1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the NEW Network Services menu for?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV HD DVR/Receiver Discussion' started by JoeTheDragon, Oct 21, 2008.

1. JoeTheDragon

JoeTheDragon Hall Of Fame

Jul 21, 2008
    Do I have to forward TCP, UDP or both?

2. rhambling

rhambling Godfather

Dec 19, 2007
    i am doing both. no problems

3. Ken S

Ken S RIP

Feb 12, 2007
    Should just require TCP.

4. msmith

msmith Icon

Apr 23, 2002
    If your router supports uPNP (and it's turned on), using Automatic works well.

5. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    The new network services menu is for future functionality. You don't have to do anything with it today if you don't want to, and if you do something with it today it will have no difference to the operation of the DVR.

6. EricRobins

EricRobins Godfather

Feb 9, 2005
    What is it planned for? My router supports uPNP, but Automatic does not work. Do I need to do any port forwarding?

Is there a timetable for the Network Services applications? (I assume the answer is "soon"!) Why bother making the menu items visible in the NR when it has no functionality at this point?

7. Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet The Shadow Knows!

Jun 18, 2006
    Well... it's for a lot of cool stuff that it wouldn't make sense to discuss in a public forum. Sorry, folks, that's all I've got.

8. crawdad62

crawdad62 Godfather

Jul 16, 2008
    I just noticed that my PS3 now shows the HR21 as a media server. It shows all the programs that I've got saved but won't play them.

9. NorfolkBruh

NorfolkBruh Legend

Jun 9, 2007
    SORRY... PUT THIS IN THE ISSUES THREAD BUT REALLY MEANT TO PUT IT HERE... PLEASE FORGIVE THE DUPLICATE POST!

Anyone else have the same issue with their network services?

Yesterday I was listening to music from my pc via my HR20-700. When I went into photos, music, videos I could see my networked pc/laptops. Today that option isn't even there!

Was this "upgrade" supposed to remove this functionality? If not then OOOOPS if so... then oh well.

NorfolkBruh

10. NorfolkBruh

NorfolkBruh Legend

Jun 9, 2007
    anyone?

11. Dan B

Dan B Legend

Mar 6, 2007
    Wow, I see this too with my HR20. :)

Hopefully MRV is in our not-too-distant future.

12. rudeney

rudeney Hall Of Fame

May 28, 2007

Just to correct some semantics, what you are talking about is “Media Share” and not “Network Services”. Media Share is the HR2x’s ability to access shared audio and video content from your networked computers. Network Services is part of a future expansion that will allow the HR2x to use UPnP to open TCP ports outside of your LAN and communicate with directly with servers on The Internet.

Anyhow, I have experienced the same problems with Media Share not seeing my servers after a reboot. It usually corrected itself in time, but if not, you might want to re-run the network setup on the HR2x. Also, one thing that can make this more reliable is to assign a static LAN IP address to the HR2x. You can do this in the HR2x setup, but what might be better is to do it via DHCP reservation by MAC in your router. The HR2x will still use automatic/DHCP settings, but the router will always hand it the same IP.

13. NorfolkBruh

NorfolkBruh Legend

Jun 9, 2007
    Thanks Rude dude... You're right it IS media share. Media Share is no longer available on the Menu. When I re-run the network setup it seems to operate correctly (can download from Direct OnDemand), etc. Static IP is assigned to all HR2x' AND the ONLY change is this download.

I even reverified TVersity and WMP are sharing.
    I also RBR the HR2x and nope... STILL no media sharing!

Norfolk