn't actually let you have two accounts. (Not too surprising these days, though.)

Rich likes this.