1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is the Policy on Blackouts of NBA Game Replays (Out of Market)?

Discussion in 'DIRECTV General Discussion' started by GordonGekko, Nov 1, 2018.

1. GordonGekko

GordonGekko Member

Dec 5, 2015
    Since I never watch sports live anyway, I thought it would be cool to dvr the replay of some Lakers games this year, even just to catch the 4th quarter the following day, well the Lakers home channel, I believe it is 696, blacked out the replay directly after the game and the one broadcast the following morning, so I thought that was over but then today on Fox Sports Southwest (Mavs channel), they did not black out the replay of Mavs/Lakers immediately following the game.

Does anyone know the official policy, perhaps if I tape the replay on the opposing team networks it will record Lakers replays?

I realize these leagues try to catch every dollar but how many out of market fans are willing to watch a replay over a live game and we are paying extra for all of these sports channels which I otherwise would never watch and further there are a myriad of Youtube channels that put up 10 minute highlight reels of Lakers games about one hour after the game has ended.

That run on sentence is my way of asking does the NBA have to squeeze every single possible dollar out of their fans?

Update: Just checked and the Lakers home channel 691 is not blocking the replay, so is it just certain games?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
  2. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    Most teams block all the replays, at least in NHL Center Ice

3. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    I have found that, with NBA and MLB, you cannot usually watch replays. I do not have LP or EI. I do not have CI either and, contrary to what the other poster said, I can watch nearly every out-of-market NHL replay on any RSN, with the sports pack. You can only watch replays of NBA games that are local or on national channels, for the most part. The occasional Mavericks or Knicks game replay will be shown, in my experience, but I haven't seen one this season. Looks like you found one.

4. texasbrit

texasbrit Well-Known Member

Aug 9, 2006
    I have sports pack and can;t watch the Bruins replay on NESN

5. ejbvt

ejbvt AllStar

Aug 14, 2011
    VT
    NESN is my local RSN so I can't speak to that one recently. I could watch them when I lived in NC several years ago.

6. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Why not just record the live games and watch them whenever you want?

7. James Long

James Long Ready for Uplink! Staff Member Super Moderator DBSTalk Club

Apr 17, 2003
    Michiana
    I believe he is hoping that the replays are not blacked out even when the live games are blacked out.

8. TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol Hall Of Fame

Oct 1, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Then order the package and watch all the games you want, or order a single team. :)