1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the difference 0x059C and 0x059e firmware?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by allenn, Feb 22, 2012.

1. allenn

allenn Icon

Nov 19, 2005
    Georgia
    Both HR24s updated this morning to 0x059e. I thought the new firmware release was 0x059C. I am curious what the diffence if any? Thanks in advance.

2. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
  3. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    The current NR rollout started with 59C and then up-reved to 59E before it was even finished. Both versions include Pandora, Energy Saver, and loss of PIG trick play. I don't know the difference between them but it's probably some minor bug fixes and under-the-hood type stuff.

Both versions are listed here: http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?p=2950329#post2950329

4. allenn

allenn Icon

Nov 19, 2005
    Georgia
    Thanks for the replies. Also, YouTube has been moved out of Smart Search and now resides in Extras along with Pandora. Progress Bar is smaller and more transparent. I don't know what Pandora is, but I got to go to the Pandora website and enter a code. I guess I will find out shortly.

5. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Pandora is Internet Radio. Basically, you will be able to stream music via the Internet through your receiver. You create Channels based off of groups or singers and the songs played will be picked based on your selection.

- Merg

6. Bofurley

Bofurley Godfather

Oct 11, 2006
    KS
    I also have the pandora on my receivers, but when I signed up for the one in my office, I am not able to receive it on the other two receivers.
    Anyone have any suggestions on what the work around for this is?
    Thanks,

7. joed32

joed32 Hall Of Fame

Jul 27, 2006
    You need to go to the website and input the codes for each DVR one at a time. The non DVR receivers are not capable of getting Pandora.

8. allenn

allenn Icon

Nov 19, 2005
    Georgia
    Well, I got Pandora working on both HR24s. I like it. I think it is a nice addition, but the setup instructions suck!

To get Pandora setup, I found you have to access it on each D* HD DVR; write down the Activation code; go to a PC; enter Pandora.com/directv; enter the Activation code; setup an account (first time only); return to the HD DVR; and click Next.

The first time I tried to get Pandora to work, I did not leave it active on the DVR. When I entered the activation code on the PC, Pandora accepted the code and sent me and e-mail. When I checked my HD DVR, I found Pandora just offered me another code. I guess it is hard to teach and old dog new tricks!

I have other questions about Pandora Quick Mix. Do I ask them in the DirecTV General Discussion thread?

9. Karnis

Karnis Mentor

Jun 28, 2008
    It turned my HDVR into a piece of crap. Very slow to respond to remote control signals, menu navigation, on screen guide & other functions like bringing up the playback list are painfully slow, and I'm getting constant audio dropouts in DD mode. <ggrrr>

10. Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy Godfather

Jul 9, 2007
    It has done the same to me. Frequently, and I mean FREQUENTLY, not occasionally, all three of my DHDVRs will just become catatonic for varying amounts of time, from a few seconds, to over a minute. They don't acknowledge I have even pressed a button on the remote control during the catatonic phase. It makes navigation of the menu system really frustrating.

11. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    I thought the difference was that 59c had the huge soft-edged time bar and that 59e has the smaller, hard-edged time bar.

12. allenn

allenn Icon

Nov 19, 2005
    Georgia
    You are correct. The progress, time, bar is smaller on 59e.

13. jdspencer

jdspencer Hall Of Fame

Nov 7, 2003
    Got 59e yesterday and I like the smaller status banner.

However, it could be moved a bit lower.

14. TomCat

TomCat Broadcast Engineer

Aug 31, 2002
    It's not out of the realm of possibility that they could give us the power to move it lower if we like. Skinning software UIs is pretty mature technology by now. Wouldn't it be nice if we could choose 4 or 5 colors or sizes of the time bar, how transparent it is, and how long and whether it appears or not?

Unfortunately, DTV seems to either be arrogant enough or mentally challenged enough to really not ever give us user prefs beyond the most rudimentary. Pretty sad.

15. allenn

allenn Icon

Nov 19, 2005
    Georgia
    The transparency is high on my list.

16. Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek Well-Known Member

Jun 13, 2009
    Functionally there is no difference.

17. dah_sab

dah_sab Cool Member

Jul 12, 2006
    My HR24 upgraded to 59e on the 16th, yet here I am still with no YouTube. Not in Smart Search nor Extras. This is very annoying & frustrating. Any tips, or do I just sit & stew?

18. allenn

allenn Icon

Nov 19, 2005
    Georgia
    If you have an internet connection, then you should see YouTube and Pandora in Extras. I suggest you re-run network setup and network services setup, because many times after a firmware upgrade, you can lose your internet connection.

19. MysteryMan

MysteryMan Well-Known Member DBSTalk Club

May 17, 2010
    USA
    First check to see if your receiver is connected to the internet. If your receiver is connected to the internet check the Allow Web Videos setting. If you don't see the setting do a double reset within thirty minutes. This will clear the cache. YouTube and Allow Web Videos should return shortly.

20. Go Beavs

Go Beavs Hall Of Fame

Nov 18, 2008
    Portland,...
    Even with web videos set to 'block' in parental settings, the YouTube icon should still show up in the "Extras" menu. It will just ask you for the passcode before the search function will start.