1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the most economical way to get DTV in two locations?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV Installation/MDU Discussion' started by rbpeirce, Aug 1, 2013.

1. Aug 1, 2013 #1 of 28
    rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    I have had DTV in PA for years. Recently I bought a vacation home in VA. I want to get DTV there as well. I assume I could probably do this through my existing account, but I could also open a new account through Verizon. Is one method better than the other?

2. Aug 1, 2013 #2 of 28
    studechip

studechip Godfather

Apr 16, 2012
    If you are not in both places at the same time, it's acceptable to move a receiver/dvr from one place to another even though it's technically against the terms of service in the contract. Just set up a dish at the vacation house with the same configuration as your home and you should be all set. If the distance is too great, then you may not get your local stations since they are on a spot beam.

3. Aug 1, 2013 #3 of 28
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    If you are not in both places at the same time, it's acceptable to move a receiver/dvr from one place to another even though it's technically against the terms of service in the contract. Just set up a dish at the vacation house with the same configuration as your home and you should be all set. If the distance is too great, then you may not get your local stations since they are on a spot beam.

As long as he updates his service address when he goes to the vacation house (and continues to only use service at one location at a time), he should be fine. As for getting it installed there, he could use Mover's connection. Once everything is installed, he can change the billing address back to the PA address and set the service address to wherever he currently is.

- Merg

Sent from my iPad using DBSTalk mobile app

4. Aug 1, 2013 #4 of 28
    peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    As long as he updates his service address when he goes to the vacation house (and continues to only use service at one location at a time), he should be fine. As for getting it installed there, he could use Mover's connection. Once everything is installed, he can change the billing address back to the PA address and set the service address to wherever he currently is.

- Merg

I wonder how many times a year can a customer change the service address

5. Aug 1, 2013 #5 of 28
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    I wonder how many times a year can a customer change the service address

I thought I've heard that it can be done twice a year, but I don't think there is anything in the TOS about it.

- Merg

6. Aug 1, 2013 #6 of 28
    rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    Thanks everybody, but that isn't exactly the question I was asking. First of all, I have had a condo here for nine years and frequently bring an SD DVR when I come down, so I know about that. I also have permission from several years ago to do this, although I have not checked recently, for obvious reasons. The problem is the Pittsburgh locals are very flakey this far south.

The next issue is I plan to spend two weeks a month in both locations so I need full service, including locals, in both for a while. I don't plan to move for a year or two. Because of the way I use the space, having DTV move my service every two weeks isn't going to work, plus I have several season passes I don't want disrupted.

The Virginia house already had a complete DTV system. I plan to replace it with an HR44, but I believe all the wiring is already in place. I just need to figure out the best way to proceed.

7. Aug 1, 2013 #7 of 28
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Thanks everybody, but that isn't exactly the question I was asking. First of all, I have had a condo here for nine years and frequently bring an SD DVR when I come down, so I know about that. I also have permission from several years ago to do this, although I have not checked recently, for obvious reasons. The problem is the Pittsburgh locals are very flakey this far south.

The next issue is I plan to spend two weeks a month in both locations so I need full service, including locals, in both for a while. I don't plan to move for a year or two. Because of the way I use the space, having DTV move my service every two weeks isn't going to work, plus I have several season passes I don't want disrupted.

The Virginia house already had a complete DTV system. I plan to replace it with an HR44, but I believe all the wiring is already in place. I just need to figure out the best way to proceed.

I wasn't suggesting that you move service, but you request the service address be updated when you switch locations. That will update which locals you will receive.

- Merg

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

8. Aug 1, 2013 #8 of 28
    The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA

I wasn't suggesting that you move service, but you request the service address be updated when you switch locations. That will update which locals you will receive.

- Merg

Sent from my iPhone using DBSTalk mobile app

9. Aug 1, 2013 #9 of 28
    slice1900

slice1900 Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2013
    Iowa
    If you're going to be in both locations at once, you will need to have two accounts. No way around it

10. rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    Not exactly at once but close enough. I was sort of hoping there might be a way to combine both locations in one account and save some money. OTOH, Verizon used to offer a package that included DTV. That's what I have at home and it claims to save me $6/mo, although it is hard to tell the way they currently do their billing.. If still available, I guess I will save $12/mo with two accounts.

11. gov

gov Legend

Jan 11, 2013
    {cough} {cough} Alaska dish {cough} {cough}

:coffee

(LOL, do they still make them ?)

12. rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    I googled Alaska Dish and only came up with DISH network service in Alaska. I don't think that is what you meant, or is it?

13. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    I googled Alaska Dish and only came up with DISH network service in Alaska. I don't think that is what you meant, or is it?
    The bigger reflector is supposed to help you get your locals at the vacation home. although not sure it it will help at all

14. dpeters11

dpeters11 Hall Of Fame

May 30, 2007
    Cincinnati
    If the new house is in an HOA, good luck getting the Alaska dish approved :)

15. trh

trh This Space for Sale

Nov 2, 2007
    NE FL
    Another avenue, might be Slingbox (or similar products).

16. Deputy Fife

Deputy Fife Cool Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Buy an AM-21 to receive local channels over the air at your vacation home.

17. rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    Does the AM-21 need an antenna? I have antenna input to my HD DVR in PA and that works okay because I am at a fairly high level. However, in VA I am in a bit of a hole and might not have line of site to anything.

18. The Merg

The Merg 1*

Jun 24, 2007
    Northern VA
    Does the AM-21 need an antenna? I have antenna input to my HD DVR in PA and that works okay because I am at a fairly high level. However, in VA I am in a bit of a hole and might not have line of site to anything.

Yes, the AM21 is for hooking up to an antennae and supplies that signal to the DVR.

- Merg

19. rbpeirce

rbpeirce Godfather

Feb 23, 2006
    In previous note, if I were to do that, what would show up in my PA guide? Currently, for example, I see channels 4 and 4-1, the former being DTV and the latter OTA. I presume I would see the VA local equivalent of channel 4 but would I also see 4-1 or would that go away? If it goes away, how wold I indicate I want to record it?

20. peds48

peds48 Genius.

Jan 10, 2008
    NY
    The guide will show the locals for the "service address" which appears to be PA